Michael Steele on Southern Strategy

So, after reading the article, I STILL don't understand what the new GOP Southern strategy is. Did I miss something?

I liked Reagan but he opened his campaign in Philadelphia MS, the town in which the movie Mississippi Burning is set. Now, why would a California governor start his campaign in the city best known for killing three student civil rights workers?

"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."

African-Americans not given good reason to vote GOP :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics

:lol::lol: Blacks in this country have been a major voting block for the democrat party ever since Hoover--clear back in the 1930's. Why would anything change now?---:cuckoo:

While the southern part of this country--is predominately registered democrats--they typically vote conservatively.

So what's your point?

Last edited:
I liked Reagan but he opened his campaign in Philadelphia MS, the town in which the movie Mississippi Burning is set. Now, why would a California governor start his campaign in the city best known for killing three student civil rights workers?

To send a message.

"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."
African-Americans not given good reason to vote GOP :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics

:lol::lol: Blacks in this country have been a major voting block for the democrat party ever since Hoover--clear back in the 1930's. Why would anything change now?---:cuckoo:

While the southern part of this country--is predominately registered democrats--they typically vote conservatively.

So what's your point?
Michael Steele is making a point that the GOP has historically been the party of white Southerners. I believe he'd like to change that.

Random chance? ;)

and in that speech, he made a point of mentioning "states rights" on several occasions.

Black people know how to vote their own self interests

Caging (voter suppression) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1980s
In 1981 and 1986 the Republican National Committee (RNC) sent out letters to predominately African-American neighborhoods. When tens of thousands of them were returned undeliverable, the party successfully challenged the voters and had them deleted from voting rolls. Due to the violation of the Voting Rights Act, the RNC was taken to court. Its officials entered a consent decree which prohibited the party from engaging in anti-fraud initiatives that targeted minorities or conducting mail campaigns to "compile voter challenge lists."[5]

[edit] 2004 US Election
BBC journalist Greg Palast obtained an RNC document entitled "State Implementation Template III.doc" that described Republican election operations for caging plans in numerous states. The paragraph in the document pertaining to caging was:

I see.

Reagan gave a speech at a county fair in a town that was not the site of the Mississippi murders but was the setting of a 1988 movie based on those events.

Yeah, that's a big problem.

I see.

Reagan gave a speech at a county fair in a town that was not the site of the Mississippi murders but was the setting of a 1988 movie based on those events.

Philadelphia, Mississippi is not Philadelphia, Mississippi?

I see.

Murders of three civil rights workers

Philadelphia is known as the site of one of the most infamous race-related crimes in American history. Shortly after midnight on June 21, 1964, three civil rights workers were murdered by white supremacists on a highway outside of Philadelphia. The crime and decades-long legal aftermath inspired the 1988 movie Mississippi Burning.
[edit] Ronald Reagan's visit
Main article: Ronald Reagan's speech at the Neshoba County Fair

On August 3, 1980, Ronald Reagan gave his first post-convention speech after being officially chosen as the Republican nominee for President of the United States at the Neshoba County Fair. The speech drew attention for his use of the phrase "states' rights" at a place just a few miles from a town associated with the 1964 murders of civil rights workers. Reagan said, "I believe in states' rights ... I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment." He went on to promise to "restore to states and local governments the power that properly belongs to them".[2] The use of the phrase was seen by many as a tacit appeal to Southern white voters and a continuation of Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy, while some argued it merely reflected Reagan's libertarian economic beliefs.

Philadelphia, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of all the places to begin his campaign, this is where he chose to start it.

I see.

Murders of three civil rights workers

Philadelphia is known as the site of one of the most infamous race-related crimes in American history. Shortly after midnight on June 21, 1964, three civil rights workers were murdered by white supremacists on a highway outside of Philadelphia. The crime and decades-long legal aftermath inspired the 1988 movie Mississippi Burning.
[edit] Ronald Reagan's visit
Main article: Ronald Reagan's speech at the Neshoba County Fair

On August 3, 1980, Ronald Reagan gave his first post-convention speech after being officially chosen as the Republican nominee for President of the United States at the Neshoba County Fair. The speech drew attention for his use of the phrase "states' rights" at a place just a few miles from a town associated with the 1964 murders of civil rights workers. Reagan said, "I believe in states' rights ... I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment." He went on to promise to "restore to states and local governments the power that properly belongs to them".[2] The use of the phrase was seen by many as a tacit appeal to Southern white voters and a continuation of Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy, while some argued it merely reflected Reagan's libertarian economic beliefs.
Philadelphia, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of all the places to begin his campaign, this is where he chose to start it.

If he was already the nominee, I don't think you can say that he "began" his campaign there.

I see.

Philadelphia, Mississippi is not Philadelphia, Mississippi?

The hangings occurred in Meridian MS, not Philadelphia MS

Was Robert Byrd questioned? Did LBJ Personally give the go-ahead?

Forum List

Back