Me again. This time Windows 10 problem...What do I do now?

Okay, first off how old is your computer? Desktop or laptop? Who made it? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc). Do you still (or did you ever have) the Windows 7 disc?
I'd like to know the specs, do you know how to download a program and take a screenshot and post it?

It's not that hard to upgrade and most likely you can still do it for free you will need a thumb drive that's at least 4 gigabytes, Download Windows Media Creation Tool & Rufus to install the tool on the thumb drive. None of that is hard.
To start though you want to backup all your files (Documents, Pictures, etc) to a different thumb drive or to the "Cloud".
The "Cloud" is nothing more than storage and data retrieval that is not physically attached to your computer, it's accessed via the internet so you upload or download your files to or from it. You can use Google Drive, Amazon Web Services, Drop Box, etc for free up to a certain amount of storage, more than you'll ever use unless you're dealing in media files (music and video).
You'll also want to save your settings and bookmarks (in whatever browser you're using) as HTML, also very easy to do.
The reason to back up is there are typically less problems with doing a clean install than trying to upgrade and keep your files.

Once you've installed Win 10 then we can help you make it look and act more Windows 7 like.
My computer is maybe 10 years old. Desk top, Dell I don't have a disk for 7. No on downloading a program and taking a screen shot.

I do have Word, and the other program that is harder, forget the name. It was kind of expensic=ve. I have a good monitor that is large and a good keyboard and mouse that I would like to keep.

I see some towers that are 4GB and that is too low, right? I should have at least 12 gigabytes. All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome.
If you're going with a desktop then I'd recommend at least 6GB of RAM, 8 is better, 4 is the bare minmum. You only need a computer not the mouse or monitor unless you want to upgrade those as well and you can get a good one for under $200.
I like my monitor. It is very big, Dell. And my mouse I like. It's a roller ball.
Then by all means keep them.
I know I need the 3 year support from Dell. Hade that before. It was worth it.
No you don't but that's up to you.

Here's one that's most likely perfect for you. It's a mini tower and the hard drive is HDD as opposed to the faster SSD (solid state) but it's 2 TBs with 8 gigs of RAM. You can get the 3 year protection plan from Amazon for an extra $50.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J46FQCX/?tag=ff0d01-20

My computer is maybe 10 years old. Desk top, Dell I don't have a disk for 7. No on downloading a program and taking a screen shot.

I do have Word, and the other program that is harder, forget the name. It was kind of expensic=ve. I have a good monitor that is large and a good keyboard and mouse that I would like to keep.

I see some towers that are 4GB and that is too low, right? I should have at least 12 gigabytes. All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome.
If you're going with a desktop then I'd recommend at least 6GB of RAM, 8 is better, 4 is the bare minmum. You only need a computer not the mouse or monitor unless you want to upgrade those as well and you can get a good one for under $200.
I like my monitor. It is very big, Dell. And my mouse I like. It's a roller ball.

Here's one that's most likely perfect for you. It's a mini tower and the hard drive is HDD as opposed to the faster SSD (solid state) but it's 2 TBs with 8 gigs of RAM. You can get the 3 year protection plan from Amazon for an extra $50.
It's refurbished but there's nothing wrong with that in fact it's often better because it's been completely checked out to make sure everything is working.

I love it.

eef9e72e-ebc0-11e9-9e8e-4022fb9638c4_1320x770_133300.JPG

I was just reading a about a Dell and it said .01 centemeter screen. Isn't that tiny? Wonder if we were looking at the same one. That does sound good except that screen thing Oh wait. No. I don't want a refurbished computer. I want a new one, not someone elses problem.

