Mike Rowe answers a ladies question on Corona virus.

I agree with him 100%:

Mike. In a recent post, you said youā€™ve been to Tennessee and Georgia, giving speeches and filming for your new show. Before that, you were on the road shooting for Dirty Jobs. Is it really so important to film a television show in the midst of pandemic? Is it responsible of you to encourage this kind of behavior when infection rates are spiking? Donā€™t you watch the news? More and more cases every day ā€“ arenā€™t you concerned?
Darlene Gabon

Hi Darlene
Of course, Iā€™m concerned. Iā€™m just not petrified.
On March 15th, the day after my part of the country was locked down, I posted a link to an interview with Dr. Michael Osterholm. Iā€™m posting it again, because I believe you and everyone else in the country would benefit from listening carefully to what he has to say. https://bit.ly/2WLOM6o

Dr. Osterholm is the Director of Infectious Disease Research and Policy. This is the same epidemiologist who ten years ago, predicted a coronavirus would come from China and turn our country upside down. In his book ā€œDeadliest Enemies,ā€ he described the utterly irresponsible way in which the media would report on the situation, the completely opportunistic and shamelessly political way our leaders would likely react, and the unprecedented chaos and confusion that would arise from all the mixed messages from the medical community. His resume is unexampled, https://bit.ly/3jvzQTW, and his analysis of the situation is the most logical and persuasive of any Iā€™d heard so far. Heā€™s also the only expert I know of who hasnā€™t walked back his numbers, reconsidered his position, or moved the goalposts with regard to what we must do, what we can do, and what he expects to happen next. I say all of this because Dr. Osterholm also predicted that we could easily see 100 million COVID cases in this country, with a very strong possibility of 480,000 fatalities ā€“ even if we successfully ā€œflattened the curve.ā€

It took me a few weeks to accept this scenario, because 480,000 fatalities is a frightening number, and lot of other experts were saying lots of conflicting things. But eventually, I came to the conclusion that Dr. Osterholm was probably correct, and quickly navigated the four stages of grief that usually precede acceptance ā€“ denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. By late April, I had come to accept Dr. Osterholmā€™s predictions as a matter of fact. Since then, Iā€™ve had three full months to come to terms with the fact that, a) I am probably going to get COVID-19 at some point, b), I am almost certainly going to survive it, and c), I might very well give it to someone else.

I hope that doesnā€™t sound blasĆ©, or glib, or fatalistic, or selfish. Four-hundred eighty thousand deaths is an obvious tragedy, and Iā€™m deeply sympathetic to all who have been impacted thus far. Iā€™m also very concerned for my parents, and everyone else in a high risk category. But when Dr. Osterholm says that COVID can be slowed, but not stopped, I believe him. When he says a vaccine will not necessarily hasten herd immunity, I believe him. And when he says that ā€œflattening the curveā€ and eliminating the virus have nothing to do with each other, I believe him.

Thus, for the last three months, Iā€™ve been operating from the assumption that this is a year-round virus thatā€™s eventually going to infect 100 million people and kill roughly 1/2 of one percent of those infected. Iā€™ve gotten used to those numbers in much the same way Iā€™ve gotten used to the fact that 40,000 people will likely die on the highways this year. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not panicked or surprised by tens of thousands of daily COVID cases; Iā€™ve been expecting them. Unfortunately, many others have not. Every day, millions of people watch the same breathless coverage by the same breathless journalists, who seem determined to do all they can to foster uncertainty. And so, millions of people are still paralyzed by fear, because they havenā€™t been given a chance to digest the truth, (or, what I believe to be the truth.) Fact is, we can accept almost anything if weā€™re given the facts, and enough time to get our heads around them. But if we donā€™t have an understanding of whatā€™s really happening, we simply canā€™t get past denial and bargaining, where so many seem to be stuck, understandably so.

Imagine for a moment you had no idea how many people would die in car accidents this year. Now, imagine that every single accident ā€“ over six million a year in the US alone ā€“ were reported on the same way that every new COVID case is reported today. Imagine every day you were told in hysterical tones, that another 16,000 accidents had occurred, resulting in another 90 deaths per day. What would that do to your willingness to drive? Six million accidents is a lot of accidents, and 40,000 annual fatalities is a lot of death ā€“ especially if you donā€™t know how high that number could get. But we DO know the dangers of driving, and weā€™ve accepted those numbers. Consequently, weā€™re able to make a grown-up decision about whether or not we want to assume the associated risk of operating a motor vehicle.

