Michelle Rodriguez: Stop stealing white people's superheroes... Make your own

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Michelle Rodriguez on that white superhero thing - CNN.com

(CNN)Actress Michelle Rodriguez challenged racial minorities in Hollywood to "develop their own mythology" and tell their own stories instead of recasting traditionally white characters as different races.

"It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern or whatever these characters are and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are," the "Fast and Furious" star said in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday.

"I think that people should stop being lazy and that people should make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology."

Within 24 hours its posting on Saturday, the video had been viewed nearly 2 million times.

The comments come after Rodriguez was caught on camera Friday saying that minorities should stop "stealing ... white people's superheroes." Rodriguez, who identifies as Puerto Rican and Dominican, was walking to her car when TMZ asked her about rumors that she might be cast in the traditionally male role of superhero Green Lantern, last played by Ryan Reynolds.

She dismissed the rumor as "the dumbest thing I've ever heard." She followed it up with, "It's so stupid. It's like, 'Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes.' ... Make up your own. You know what I'm saying?"

God, I couldn't agree more. As a comic book fan, I rant on about this all the time. The last Captain America movie had the Falcon in it. Marvel is currently working on a Black Panther film. Blade was a very successful franchise. Is it necessary to make the Human Torch a black guy? :dunno:

Shes right. Thankfully shes hispanic so her comment cant be racist. If she were white...career over.

(CNN)Actress Michelle Rodriguez challenged racial minorities in Hollywood to "develop their own mythology" and tell their own stories instead of recasting traditionally white characters as different races.

"It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern or whatever these characters are and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are," the "Fast and Furious" star said in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday.

"I think that people should stop being lazy and that people should make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology."

Within 24 hours its posting on Saturday, the video had been viewed nearly 2 million times.

The comments come after Rodriguez was caught on camera Friday saying that minorities should stop "stealing ... white people's superheroes." Rodriguez, who identifies as Puerto Rican and Dominican, was walking to her car when TMZ asked her about rumors that she might be cast in the traditionally male role of superhero Green Lantern, last played by Ryan Reynolds.

She dismissed the rumor as "the dumbest thing I've ever heard." She followed it up with, "It's so stupid. It's like, 'Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes.' ... Make up your own. You know what I'm saying?"

God, I couldn't agree more. As a comic book fan, I rant on about this all the time. The last Captain America movie had the Falcon in it. Marvel is currently working on a Black Panther film. Blade was a very successful franchise. Is it necessary to make the Human Torch a black guy? :dunno:
Why was it necessary to make him a white guy?
dunno.gif

dunno.gif

Um... because he is a white guy? That's like asking why it's necessary for you to be a black guy.

dunno.gif

Um... because he is a white guy? That's like asking why it's necessary for you to be a black guy.
Hes a comic book character. He can be whatever color someone makes him.

ff4reboot-fantastic-four-reboot-cast-set.jpeg

The first two people in this picture are supposed to be biological brother and sister. :dunno:

I think you guys missed what she was complaining about was the lack of artistry and venting against the PC nature of it.

The PC nature of it is exactly what bothers me.
I dont like making characters Black just for the hell of it but the Human Torch is obviously a Black guy. White people should be things like the ice man or something. The torch denotes heat.

Good for her.

Make up your own.

But this stuff is really more about making a statement than anything else. "We're gonna change your heroes to match our agenda because we can."

Nice to see.

What's really going on here is the white obsession with Santa, god/Jesus, tooth fairy being white. According to some, all fictional characters MUST be write.

In the real world, where grown ups live, its a non issue.

Last edited:
ff4reboot-fantastic-four-reboot-cast-set.jpeg

The first two people in this picture are supposed to be biological brother and sister. :dunno:
Thats actually very possible Here are some twins

150303090900-restricted-01-aylmer-twins-exlarge-169.jpg

It's possible, but notice how light the black woman's skin is. A black sibling having darker skin isn't impossible either, but it's a lot less likely.
It can still happen though. I know 2 brothers that are bi racial and one looks like he has no white in him at all.

article-1311533-0B29B59F000005DC-790_634x566.jpg

It goes both ways as well. In the 90s Spawn movie this guy...

251216-69850-terry-fitzgerald.jpg

...became this guy...

16791-24163.jpg

Many of the main characters in Spawn are black, and they said they didn't want it to come across as a "black movie". Spawn was created by a white Canadian guy, not Spike Lee. :lol:

What's really going on here is the white obsession with Santa, god/Jesus, tooth fairy being white. According to some, all fictional characters MUST be write.

In the real world, where grown ups live, its a non issue.
Why whites are up in arms about this after hijacking the color of God, Moses, Jesus, etc etc is beyond me.

She's right.
Look at the asinine Catwoman recent makeover - she is now a bisexual.
Why?

Up next is "THUNDRA: Announces The first Transsexual Latino pro-choice superhero immigrant!!"

New Topics

Forum List

Back