Mickelson wins the PGA!!! Oldest major winner ever at 50!!

There are certain players that golf fans embrace. Phil was considered something of a jerk when younger, albeit an entertaining golfer. In recent years he has become one of the most beloved five or so golfers in the world. To have him win this most difficult tournament at age 50 is monumental. This is the best golf story of the year - maybe the best sports story, period.

I will be watching the TV ratings for this broadcast. Phil was in the lead on Sunday morning, and the entire round was filled with drama. Even the 18th could have killed the whole deal that had been building up all day long. If Phil had bogeyed and Koepke had birdied, they would have been in a playoff.

Greatest golf broadcast since the era of Tiger.

There are certain players that golf fans embrace. Phil was considered something of a jerk when younger, albeit an entertaining golfer. In recent years he has become one of the most beloved five or so golfers in the world. To have him win this most difficult tournament at age 50 is monumental. This is the best golf story of the year - maybe the best sports story, period.

I will be watching the TV ratings for this broadcast. Phil was in the lead on Sunday morning, and the entire round was filled with drama. Even the 18th could have killed the whole deal that had been building up all day long. If Phil had bogeyed and Koepke had birdied, they would have been in a playoff.

He wasn't considered a jerk so much as an underachiever. Until the Masters in 2004, he had a rep of choking away big moments. Tiger owned him for years. Even after his initial good run, his "swing away" cost him more than it yielded. I remember being on the Acela traveling back from Penn Station on the Sunday he choked away a sure bet at Winged Foot. Everyone on the train was talking about it. He's had his health issues and I'm glad that he won one for us "fossils"....gives the rest of us hope. :)

That was a tough course, no one was ever safe with a lead at any time. Now Phil sits alongside Tom Brady as the oldest to win a major championship. Phil is one classy guy. And maybe it was me but I'm sure CBS knew a lot of people were watching this one and they seemed to be running an inordinate amount of commercials.

That was a tough course, no one was ever safe with a lead at any time. Now Phil sits alongside Tom Brady as the oldest to win a major championship. Phil is one classy guy. And maybe it was me but I'm sure CBS knew a lot of people were watching this one and they seemed to be running an inordinate amount of commercials.
It was worth it to see that scene on the 18th hole!

I am sure he will blow the dough to fix his pain from playing. Congrats!
Always with the negative vibes.
Actually Phil is in better shape today than he was when he was younger. He's in great shape.

This win is huge for us 50 year olds. So proud of him. We still got it. LOL.

And anyone who says this isn't a sport, I want to see how well you golf 9 holes. Then I want to see you walk 72 holes in 4 days and see how well you do. Or if you will even be able to finish. LOL.

I bet this is killing Tiger.

Actually Phil is in better shape today than he was when he was younger. He's in great shape.

And anyone who says this isn't a sport, I want to see how well you golf 9 holes. Then I want to see you walk 72 holes in 4 days and see how well you do. Or if you will even be able to finish. LOL.

Phil is kind of a freak really. I'm sure he works hard at it, but his flexibility is amazing. And yes I've played 5 different sports at a competitive level and golf is the hardest to play well and is physically demanding. I know lots of guys younger than me who either can't swing a cub because of back or neck problems or can't handle the walking because of their knees.

I am sure he will blow the dough to fix his pain from playing. Congrats!
Always with the negative vibes.

He wasn't considered a jerk so much as an underachiever. Until the Masters in 2004, he had a rep of choking away big moments. Tiger owned him for years. Even after his initial good run, his "swing away" cost him more than it yielded. I remember being on the Acela traveling back from Penn Station on the Sunday he choked away a sure bet at Winged Foot. Everyone on the train was talking about it. He's had his health issues and I'm glad that he won one for us "fossils"....gives the rest of us hope. :)
No. He’s still a jerk. Nearly all the best golfers are assholes. They are treated like kings and expect it. Prima donnas mostly.

That said Phil played great and deserved the win. He is a great golfer.

Phil is kind of a freak really. I'm sure he works hard at it, but his flexibility is amazing. And yes I've played 5 different sports at a competitive level and golf is the hardest to play well and is physically demanding. I know lots of guys younger than me who either can't swing a cub because of back or neck problems or can't handle the walking because of their knees.
I read he usually plays 36 holes every day when not competing. He says 18 holes is a cake walk. Even at 50 he had the longest drive of the tournament. 366 yards.

I read he usually plays 36 holes every day when not competing. He says 18 holes is a cake walk. Even at 50 he had the longest drive of the tournament. 366 yards.
Phil has never been a physical "specimen" but he stands as an example of what you can do if you maintain your flexibility and stay in "golf shape". One could argue that gym rats like Tiger, Brooks and Dustin have done more harm to themselves than good.

No. He’s still a jerk. Nearly all the best golfers are assholes.
Why do you say that? On the course behavior, off the course behavior?
Because it’s true. I first got a taste of this back 30 years ago while working a Seniors tournament. Lee Trevino had just come on the tour and he was playing the tournament I was working. We had to encircle him arm in arm as he came off 18, and march him to the clubhouse. He was screaming profanities at the fans, some of whom were children asking for his autograph. He was dropping F bombs in a large crowd of fans. What an asshole.

No. He’s still a jerk. Nearly all the best golfers are assholes.
Why do you say that? On the course behavior, off the course behavior?
Because it’s true. I first got a taste of this back 30 years ago while working a Seniors tournament. Lee Trevino had just come on the tour and he was playing the tournament I was working. We had to encircle him arm in arm as he came off 18, and march him to the clubhouse. He was screaming profanities at the fans, some of whom were children asking for his autograph. He was dropping F bombs in a large crowd of fans. What an asshole.
I just saw the bio of the Ultimate Warrior. Remember him? He got in big trouble at the airport a kid asked for his autograph and he lost it. LOL. Imagine him losing it on you

1621965712959.png

Forum List

Back