Again, donā€™t misunderstand. Iā€™m not ignoring COVID, and Iā€™m not pretending the risks at hand arenā€™t real. I donā€™t want to get this disease and give it to someone else, any more than I want to be in a car wreck and hurt someone else. So, I take precautions. I get tested often. If I canā€™t distance, I wear a mask ā€“ especially around higher risk people. I also wear a seatbelt, obey the speed limits, and check my mirrors before changing lanes. Iā€™m aware that weā€™d all be a lot safer if we kept our cars in the garage. Iā€™m also aware weā€™d be a lot safer if we all kept ourselves in the house. But thatā€™s not why cars, or people, exist.

Anyway Darlene, thatā€™s a long way of saying that I have accepted Dr. Osterholmā€™s numbers, and now, after three months of acceptance, Iā€™ve made a decision on how I wish to live my life. Sooner or later, you will too. We all will.
Mike

PS. My foundation is selling masks to raise money for our next work-ethic scholarship program. They're going fast...

Mike Rowe is ok with me posting this in full,.

Okay let's talk about Traffic Fatalities. Here is a goo site that is neither Right nor Left. It jus compiles and collates real data.
Fatality Facts 2018Yearly snapshot
Traffic Fatalities have gone down since 1975. And when you figure in the figures from 1900 to present you will see a trend. Safe Vehicles have greatly contributed to the Fatalities per capita.

MOTORVEHICLETRAFFICFATALITIES, 1900 - 2007

With the simple making Seat Belts (and now shoulder harnesses) mandantory, that simple action brought the Death Trap Machines of the 50s and early 60s (and I love my early death trap machines) down by a large margin. Then other thing were mandated and it brought the per capita traffic deaths even further. The smartest thing anyone can do for an early "Death Machine" is to add seatbelts.

Covid 19's figures are more related to the early Automotive Days before the safety equipment and laws were inacted. If you bother (and I know you won't) to consult the IHS figures you will see that what people screamed "That's Communism" and "You can't make me" made going to the local Grocery Store a lot safer even with bad drives who must enjoy playing bumper cars at the intersections.

No, Covid 19 won't go away on it's own anymore than the Traffic Fatalities of the early days would have either. But, like the making the cars safer and something as simple as Seat Belts the fatalitiy rates have plummeted. I equate mandating the wear of a mask to be right up there with Seat Belts.

I don't think anyone argued against wearing a mask, just being more logical about it as Mike Rowe and my self advocate.

It's interesting and a bit ironic that people who haven't cared for their health all thier lives for example, the morbidly obese, is suddenly concerned about health with masks. obesity kills way more people than corona, yet, they are still chugging mountain dews. anyway slight digression.

The point is, most masks don't do shit, they are lap belts in your 67 mustang with low back seats.

And there is no need for his filming to wear them any more than he is and his real and practical post he made on his face book if adopted by the world would end much of the hysterics. Deal with the reality of the virus, objectively.

I am not saying Rowe is wrong. But his comparison of wearing masks to traffic fatalities is incorrect. I'll use your 67 Mustang as an example. What's the NUMBER 1 death rate of those thrown from the vehicle versus those confined? If you stay with your vehicle you have a much higher rate to not be killed or have major injuries. If you are ejected from your vehicle you are almost always killed. That simple addition of seat belts to your 67 Mustang is the safest and smartes thing you can do in the event of a crash. It keeps you inside the vehicle where the Vehicle is absorbing the bulk of the impact.

I have two types of masks at my disposal. I mostly use the simple cloth or layered paper one that protects others but not me. It's like seat belts. But I also have a real N95 type mask with a M2.5 filter that I wear when I can't avoid being close to others. The M2.5 filter is a layered Charcoal type that stops Covid 19 cold from entering my respiratory system. The cloth ones and most of the so called N95 Chinese knockoffs don't. The cloth masks are to protect you from me. But my M2.5 filter mask is to protect me from you. The problem with the M2.5, it's hot, makes you breath harder and some couldn't wear it for prolonged times. The cloth masks are there for YOUR protection meanwhile the M2.5 filter masks are closer to why a seatbelt is a good idea.

I think you miss his point. what he's saying is that the death numbers are predictable and known, it's going to happen. so you take the precautions you think you need to take and live your life. What I noticed about rowe's new show is that they are isolated, they have thier crew of 5 and dont interact for the most part with anyone else.

I see no reason to wear a mask in that situation.

And your cloth mask doesn't do much according to this peer reviewed study.

