Mennonites jailed for refusing to use reflective triangle....

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
.........because they claim using the brightly colored triangle violates their religious beliefs.

Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks sentenced nine Amish men on Monday to up to 10 days in jail after they refused to pay fines for not putting an orange reflective triangle on the back of their horse-drawn buggies.

The men, who belong to the ultra-conservative Old Order Swartzentruber group, said that using the orange triangle violated their religion's modestly rules, which forbid bright colors. They asked to use gray reflective tape and lanterns instead, but the courts refused. The Graves County jail provided them with dark-colored jumpsuits.

Amish men sent to jail after refusing to put orange triangles on their buggies | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Everyone has the right to protest.

Christians should be praying instead of protesting. Prayer is more powerful.

Hey Tony, does this apply to Mennonites as well?

Gotta tell yas', I don't really CARE if this violates their religious beliefs.

Knew a kid in NAV boot who was in the service because one night he rear-ended a Mennonite carriage that didn't have reflectors.

Not only did he have to spend the rest of his life vividly remembering that he'd crushed two kids to death with his car, but he was given a choice between prison and the service because of it, too.

There ARE cases and circumstances when the needs of a secular society TRUMP one's religious beliefs.

This is CLEARLY one of those cases.

And what about the religions that don't use medicine and doctors. They just 'pray away' the illness.

God made man and woman, and they in turn made medicine and doctors. So why wouldn't someone use that for the healing of their children or themselves?

I've never figured that one out.

Knew a kid in NAV boot who was in the service because one night he rear-ended a Mennonite carriage that didn't have reflectors.

Not only did he have to spend the rest of his life vividly remembering that he'd crushed two kids to death with his car, but he was given a choice between prison and the service because of it, too.

There ARE cases and circumstances when the needs of a secular society TRUMP one's religious beliefs.

Yes, I agree. But, in your friend's case, wasn't the fact that there was no reflector a mitigating factor? It should have been!

There are a lot of Mennonites around here and this is a local issue. Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks who put them in jail is a local judge in Mayfield, KY. I really fear that some young person is going to have his/her life ruined over this.

They don't pay income taxes which here in KY is what pays for the roads, such as they are. It torques me that they can use the roads AT ALL and pay no taxes. But to refuse to follow the laws of using those roads is over the top. IMO, they need to go to prison where they will learn that being some buffed up gang banger's bitch is far less preferable to using a colorful reflector!

Last edited:
And what about the religions that don't use medicine and doctors. They just 'pray away' the illness.

God made man and woman, and they in turn made medicine and doctors. So why wouldn't someone use that for the healing of their children or themselves?

I've never figured that one out.

I've seen courts involved with that a number of times. Not many MDs or NPs would let the state take away their license to practice over something like this. :)

ohio_amish_buggy_holmes_county_road.jpg

I am rather sick of the "it violates my religious belief" shit.

There’s no Free Exercise Clause violation here – the caution triangle is in no way an ostentatious display nor can it be construed as such in any context. Consequently no religious practice or tenet is being preempted.

There’s no Free Exercise Clause violation here – the caution triangle is in no way an ostentatious display nor can it be construed as such in any context. Consequently no religious practice or tenet is being preempted.

Exactly right. And I hope they bill the ones in the local jail here for their accommodations. Given that they don't pay taxes and all.

I have seen Mennonites and Amish present to local hospitals with sick family members once 'taking care of their own' has ceased to work. The bill can run many many thousands of dollars.......which they ALWAYS pay with cash. What's wrong with this picture? :mad:

Last edited:

Yes, I agree. But, in your friend's case, wasn't the fact that there was no reflector a mitigating factor? It should have been!

I suspect it was.

The kid also admitted that he was speeding when he came over the top of a hill and rammed into the carriage.

I also suspect that the judge took one look at the kid and thought to himself

"This kid has GOT to get away from this nightmare. I can appease those who want him punished and probably help the kid, too, if I can get him away from here for a while"

Understand, the above is merely my GUESS as to why the boy was forced to join the service.

There are a lot of Mennonites around here and this is a local issue. Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks who put them in jail is a local judge in Mayfield, KY. I really fear that some young person is going to have his/her life ruined over this.

Black buggies on the highways at night?

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

They don't pay income taxes which here in KY is what pays for the roads, such as they are. It torques me that they can use the roads AT ALL and pay no taxes. But to refuse to follow the laws of using those roads is over the top. IMO, they need to go to prison where they will learn that being some buffed up gang banger's bitch is far less preferable to using a colorful reflector!

ACtually that does NOT bother me.

