Merged Senate in the balance! With 'Tim Johnson' Suffers Possible Stroke

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota suffered a possible stroke Wednesday and was taken to a Washington hospital, his office said.
Johnson became disoriented during a call with reporters at midday, stuttering in response to a question. He appeared to recover, asking if there were any additional questions before ending the call.

If he should be unable to continue to serve, it could halt the scheduled Democratic takeover of the Senate. Democrats won a 51-49 majority in the November election. South Dakota's governor, who would appoint any temporary replacement, is a Republican.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/13/D8M07D081.html

Even if he were dead the Dems would stuff his body and wheel him in, claiming he was still alive!

I hope Johnson recovers, and quickly. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. A friend of mine keeled over with a massive stroke this year, and left a wife and two kids completely devastated. To say nothing about its fatal effects on him, of course, too.

Yes, Senate majority status might shift back to the Republicans (with VP Cheney's tiebreaking vote) if Johnson can't continue his duties. But this kind of possibility is far more severe than that. Such grave threats transcend any political consideration.

Godspeed to Tim Johnson.

----------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236369,00.html

Sen. Johnson Hospitalized for Possible Stroke

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sen. Tim Johnson was admitted to a D.C. hospital Thursday for a possible stroke.

WASHINGTON — South Dakota Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson was admitted Wednesday to George Washington University hospital in Washington, D.C., for symptoms aides say indicate a stroke.

"As this stage, he is undergoing a comprehensive evaluation by the stroke team. Further details will be forthcoming when more is known," said a statement released from his office.

Johnson was admitted after wrapping up a conference call with reporters, in which he became disoriented and stuttered a response to a question. He appeared to recover, asking for any additional questions and then signed off.

Johnson, who turns 60 on Dec. 28, is already a cancer survivor, having had his prostate gland removed in March 2004. According to news reports, he is also deaf in his left ear as a result of surgery to remove a benign tumor from his eardrum after returning from the Vietnam War.

Johnson spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said he had walked back to his Capitol office after the call with reporters but appeared to not be feeling well. The Capitol physician came to his office and examined him, and it decided he needed to go to the hospital.

He was taken by ambulance to George Washington University Hospital around noon, Fisher said.

"It was caught very early," she said.

While the extent of his illness isn't known yet, Washington political watchers are already noting that a Johnson replacement in the Senate would be made by Republican Gov. Michael Rounds.

South Dakota Secretary of State Chris Nelson said there are no special restrictions on such an appointment and a replacement does not have to be in the same political party.

With the 110th Congress split 49 Democrats, 49 Republicans and two independents that align themselves with the Democrats, majority control of the Senate could shift in such a case.

The White House issued a statement wishing him a speedy recovery.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Senator Johnson and his family," said spokesman Alex Conant.

I hope he remains in good health.

If he is unable to fulfill his duties a replacement will be picked by the governor. Is the governor Democrat or Republican?

Oh my. Think of the anger out there if THAT happened! The Bush-Putin comparisons might start (haha...).

A lot of people who were getting ready to "take over" would be pretty crestfallen...

I would expect the conspiracy lot to be talking.

Yeah...I went back and struck that out though. I didn't want to seem insensitive to the plight of the Senator.

I bet a bunch of people are holding their breath at the moment...Dems and Repubs...

I hope he remains in good health.

If he is unable to fulfill his duties a replacement will be picked by the governor. Is the governor Democrat or Republican?
Republican! That's why the Senate is in the balance! This is cool stuff.

As I said before the merge issue, if this guy dies, the Dems will stuff him, stick him in a refrigerated chair, and roll him into the chambers at least daily so they can keep the majority. Nothing is beneath them.

Naturally, i was right. the libs are claiming there is some sort of conspiracy to rob them of control of the senate.

Maybe someone should tell them that sometime people get old and have health problems.

Naturally, i was right. the libs are claiming there is some sort of conspiracy to rob them of control of the senate.

Maybe someone should tell them that sometime people get old and have health problems.

That's way too radical and extreme... they would NEVER believe that! ;)

Good news.

---------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/13/D8M09HUG2.html

Spokesman: Johnson Did Not Have Stroke
Dec 13 7:20 PM US/Eastern

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

A spokesman for Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson said the politician did not suffer a stroke or heart attack, contrary to initial reports after Johnson was taken to a Washington hospital, weeks before his party was to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

Johnson, who will 60 on Dec. 28, became disoriented during a conference call with reporters at midday Wednesday, stuttering in response to a question. He was taken to George Washington University Hospital, where doctors were evaluating his condition.

Democrats won a 51-49 majority in the November election. South Dakota's Republican governor, Mike Rounds, would appoint a replacement to serve until the 2008 election should Johnson die or resign.

Before he ended the call, Johnson appeared to recover and asked if there were any additional questions.

Spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said he then walked back to his Capitol office but appeared to not be feeling well. The Capitol physician came to his office and examined him, and it was decided he should go to the hospital.

He was taken to the hospital by ambulance around noon, Fisher said.

"It was caught very early," she said.

That's way too radical and extreme... they would NEVER believe that! ;)

I hope he recovers, he is a moderate. He served in the military and if memory serves, he has a son serving also.

I'm still hoping for Robert Byrd and Teddy Kennedy to kick off.

Teddy wouldnt effect things unless he he loses it before Romney leaves office. As for Byrd, im surprised he is still around, but i dont know what party the governor of WV is.

Regardless, im not really hoping anyone dies. i find it rather morbid.

Teddy wouldnt effect things unless he he loses it before Romney leaves office. As for Byrd, im surprised he is still around, but i dont know what party the governor of WV is.

Regardless, im not really hoping anyone dies. i find it rather morbid.
Both will get what they deserve.
devilfire.gif

Forum List

Back