Mezze

It is a wrap. My son's birthday party went well. Half my sons friends are down with this type of food and the other half not so much. So, the Jallab was not well received by everyone. They compared it to cough syrup and perfume.You can really taste the rose water in it which many couldn't identify right away. I made everyone a glass and then when I tasted it and identified it they were all like....oh, yeah, that is what I am tasting. Then they politely went for Dr. Pepper. I didn't put pine nuts or raisins on top because they wouldn't have liked that at all and I wasn't sure I could have done the Heimlich maneuver on a room full of linebackers.

Before I bought the Jallab, I picked up a bottle of Rooh-Afza and Jami-E-Shirin. Those are from Pakistan and not Mediterranean but I thought that if I couldn't find the Jallab then I would have the concept. I am not fan of the Rooh-Afza and I haven't had a chance to try the other.

Cerignola olives were not all they were cracked up to be. They are really small and I might get them again if they were already pitted. They don't come like that.

The Garides se Lathoxitho came out really nice, too.

That Tunisian carrot salad is really dang good. So good that I am planning on incorporating it into regular meals. I am making the matbucha later in the week. I ran out of time to cook everything. I did a lover of hummus (not related) tell me mine was the best. I can screw up a meal like nobodies business. Sometimes I encounter losing streaks of cooking, where I am like PBJ's 4 life, but it came out really nice.

"It's a wrap" lol I git it.

You must tell us more about the Tunisian carrot salad.

Glad Things Went Well !!

I Saw Your Post About Your Drink
I See A Lot Of Magazines These Days
They've Had A Lot Of Wonderful Pictures Of Summer Sangrias

The Sangrias Look Clear And Quite Right For A Summer
....Except For The Hard Liquor
I Don't Like That In Our 95+Degree Days Around Here
So I Leave It Out

So If You Were To Make Some Up
And Use Apples And Pears
Be Sure To Peel The Apples And Pears
Otherwise You'll Have A Real Harsh Raw Peel Taste

The ground caraway seeds and harrissa create a distinct flavor with some depth. I had pita triangles and crostini to spoon in over. Got the croutons in there.

I have always been wary of harrissa because it is considered "spicy" and it's not normally on American grocery shelves--although, it should be. It is actually quite nice with the other ingredients. It had none of the flash heat of some Mexican foods or the soul burning long lasting heat of some Indian curries.

The ground caraway seeds and harrissa create a distinct flavor with some depth. I had pita triangles and crostini to spoon in over. Got the croutons in there.

I have always been wary of harrissa because it is considered "spicy" and it's not normally on American grocery shelves--although, it should be. It is actually quite nice with the other ingredients. It had none of the flash heat of some Mexican foods or the soul burning long lasting heat of some Indian curries.

I've tried harissa, didn't do much for me. :(
I do like the heat I can work into Mexican, Indian or Southeast Asian dishes though. Love it. I've scolded many a Thai restaurant telling them "I said hot, not gringo hot".

I do like the heat I can work into Mexican, Indian or Southeast Asian dishes though. Love it. I've scolded many a Thai restaurant telling them "I said hot, not gringo hot".

I'd like to try harrissa in other recipes but I have to hunt some of those down. I like Indian and Thai heat because the dishes are complex and I think many Mexican dishes done right are as well. I so butchered trying to make Thai food that it's going to take me awhile to get back in that game.

I'd like to try harrissa in other recipes but I have to hunt some of those down. I like Indian and Thai heat because the dishes are complex and I think many Mexican dishes done right are as well. I so butchered trying to make Thai food that it's going to take me awhile to get back in that game.

Some time back I gave up on going strictly by "the recipe" and just amassed a mass of ingredients, sauces and spices, and then I just experiment. "Maybe this will work". Maybe not, but at least every meal is different. :thup:

Forum List

Back