I agree with him 100%:

Mike. In a recent post, you said youā€™ve been to Tennessee and Georgia, giving speeches and filming for your new show. Before that, you were on the road shooting for Dirty Jobs. Is it really so important to film a television show in the midst of pandemic? Is it responsible of you to encourage this kind of behavior when infection rates are spiking? Donā€™t you watch the news? More and more cases every day ā€“ arenā€™t you concerned?
Darlene Gabon

Hi Darlene
Of course, Iā€™m concerned. Iā€™m just not petrified.
On March 15th, the day after my part of the country was locked down, I posted a link to an interview with Dr. Michael Osterholm. Iā€™m posting it again, because I believe you and everyone else in the country would benefit from listening carefully to what he has to say. https://bit.ly/2WLOM6o

Dr. Osterholm is the Director of Infectious Disease Research and Policy. This is the same epidemiologist who ten years ago, predicted a coronavirus would come from China and turn our country upside down. In his book ā€œDeadliest Enemies,ā€ he described the utterly irresponsible way in which the media would report on the situation, the completely opportunistic and shamelessly political way our leaders would likely react, and the unprecedented chaos and confusion that would arise from all the mixed messages from the medical community. His resume is unexampled, https://bit.ly/3jvzQTW, and his analysis of the situation is the most logical and persuasive of any Iā€™d heard so far. Heā€™s also the only expert I know of who hasnā€™t walked back his numbers, reconsidered his position, or moved the goalposts with regard to what we must do, what we can do, and what he expects to happen next. I say all of this because Dr. Osterholm also predicted that we could easily see 100 million COVID cases in this country, with a very strong possibility of 480,000 fatalities ā€“ even if we successfully ā€œflattened the curve.ā€

It took me a few weeks to accept this scenario, because 480,000 fatalities is a frightening number, and lot of other experts were saying lots of conflicting things. But eventually, I came to the conclusion that Dr. Osterholm was probably correct, and quickly navigated the four stages of grief that usually precede acceptance ā€“ denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. By late April, I had come to accept Dr. Osterholmā€™s predictions as a matter of fact. Since then, Iā€™ve had three full months to come to terms with the fact that, a) I am probably going to get COVID-19 at some point, b), I am almost certainly going to survive it, and c), I might very well give it to someone else.

I hope that doesnā€™t sound blasĆ©, or glib, or fatalistic, or selfish. Four-hundred eighty thousand deaths is an obvious tragedy, and Iā€™m deeply sympathetic to all who have been impacted thus far. Iā€™m also very concerned for my parents, and everyone else in a high risk category. But when Dr. Osterholm says that COVID can be slowed, but not stopped, I believe him. When he says a vaccine will not necessarily hasten herd immunity, I believe him. And when he says that ā€œflattening the curveā€ and eliminating the virus have nothing to do with each other, I believe him.

Thus, for the last three months, Iā€™ve been operating from the assumption that this is a year-round virus thatā€™s eventually going to infect 100 million people and kill roughly 1/2 of one percent of those infected. Iā€™ve gotten used to those numbers in much the same way Iā€™ve gotten used to the fact that 40,000 people will likely die on the highways this year. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not panicked or surprised by tens of thousands of daily COVID cases; Iā€™ve been expecting them. Unfortunately, many others have not. Every day, millions of people watch the same breathless coverage by the same breathless journalists, who seem determined to do all they can to foster uncertainty. And so, millions of people are still paralyzed by fear, because they havenā€™t been given a chance to digest the truth, (or, what I believe to be the truth.) Fact is, we can accept almost anything if weā€™re given the facts, and enough time to get our heads around them. But if we donā€™t have an understanding of whatā€™s really happening, we simply canā€™t get past denial and bargaining, where so many seem to be stuck, understandably so.

Imagine for a moment you had no idea how many people would die in car accidents this year. Now, imagine that every single accident ā€“ over six million a year in the US alone ā€“ were reported on the same way that every new COVID case is reported today. Imagine every day you were told in hysterical tones, that another 16,000 accidents had occurred, resulting in another 90 deaths per day. What would that do to your willingness to drive? Six million accidents is a lot of accidents, and 40,000 annual fatalities is a lot of death ā€“ especially if you donā€™t know how high that number could get. But we DO know the dangers of driving, and weā€™ve accepted those numbers. Consequently, weā€™re able to make a grown-up decision about whether or not we want to assume the associated risk of operating a motor vehicle.