Thank you for your help. I know now what I want and don't want. Thank you so much!
Oh and you DO NOT have to purchase an anti-virus any more besides you couldn't pay me to put McAfee or Norton on any of my systems. With Win 10 just use their built in Defender, it works quietly in the background, it's free and Microsoft has made HUGE strides in making their anti-virus nearly as good as the best ones out there.
This coming from a guy (me) who typically calls them Microsucks which means if I'm seeing massive improvement then they're finally doing something right..........
Windows 10 itself has seen many changes over the last 4 years, there's still room for a lot of improvement but it's not as bad as it was when first released followed by Microsoft's misguided and mostly failed attempts at over-controlling certain aspects of Win 10. They're finally listening and learning.

It's refurbished but there's nothing wrong with that in fact it's often better because it's been completely checked out to make sure everything is working.
I've been reading the reviews of refurbished computers and deccided it is as good as the person who refurbished it.

So need a new one for a little more $.

I was just reading a about a Dell and it said .01 centemeter screen. Isn't that tiny? Wonder if we were looking at the same one. That does sound good except that screen thing Oh wait. No. I don't want a refurbished computer. I want a new one, not someone elses problem.
Don't know what you're referring to with the ".01" but as for the refurbished, it's no longer a problem. All my laptops are refurbished Dells and work perfectly, I build my own desktops.

Thank you for your help. I know now what I want and don't want. Thank you so much!
Oh and you DO NOT have to purchase an anti-virus any more besides you couldn't pay me to put McAfee or Norton on any of my systems. With Win 10 just use their built in Defender, it works quietly in the background, it's free and Microsoft has made HUGE strides in making their anti-virus nearly as good as the best ones out there.
This coming from a guy (me) who typically calls them Microsucks which means if I'm seeing massive improvement then they're finally doing something right..........
Windows 10 itself has seen many changes over the last 4 years, there's still room for a lot of improvement but it's not as bad as it was when first released followed by Microsoft's misguided and mostly failed attempts at over-controlling certain aspects of Win 10. They're finally listening and learning.
That is great news. That will save me $. I had McAfee and had viruses all over the place.

Don't know what you're referring to with the ".01" but as for the refurbished, it's no longer a problem. All my laptops are refurbished Dells and work perfectly, I build my own desktops.
I would get one YOU refurbished, but still not sure of soemine else.

Should I just buy a new computer that has Windows 10 and none of the problems I have now? And, by the way, what is Cloud?
Okay, first off how old is your computer? Desktop or laptop? Who made it? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc). Do you still (or did you ever have) the Windows 7 disc?
I'd like to know the specs, do you know how to download a program and take a screenshot and post it?

It's not that hard to upgrade and most likely you can still do it for free you will need a thumb drive that's at least 4 gigabytes, Download Windows Media Creation Tool & Rufus to install the tool on the thumb drive. None of that is hard.
To start though you want to backup all your files (Documents, Pictures, etc) to a different thumb drive or to the "Cloud".
The "Cloud" is nothing more than storage and data retrieval that is not physically attached to your computer, it's accessed via the internet so you upload or download your files to or from it. You can use Google Drive, Amazon Web Services, Drop Box, etc for free up to a certain amount of storage, more than you'll ever use unless you're dealing in media files (music and video).
You'll also want to save your settings and bookmarks (in whatever browser you're using) as HTML, also very easy to do.
The reason to back up is there are typically less problems with doing a clean install than trying to upgrade and keep your files.

Once you've installed Win 10 then we can help you make it look and act more Windows 7 like.
Most of what you said I don't understand.
I actually bought a Dell this morning,. $499, fo a 12 G Inspiron. I got Microsoft for Home and Office, Accident Damage, Lap link, Mc Afee, premium 3 year support and the key board and mouse that I didn't want. All of that came to $955! I cancelled it. Now I think I shouldn't have. Just have them take off the mouse and keyboard, accident damage. Oh crap. Should I wait for Black Friday sales?
All you need is the computer. You don't need all that other crap. "Insurance" is always a rip-off. You can use free open source programs instead of Microsoft. You don't need any of the other stuff either. And forget the cloud. You aren't a multinational corporation.

