Me again. This time Windows 10 problem...What do I do now?

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
I have Windows 7. When I bought my computer, I refused to get Windows 10 because I was used to 7. So now I hear I have to change to Widows 10 in January.

I was looking at new computers and then a bright thought came into my head...Get Windows 10 and load it in MY computer. Does that make sense? My computer freezes a lot...maybe that will help. But my knowledge is next to nil, so I thought I would have Geek Squad come out and do it for me. What do you think?

I googled "Geek Squad" and can't get an authentic Geek Squad contact. I hate the browser because that always happens. They give you ads instead of what you asked for. But, I digress...I just need some help.

Should I just buy a new computer that has Windows 10 and none of the problems I have now? And, by the way, what is Cloud?

You don´t have to. You can use Windows 7 until Armageddon if you like to but you won´t get more updates. Don´t let them make you paranoid about that.

You can either spend your money on the Geek Squad that will identify your problems and install Windows 10 or get a capable new PC with Windows 10 already on it.
If you have a lot of freezes, they are probably a result of malicious software or defective hardware. You can also use your Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 legally. You would have no costs but it is not worth the efforts.

Should I just buy a new computer that has Windows 10 and none of the problems I have now? And, by the way, what is Cloud?
Okay, first off how old is your computer? Desktop or laptop? Who made it? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc). Do you still (or did you ever have) the Windows 7 disc?
I'd like to know the specs, do you know how to download a program and take a screenshot and post it?

It's not that hard to upgrade and most likely you can still do it for free you will need a thumb drive that's at least 4 gigabytes, Download Windows Media Creation Tool & Rufus to install the tool on the thumb drive. None of that is hard.
To start though you want to backup all your files (Documents, Pictures, etc) to a different thumb drive or to the "Cloud".
The "Cloud" is nothing more than storage and data retrieval that is not physically attached to your computer, it's accessed via the internet so you upload or download your files to or from it. You can use Google Drive, Amazon Web Services, Drop Box, etc for free up to a certain amount of storage, more than you'll ever use unless you're dealing in media files (music and video).
You'll also want to save your settings and bookmarks (in whatever browser you're using) as HTML, also very easy to do.
The reason to back up is there are typically less problems with doing a clean install than trying to upgrade and keep your files.

Once you've installed Win 10 then we can help you make it look and act more Windows 7 like.

Okay, first off how old is your computer? Desktop or laptop? Who made it? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc). Do you still (or did you ever have) the Windows 7 disc?
I'd like to know the specs, do you know how to download a program and take a screenshot and post it?

It's not that hard to upgrade and most likely you can still do it for free you will need a thumb drive that's at least 4 gigabytes, Download Windows Media Creation Tool & Rufus to install the tool on the thumb drive. None of that is hard.
To start though you want to backup all your files (Documents, Pictures, etc) to a different thumb drive or to the "Cloud".
The "Cloud" is nothing more than storage and data retrieval that is not physically attached to your computer, it's accessed via the internet so you upload or download your files to or from it. You can use Google Drive, Amazon Web Services, Drop Box, etc for free up to a certain amount of storage, more than you'll ever use unless you're dealing in media files (music and video).
You'll also want to save your settings and bookmarks (in whatever browser you're using) as HTML, also very easy to do.
The reason to back up is there are typically less problems with doing a clean install than trying to upgrade and keep your files.

Once you've installed Win 10 then we can help you make it look and act more Windows 7 like.
My computer is maybe 10 years old. Desk top, Dell I don't have a disk for 7. No on downloading a program and taking a screen shot.

I do have Word, and the other program that is harder, forget the name. It was kind of expensic=ve. I have a good monitor that is large and a good keyboard and mouse that I would like to keep.

I see some towers that are 4GB and that is too low, right? I should have at least 12 gigabytes. All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome.

Woe is me. No one can answer my problem.
I just did, kinda sorta. Only you can really answer your problem, only you can decide whether to try and upgrade or buy a new computer.
I can tell you the easiest method with the least amount of possible problems is to just buy a new computer. That said what do you primarily use it for?

Most of what you said I don't understand.
I actually bought a Dell this morning,. $499, fo a 12 G Inspiron. I got Microsoft for Home and Office, Accident Damage, Lap link, Mc Afee, premium 3 year support and the key board and mouse that I didn't want. All of that came to $955! I cancelled it. Now I think I shouldn't have. Just have them take off the mouse and keyboard, accident damage. Oh crap. Should I wait for Black Friday sales?

My computer is maybe 10 years old. Desk top, Dell I don't have a disk for 7. No on downloading a program and taking a screen shot.

I do have Word, and the other program that is harder, forget the name. It was kind of expensic=ve. I have a good monitor that is large and a good keyboard and mouse that I would like to keep.

I see some towers that are 4GB and that is too low, right? I should have at least 12 gigabytes. All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome.
If you're going with a desktop then I'd recommend at least 6GB of RAM, 8 is better, 4 is the bare minmum. You only need a computer not the mouse or monitor unless you want to upgrade those as well and you can get a good one for under $200.

Woe is me. No one can answer my problem.
I just did, kinda sorta. Only you can really answer your problem, only you can decide whether to try and upgrade or buy a new computer.
I can tell you the easiest method with the least amount of possible problems is to just buy a new computer. That said what do you primarily use it for?
All I use the computer for is making forms, doing crossword puzzles, reading Drudge and the message board. I like to look things up, but like I said, it's hard with Google. Think I may have Google Chrome. I play some games but not gaming stuff that you have to buy. Just Majohng, solitaire andcrossword puzzles. And lots of Amazon,

I actually bought a Dell this morning,. $499, fo a 12 G Inspiron. I got Microsoft for Home and Office, Accident Damage, Lap link, