Methane confirmed on Mars

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
The Curiosity robot confirms methane in Mars atmosphere which may hint that existed life

"These new and incontrovertible data open paths for new research that can identify the sources that produce this gas—which could include some type of biological activity—and the mechanisms by means of which the gas is eliminated with such inexplicable speed.

Since methane can be the product of biological activity—practically all the existing methane in Earth's atmosphere originates in this way—this has created great expectations that Martian methane could also be of a similar origin."

more at link

The Mars rovers are one of the greatest achievements of mankind. They were designed to last 3 months, and they're going on how many years now? One broke down, but Curiosity has driven further than many Yugos. Makes me proud to be an American.

And yet we have people posting here how the scientists know nothing.

But I think that it is great that they have found the traces of methane. It would be very interesting to find life on Mars. Be even more interesting to examine it and see what the similarities and differances were between life there and here.

For finding life not as we know it, I would like to see more exploration of Jupiter. An atmosphere with all kinds of precursors for organics, lot's of energy, and all kinds of differant temperature and pressure gradients. And, whether we find life there or not, we would find things we never suspected. In exploration, it is not finding the what we expect that is the excitement, it is finding things we had no idea existed.

And yet we have people posting here how the scientists know nothing.

But I think that it is great that they have found the traces of methane. It would be very interesting to find life on Mars. Be even more interesting to examine it and see what the similarities and differances were between life there and here.

For finding life not as we know it, I would like to see more exploration of Jupiter. An atmosphere with all kinds of precursors for organics, lot's of energy, and all kinds of differant temperature and pressure gradients. And, whether we find life there or not, we would find things we never suspected. In exploration, it is not finding the what we expect that is the excitement, it is finding things we had no idea existed.

Europa is far more likely to have some form of "life as we know it"

The Mars rovers are one of the greatest achievements of mankind. They were designed to last 3 months, and they're going on how many years now? One broke down, but Curiosity has driven further than many Yugos. Makes me proud to be an American.

Hopefully, humans will be there soon to top it. ;) Thank god for nasa and our scientist!

Forum List

Back