Woe is me. No one can answer my problem.
I just did, kinda sorta. Only you can really answer your problem, only you can decide whether to try and upgrade or buy a new computer.
I can tell you the easiest method with the least amount of possible problems is to just buy a new computer. That said what do you primarily use it for?
All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome. I play some games but not gaming stuff that you have to buy. Just Majohng, solitaire andcrossword puzzles. And lots of Amazon,
Also, Amazon is evil. Don't give them money

Don't pay for Dell support. You are getting support here (great idea, btw). There's also the internet. But are you planning on setting up a second monitor or something? Why would you need support for anything. It sounds like you already do everything you want to

This is the one I gought and then canceled:
Inspiron Desktop
Discover a world of possibilities
Extensive storage meets upgraded speed and power in an innovative design that saves space without sacrificing performance.

Questions about delivery dates? We're here to help. Call 1-866-666-5719 or Click to Chat.

Save an extra 5%* sitewide when you finance.^
Financing Customers: Please enter code DPASave5Nov in Cart and select “Financing” as your payment method in Checkout. Extra 5% savings will be reflected on the Verify & Submit page, where you may confirm your order.
Starting at $499.99
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 9400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video CardDell Digital Locker or by calling 1-800-624-9897. Cancel prior to the auto-renewal date to avoid a charge for the next month. See Terms and Conditions for details.

Help Me Choose
Cancel anytime. Expert Support. No contracts. No fees.
No Monthly Subscription selected Included in Price
Monthly Subscription Premium Support +$4.99
Monthly Subscription Premium Support Plus +$9.99
Support

PCs:
You do everything on your PC, so keep it safe by upgrading your support plan. You'll prevent costly damage and downtime.
Help Me Choose: PC support options

Monitors:
When you choose Premium Support for monitors you get 24x7 support* for set-up, configuration, video card downloads & driver, help troubleshooting issues and if needed, next business day Advanced Exchange monitor replacement*
Help Me Choose: Monitor support options

View Limited Hardware Warranty here
Mail-in Service after Remote Diagnosis and Other Info
Service Contract Pricing/Purchasing PC without Contract

Help Me Choose
Basic Hardware Support
1 Year Mail In Service Included in Price
Premium Support: 24x7 hardware & software support
2 Years Premium Support +$99.00
3 Years Premium Support +$159.00
4 Years Premium Support +$209.00
Premium Support Plus - accident repairs included
1 Year Premium Support Plus +$119.00
2 Years Premium Support Plus +$209.00
Dell Recommended
3 Years Premium Support Plus +$299.00
4 Years Premium Support Plus +$379.00
Accidental Damage Service
Add Accidental Damage Service and Dell will repair or replace your system in the event of accidental drops, spills and power surges. Coverage period must match Support coverage period.

Help Me Choose

None Included in Price
Accidental Damage Service, 1 Year +$29.00
Accidental Damage Service, 2 Years +$49.00
Dell Recommended
Accidental Damage Service, 3 Years +$69.00
Accidental Damage Service, 4 Years +$89.00
Office 365
By choosing Office 365, you will have the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook, plus 1TB of cloud storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls a month. Choose between the subscription for 1 user (Office 365 Personal) or up to 5 users (Office 365 Home), and always have access to your documents from your mobile phone, tablet, PC or Mac.

Help Me Choose

None Included in Price
Office 365 Personal with Auto-Renewal +$69.99
Dell Recommended
Office 365 Home Annual Subscription with Auto-Renewal +$99.99
Office Productivity Software
Add the latest Office to your PC to do your best work – anywhere, anytime and with anyone.