Again, donā€™t misunderstand. Iā€™m not ignoring COVID, and Iā€™m not pretending the risks at hand arenā€™t real. I donā€™t want to get this disease and give it to someone else, any more than I want to be in a car wreck and hurt someone else. So, I take precautions. I get tested often. If I canā€™t distance, I wear a mask ā€“ especially around higher risk people. I also wear a seatbelt, obey the speed limits, and check my mirrors before changing lanes. Iā€™m aware that weā€™d all be a lot safer if we kept our cars in the garage. Iā€™m also aware weā€™d be a lot safer if we all kept ourselves in the house. But thatā€™s not why cars, or people, exist.

Anyway Darlene, thatā€™s a long way of saying that I have accepted Dr. Osterholmā€™s numbers, and now, after three months of acceptance, Iā€™ve made a decision on how I wish to live my life. Sooner or later, you will too. We all will.
Mike

PS. My foundation is selling masks to raise money for our next work-ethic scholarship program. They're going fast...

Mike Rowe is ok with me posting this in full,.

Okay let's talk about Traffic Fatalities. Here is a goo site that is neither Right nor Left. It jus compiles and collates real data.
Fatality Facts 2018Yearly snapshot
Traffic Fatalities have gone down since 1975. And when you figure in the figures from 1900 to present you will see a trend. Safe Vehicles have greatly contributed to the Fatalities per capita.

MOTORVEHICLETRAFFICFATALITIES, 1900 - 2007

With the simple making Seat Belts (and now shoulder harnesses) mandantory, that simple action brought the Death Trap Machines of the 50s and early 60s (and I love my early death trap machines) down by a large margin. Then other thing were mandated and it brought the per capita traffic deaths even further. The smartest thing anyone can do for an early "Death Machine" is to add seatbelts.

Covid 19's figures are more related to the early Automotive Days before the safety equipment and laws were inacted. If you bother (and I know you won't) to consult the IHS figures you will see that what people screamed "That's Communism" and "You can't make me" made going to the local Grocery Store a lot safer even with bad drives who must enjoy playing bumper cars at the intersections.

No, Covid 19 won't go away on it's own anymore than the Traffic Fatalities of the early days would have either. But, like the making the cars safer and something as simple as Seat Belts the fatalitiy rates have plummeted. I equate mandating the wear of a mask to be right up there with Seat Belts.

I don't think anyone argued against wearing a mask, just being more logical about it as Mike Rowe and my self advocate.

It's interesting and a bit ironic that people who haven't cared for their health all thier lives for example, the morbidly obese, is suddenly concerned about health with masks. obesity kills way more people than corona, yet, they are still chugging mountain dews. anyway slight digression.

The point is, most masks don't do shit, they are lap belts in your 67 mustang with low back seats.

And there is no need for his filming to wear them any more than he is and his real and practical post he made on his face book if adopted by the world would end much of the hysterics. Deal with the reality of the virus, objectively.

I am not saying Rowe is wrong. But his comparison of wearing masks to traffic fatalities is incorrect. I'll use your 67 Mustang as an example. What's the NUMBER 1 death rate of those thrown from the vehicle versus those confined? If you stay with your vehicle you have a much higher rate to not be killed or have major injuries. If you are ejected from your vehicle you are almost always killed. That simple addition of seat belts to your 67 Mustang is the safest and smartes thing you can do in the event of a crash. It keeps you inside the vehicle where the Vehicle is absorbing the bulk of the impact.

I have two types of masks at my disposal. I mostly use the simple cloth or layered paper one that protects others but not me. It's like seat belts. But I also have a real N95 type mask with a M2.5 filter that I wear when I can't avoid being close to others. The M2.5 filter is a layered Charcoal type that stops Covid 19 cold from entering my respiratory system. The cloth ones and most of the so called N95 Chinese knockoffs don't. The cloth masks are to protect you from me. But my M2.5 filter mask is to protect me from you. The problem with the M2.5, it's hot, makes you breath harder and some couldn't wear it for prolonged times. The cloth masks are there for YOUR protection meanwhile the M2.5 filter masks are closer to why a seatbelt is a good idea.
My complaint has more to do with the shutdown than masks

we have to return to normal and resume or usual activities
if that means wearing a mask or standing 6 feet apart I can live with that

After reading one post of yours, you're writing style is similiar to someone. I might be wrong, But my Persitence of Memory pesists.

Your "style" is quite common on here.
It is you....LOLOL. My intentional butchering was the only response............LOLOL

No answer to a post. Should have listened to Biden....LOL

In one post I caught it. No need to converse with you again.

1595556461146.png

As trained opera singers go, Rowe is a solid stud.

If youā€™ve not seen the Dirty Jobs segment where heā€™s collecting sperm from fellow studs of the thoroughbreds species, itā€™s well worth a google effort for the giggles.

Forum List

Back