Miami Dolphins' Raekwon McMillan says ref told him to 'Stay off Tom' Brady during Patriots game

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
What the fuck????

Miami Dolphins' Raekwon McMillan says ref told him to 'Stay off Tom' Brady during Patriots game

A Miami Dolphins linebacker said Wednesday a referee told him to be careful with his hits on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during their matchup over the weekend.

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan told the Miami Herald that an official told him to “Stay off Tom” after he delivered a legal hit to the quarterback Sunday.

“Tom didn’t say anything but the referee said, ‘Stay off Tom.’ I put my hands up in the air and said ‘I got you,’” McMillan said

This used to be referred to as the "Gretzky Rule" in the 1980's. Some guys even had their careers railroaded after a heavy hit against him. The logic was "he makes the league and YOU a great deal of money, let him do his thing".

America must never follow the Canadian example of Free Market and fairness. If you have a clean hit on the old guy, you lay him out.

This used to be referred to as the "Gretzky Rule" in the 1980's. Some guys even had their careers railroaded after a heavy hit against him. The logic was "he makes the league and YOU a great deal of money, let him do his thing".

America must never follow the Canadian example of Free Market and fairness. If you have a clean hit on the old guy, you lay him out.
Its good to be the King!

Gretzky rule had nothing to do with the refs. If you hit him you were getting your ass kicked by one of his bodyguards. That rule has been in the game forever and still is. You run the other teams best players and you better look over your shoulder. They protect there teammates. This, if true should result in a suspension if the ref said it and if the ref didn’t say it the player should get suspended. Did anyone else on either team hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gretzky rule had nothing to do with the refs. If you hit him you were getting your ass kicked by one of his bodyguards. That rule has been in the game forever and still is. You run the other teams best players and you better look over your shoulder. They protect there teammates. This, if true should result in a suspension if the ref said it and if the ref didn’t say it the player should get suspended. Did anyone else on either team hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Gretzky created lots of rule changes. Yes, Dave Semenko and then McSorley handled anyone going after Gretzky, but, that was a retaliation danger for players. The unwritten rules came from the league. Owners, refs, other players, what have you. Leaf fans were reminded of the special treatment when Gretzky high sticked Gilmour, another all-star player and Kerry Fraser didnt make the call. It was b.s, and most likely cost the Leafs their Cup in 1993. That was him sort of being treated like Jordan (remember all the phantom foul calls he got?).

I forget the Oilers player who hit Gretzky in practice for the Oilers, but he was finished after that. There was another player in the league who did it and was banished. It was hard to hit him anyways because he was elusive, but he received special treatment like no player before him and players would hold up just in case they injured him and their own career might be done.

Regardless. They changed the minor penalty rule to offset it so there wouldn't be 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 as the Oilers would crush teams. That was also the Gretzky rule. Oilers were too dominant with more ice to play with.

As I view the definitive "Gretzky Rule", it was "don't touch Wayne." Certainly in the early to mid-eighties.

What the fuck????

A Miami Dolphins linebacker said Wednesday a referee told him to be careful with his hits on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during their matchup over the weekend.

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan told the Miami Herald that an official told him to “Stay off Tom” after he delivered a legal hit to the quarterback Sunday.

“Tom didn’t say anything but the referee said, ‘Stay off Tom.’ I put my hands up in the air and said ‘I got you,’” McMillan said

No surprise in the least,same as the organization,he gets special treatment the other QB's dont get as evidenced in the Chiefs playoff game when Mahomes took a MUCH more vicious hit than the one they threw a 15 years penalty against the chiefs for a BS roughing the passer call.

First he gets the no tuck rule,now its the no touch Tom Brady rule.

Because baby Brady went whining to the NFL about getting hit at the knee and missing a whole season because of that,the refs go out of their way to protect him unlike any other QB in the NFL now and have put this on his uniform now.

cfc77c589f783da6a5553dd040767cd0--sports-memes-funny-sports.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back