Help Me Choose

Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial Included in Price
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 +$149.99
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 +$249.99
Microsoft Office Professional 2019 +$439.99
Digitally Downloaded Software

Help Me Choose

Dell Recommended
CyberLink Media Player with PowerDVD 19 Ultra +$79.99
PowerDirector® 17 Ultra and Cyberlink® PhotoDirector® 10 Ultra +$79.99

Dell Recommended for Inspiron

580-ADTYr1.jpg
Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo – KM636
Designed with sleek lines, a compact size and chiclet keys, the Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse KM636 offers a contemporary and comfortable design with the convenienc… more +$49.99
+$34.99
(111)
3.5 out of 5 stars. 111 reviews
A7197640_v3.jpg
Laplink PCmover Pro Download
PCmover® is the ONLY software that automatically transfers applications, files, settings, and user profiles from an old PC to a new one! It’s the easiest way to move to… more +$49.99
+$29.99
(6)
2.7 out of 5 stars. 6 reviews
A8722854.jpg
Microsoft Office 365 Personal 32-bit/x64 1 Year Subscription POS with Auto-Renewal
+$69.99
(0)
0.0 out of 5 stars.
A3945800.jpg
Logitech MK520 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
The Logitech® Wireless Combo MK520 keyboard and mouse puts control at your fingertips, thanks to its full-size keyboard with concave keys and contoured laser mouse. +$49.99
+$29.99
(81)
4.5 out of 5 stars. 81 reviews
A7104256.jpg
C2G 2m High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 4k - UltraHD - 6ft - HDMI with Ethernet cable - 6.6 ft
The C2G High Speed HDMI with Ethernet Cable is perfect for home theater or desktop audio video applications requiring high speed HDMI features and video resolutions up to 4k (… more

It was an option, if you're against it you're against it. Also when it comes to Office you'll most likely be able to transfer it to the new computer, you can download it from Microsoft as long as you have the product key. If not LibreOffice is just as good and it's free.

Woe is me. No one can answer my problem.
I just did, kinda sorta. Only you can really answer your problem, only you can decide whether to try and upgrade or buy a new computer.
I can tell you the easiest method with the least amount of possible problems is to just buy a new computer. That said what do you primarily use it for?
All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome. I play some games but not gaming stuff that you have to buy. Just Majohng, solitaire andcrossword puzzles. And lots of Amazon,
Also, Amazon is evil. Don't give them money
They get enough of mine already!

It was an option, if you're against it you're against it. Also when it comes to Office you'll most likely be able to transfer it to the new computer, you can download it from Microsoft as long as you have the product key. If not LibreOffice is just as good and it's free.
Libre office? Where do I get that?

First yeah like someone said you can still use window 7. heck on one of my computers I still have window XP

There just won't be any updates which is what I really hate about Windows

You can upgrade to windows 8.1

If I remember correctly upgrade to window 10 was free, it still should be just go to Windows website and see if its available

If your tired of windows you can up can upgrade to any of the open source products like Ubantu and the other flavors which are mostly free

But hey if you really want to buy a new computer

go for it

This is the one I gought and then canceled:
Inspiron Desktop
Discover a world of possibilities
Extensive storage meets upgraded speed and power in an innovative design that saves space without sacrificing performance.

Questions about delivery dates? We're here to help. Call 1-866-666-5719 or Click to Chat.

Save an extra 5%* sitewide when you finance.^
Financing Customers: Please enter code DPASave5Nov in Cart and select “Financing” as your payment method in Checkout. Extra 5% savings will be reflected on the Verify & Submit page, where you may confirm your order.
Starting at $499.99
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 9400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video CardDell Digital Locker or by calling 1-800-624-9897. Cancel prior to the auto-renewal date to avoid a charge for the next month. See Terms and Conditions for details.

