Medicaid Drops Coverage For Mom With Cancer

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Strange. I could have sworn this is why we were told the government had to take over health care. I thought only the "evil" insurance companies did this.

A woman battling a cancer battle was dealt a surprise blow by Uncle Sam this month.

Diana Smith has gone through six months of radiation and chemotherapy -- one week out of every month. She is in remission and had a donor for a transplant; being in remission is prerequisite for the transplant.

But her hopes of receiving the transplant were dashed in March, when she says, the Social Security Administration contacted her –without her soliciting it -- and told her that her three year-old son was entitled to receive Social Security disability payments. Even though she didn't ask for it, she signed the form and received her son's first check check.

In April, Medicaid canceled her universal health care policy because her income level had risen with her son's payments – making her ineligible for the insurance program.

The problem is Jackson Memorial Hospital cannot provide the procedure because the risk is too high. The universal policy from Medicaid helps shield the hospital from liability in this kind of case. Without it, they are subject to liability issues.

Even though Smith offered to cancel her son's disability benefits, she was told it's too late.

"She's gone through six months worth of radiation and chemo, her body can't take anymore. If they don't allow her to have this transplant coming up right now next week, they're in effect signing her death warrant," said her friend Tom Noonan.

Medicaid Drops Coverage For Mom With Cancer - cbs4.com

Her income is too high, and undoubtedly her cert period was up. We don't close people's medical until the end of a cert period.

She's one of the people who Obama is going to screw. If she's working, she's going to pay higher taxes, be fined for not purchasing health insurance, and not qualify for the free stuff.

I'm telling you, people are going to quit working. Pretty soon it's going to be really easy to get those low-paying jobs. REALLY easy.

Medicaid is run by the states not the federal government. Secondly, Florida is a Republican-controlled state.

There you have it. Republicans and state control; the worst possible combination.

That is false. Medicaid is administered by the states, but it receives half its funding from the Federal government and is subject to several Federal guidelines. Regardless, the point is that the government shouldn't be running nor making health care decisions for anybody. If you think it matters whether it's at the national or state level or that it makes any difference which party is in control then you're as big a tool as I suspect. Maybe bigger.

Jackson Memorial Hospital IS the County Hospital...it says in the hospital, because this procedure is at a high risk of something going wrong is why they will not perform it, without Medicaid.

Apparently there must be some sort of liability for what can go wrong, if the patient is covered by Medicaid.

Jackson Memorial Hospital should just have this woman WAVE her right to sue, if something goes wrong....she is DEAD without the procedure, I bet she would take her chances.....

Jackson Memorial Hospital IS the County Hospital...it says in the article, because this procedure is at a high risk of something going wrong is why they will not perform it, without Medicaid.

Apparently there must be some sort of liability for what can go wrong, if the patient is covered by Medicaid.

Jackson Memorial Hospital should just have this woman WAVE her right to sue, if something goes wrong....she is DEAD without the procedure, I bet she would take her chances.....

Medicaid is run by the states not the federal government. Secondly, Florida is a Republican-controlled state.

There you have it. Republicans and state control; the worst possible combination.

That is false. Medicaid is administered by the states, but it receives half its funding from the Federal government and is subject to several Federal guidelines. Regardless, the point is that the government shouldn't be running nor making health care decisions for anybody. If you think it matters whether it's at the national or state level or that it makes any difference which party is in control then you're as big a tool as I suspect. Maybe bigger.

The problem is Social Security is entirely Federal, but Medicaid is administered by the States - and the individual States set the specific income guidelines. Most likely somebody thought they were helping this woman by inquiring at the Social Security office for her, and the Social Security people followed up. The left hand and the right hand don't compare notes. Did the Social Security people know (or care) this would put her over the income limit for MA? Did some caseworker she dealt with at the State office put in an inquiry with SS thinking he or she was doing her a favor? Or was it orchestrated deliberately? I guess anything is possible, but somebody really screwed this woman with incompetence or to score a point. Either way it's horrible.

The only reason this woman is alive today and able to complain about the gov't screwing her is b/c the gov't paid for her six months of chemo. If the gov't stayed out of health care like you're saying, she'd already be dead.

The only reason this woman is alive today and able to complain about the gov't screwing her is b/c the gov't paid for her six months of chemo. If the gov't stayed out of health care like you're saying, she'd already be dead.

Honestly, that is a pretty good point.

How do you know that?

I agree with care but something tells me that liability waivers are worthless. Can Jillian or another lawyer chime in?

Don't forget the liability waiver would be signed under duress - sign or die - so of course a halfway competent lawyer would argue that she would be alive today if she perished after a complex operation failed. Even if the operation had only a nominal fifteen percent chance of success. After all there's an infant child who lost a mother and needs to have some compensation. Even if sixty percent (or more) goes to the lawyer.

yea and California has a Republican Gov.....thats why its so bad out here.....give us a fucking break will ya....the health care the Govt is offering will turn down the sickest amongst us just like those nasty Ins companies do....and if you dont think they will....then you are one naive sonofabitch....

The problem is Social Security is entirely Federal, but Medicaid is administered by the States - and the individual States set the specific income guidelines. Most likely somebody thought they were helping this woman by inquiring at the Social Security office for her, and the Social Security people followed up. The left hand and the right hand don't compare notes. Did the Social Security people know (or care) this would put her over the income limit for MA? Did some caseworker she dealt with at the State office put in an inquiry with SS thinking he or she was doing her a favor? Or was it orchestrated deliberately? I guess anything is possible, but somebody really screwed this woman with incompetence or to score a point. Either way it's horrible.

Can we just shut it down with this one?

I mean, no one is going to come up with anything better on this thread.

not if she had an Ins plan.....but no matter what....the woman got fucked....bottom line...the Govt is and will be just as selective as the private guys....

Let me make sure I understand this.

JS said, "Medicaid is run by the states"

Then DTMB said, "That is false. Medicaid is administered by the states"

Def of run:

carry out; "run an errand"
accomplish, carry out, carry through, fulfil, fulfill, action, execute - put in effect; "carry out a task";

Def of Administer:

manage, run, control, rule, direct, handle, conduct, command, govern, oversee, supervise,

What am I missing here?

Oh, that's right. Someone is once again trying to blame Republican policies on Obama. You would think that if Republicans hated so many of their own policies, they never would have enacted them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Def of run:

accomplish, carry out, carry through, fulfil, fulfill, action, execute - put in effect; "carry out a task";

Def of Administer:

manage, run, control, rule, direct, handle, conduct, command, govern, oversee, supervise,

What am I missing here?

Oh, that's right. Someone is once again trying to blame Republican policies on Obama. You would think that if Republicans hated so many of their own policies, they never would have enacted them.

now medicaid is a Republican thing?....a bunch of posts ago someone was saying the Democrats were responsible for it...remember that Dean?....

Def of run:

Def of Administer:

What am I missing here?

Your trying to parse a word and avoid what DTMB is presenting to you, dean. Once again you don't see the forrest through the trees.
Who ties your shoelaces in the morning for you?

New Topics

Forum List

Back