The roads are PUBLIC land and the fact that we've turned them into CARS ONLY, without ALSO giving pedestrians and whatnot a way to get from here to there truly vexes me.

I suspect it was.

The kid also admitted that he was speeding when he came over the top of a hill and rammed into the carriage.

"This kid has GOT to get away from this nightmare. I can appease those who want him punished and probably help the kid, too, if I can get him away from here for a while"

Understand, the above is merely my GUESS as to why the boy was forced to join the service.

The roads are PUBLIC land and the fact that we've turned them into CARS ONLY, without ALSO giving pedestrians and whatnot a way to get from here to there truly vexes me.

In towns like Mayfield, pedestrians have sidewalks. Out on the open roads, you don't see them around here unless they are hitchhikers.

Their not paying taxes and using public highways IS an issue for me. I realize there are a lot of people who don't pay much or maybe no income taxes because they are poor. But these people can afford to pay their share and they don't. Because they 'take care of their own.' Well, using the roads and streets paid for by others isn't 'taking care of their own.' And if you want to look at what they buy, most of it is non taxable. So they make out like bandits. Now they don't want to obey a simple law. That's bullshit, IMO.

Using public roads is a tacit agreement that you will comply with the rules of safety. I can't claim my religion is the "Need for Speed" and use the highway to try and set the land speed record. A person's religious beliefs should not be latitude to create a dangerous and unsafe environment on the road that puts them and other drivers in danger.

I mean, the rest of us get tickets for having a single headlight out.

This group is sympathetic because they are devout, kind, and lead a simple lifestyle. However, that doesn't mean they don't have to follow the rules. They still do. If they want to stay off public roads, they can do whatever they want.

Until then, tough shit.

Using public roads is a tacit agreement that you will comply with the rules of safety. I can't claim my religion is the "Need for Speed" and use the highway to try and set the land speed record. A person's religious beliefs should not be latitude to create a dangerous and unsafe environment on the road that puts them and other drivers in danger.

I mean, the rest of us get tickets for having a single headlight out.

This group is sympathetic because they are devout, kind, and lead a simple lifestyle. However, that doesn't mean they don't have to follow the rules. They still do. If they want to stay off public roads, they can do whatever they want.

Until then, tough shit.

Exactly.

I suspect it was.

Your masters are too busy invading sovereign nations to give a damn what you need.
Now if IsNtReal asked for pedestrian infrastructure they'd have it by Halloween(which should be their national holiday) and YOU would be paying for it.

This "judge" will be never re-elected again, interesting whether she is equally hard to muslims or not?

Pfft. I'd vote for her. What is so stupid about trying to keep the roads safe.

I mean, why on Earth would we insist that a carriage going about 10 mph and painted completely black and traveling on the road with cars going 70 mph have some sort of reflective gear on it?

.........because they claim using the brightly colored triangle violates their religious beliefs.

Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks sentenced nine Amish men on Monday to up to 10 days in jail after they refused to pay fines for not putting an orange reflective triangle on the back of their horse-drawn buggies.

The men, who belong to the ultra-conservative Old Order Swartzentruber group, said that using the orange triangle violated their religion's modestly rules, which forbid bright colors. They asked to use gray reflective tape and lanterns instead, but the courts refused. The Graves County jail provided them with dark-colored jumpsuits.

I'm sure they'll suffer eternal damnation for putting a little plastic triangle on their horse-drawn buggy... Fucking idiots. Pretty sure Jesus said something about render unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, not remain stuck in the 18th century just because. Lock their asses up, they're the ones at fault here. And force them to wear the bright county orange. They aren't special, they aren't exempt from the law of the land.

I'm sure they'll suffer eternal damnation for putting a little plastic triangle on their horse-drawn buggy... Fucking idiots. Pretty sure Jesus said something about render unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, not remain stuck in the 18th century just because. Lock their asses up, they're the ones at fault here. And force them to wear the bright county orange. They aren't special, they aren't exempt from the law of the land.

In the article it says the jail provided them with dark colored jumpsuits, which you can see in the pic with the article if you look. See there! We can be just as culturally sensitive here in KY as anybody!

In the article it says the jail provided them with dark colored jumpsuits, which you can see in the pic with the article if you look. See there! We can be just as culturally sensitive here in KY as anybody!

LOL.... The way i see it, is if you don't want to wear an orange jumpsuit.... don't get throw in jail.

LOL.... The way i see it, is if you don't want to wear an orange jumpsuit.... don't get throw in jail.

LOL. Somehow life just isn't that simple these days, but the point is well taken! I would like to think that as well! :cuckoo: You know if the jailer put them in orange jumpsuits the ACLU would be here on his ass. You know that don't you?

Forum List

Back