Help Me Choose
Cancel anytime. Expert Support. No contracts. No fees.
No Monthly Subscription selected Included in Price
Monthly Subscription Premium Support +$4.99
Monthly Subscription Premium Support Plus +$9.99
Support

PCs:
You do everything on your PC, so keep it safe by upgrading your support plan. You'll prevent costly damage and downtime.
Help Me Choose: PC support options

Monitors:
When you choose Premium Support for monitors you get 24x7 support* for set-up, configuration, video card downloads & driver, help troubleshooting issues and if needed, next business day Advanced Exchange monitor replacement*
Help Me Choose: Monitor support options

View Limited Hardware Warranty here
Mail-in Service after Remote Diagnosis and Other Info
Service Contract Pricing/Purchasing PC without Contract

Help Me Choose
Basic Hardware Support
1 Year Mail In Service Included in Price
Premium Support: 24x7 hardware & software support
2 Years Premium Support +$99.00
3 Years Premium Support +$159.00
4 Years Premium Support +$209.00
Premium Support Plus - accident repairs included
1 Year Premium Support Plus +$119.00
2 Years Premium Support Plus +$209.00
Dell Recommended
3 Years Premium Support Plus +$299.00
4 Years Premium Support Plus +$379.00
Accidental Damage Service
Add Accidental Damage Service and Dell will repair or replace your system in the event of accidental drops, spills and power surges. Coverage period must match Support coverage period.

Help Me Choose

None Included in Price
Accidental Damage Service, 1 Year +$29.00
Accidental Damage Service, 2 Years +$49.00
Dell Recommended
Accidental Damage Service, 3 Years +$69.00
Accidental Damage Service, 4 Years +$89.00
Office 365
By choosing Office 365, you will have the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook, plus 1TB of cloud storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls a month. Choose between the subscription for 1 user (Office 365 Personal) or up to 5 users (Office 365 Home), and always have access to your documents from your mobile phone, tablet, PC or Mac.

Help Me Choose

None Included in Price
Office 365 Personal with Auto-Renewal +$69.99
Dell Recommended
Office 365 Home Annual Subscription with Auto-Renewal +$99.99
Office Productivity Software
Add the latest Office to your PC to do your best work – anywhere, anytime and with anyone.

Help Me Choose

Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial Included in Price
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 +$149.99
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 +$249.99
Microsoft Office Professional 2019 +$439.99
Digitally Downloaded Software

Help Me Choose

Dell Recommended
CyberLink Media Player with PowerDVD 19 Ultra +$79.99
PowerDirector® 17 Ultra and Cyberlink® PhotoDirector® 10 Ultra +$79.99

580-ADTYr1.jpg
Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo – KM636
Designed with sleek lines, a compact size and chiclet keys, the Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse KM636 offers a contemporary and comfortable design with the convenienc… more +$49.99
+$34.99
(111)
3.5 out of 5 stars. 111 reviews
A7197640_v3.jpg
Laplink PCmover Pro Download
PCmover® is the ONLY software that automatically transfers applications, files, settings, and user profiles from an old PC to a new one! It’s the easiest way to move to… more +$49.99
+$29.99
(6)
2.7 out of 5 stars. 6 reviews
A8722854.jpg
Microsoft Office 365 Personal 32-bit/x64 1 Year Subscription POS with Auto-Renewal
+$69.99
(0)
0.0 out of 5 stars.
A3945800.jpg
Logitech MK520 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
The Logitech® Wireless Combo MK520 keyboard and mouse puts control at your fingertips, thanks to its full-size keyboard with concave keys and contoured laser mouse. +$49.99
+$29.99
(81)
4.5 out of 5 stars. 81 reviews
A7104256.jpg
C2G 2m High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 4k - UltraHD - 6ft - HDMI with Ethernet cable - 6.6 ft
The C2G High Speed HDMI with Ethernet Cable is perfect for home theater or desktop audio video applications requiring high speed HDMI features and video resolutions up to 4k (… more
Look through this, 90% of all my computer supply shopping I do through Newegg.
desktops, Windows 10, DDR4, AMD Ryzen, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, Desktop, New, Desktop Computers, Desktop Computers, Computer Systems - Newegg.com

Libre office? Where do I get that?
You want the 6.2.8, the second one down not the first.
Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

Forum List

Back