Merritt Landry still not charged

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Deadline for DA to act on Merritt Landry case is near, but meaningless | News | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

Four and a half months since a single shot fired on Mandeville Street set off a debate over citizens’ rights to defend themselves against New Orleans’ tide of violent crime, the criminal case at the center of the controversy remains stalled.

Merritt Landry, a Marigny homeowner who shot an unarmed 14-year-old named Marshall Coulter who had climbed over Landry’s gate in the middle of the night, has not been charged by the district attorney despite a quickly approaching deadline.

Louisiana law gives the district attorney 150 days to charge a criminal defendant who has been booked with a felony and is out of jail on bond. That time limit expires Dec. 22.

But, legally, it means little for Merritt Landry.

His attorney, Kevin Boshea, describes the deadline as a “paper tiger” — a meaningless time clock often misunderstood by the public.

If Landry is not charged by the deadline, his $100,000 bond obligation would be erased. He would become formally a free man, unencumbered by bail restrictions, but with a pending attempted-murder arrest still simmering on the back burner.

The article is very well-written and presents many interesting facts. I remember when this happened, I thought he did exactly what he should have done. His pregnant wife and small child were in the house. If he had been shot, what would become of them? He acted pre-emptively.

Shooting the kid in the head though - I'd aim for the knee. However, it has already been pointed out to me that the less body mass there is, the less chance there is you will actually strike what you're shooting at.

i cant put myself in his place. who knows what would have happened if he hadnt shot. prayers for everyone.

Forum List

Back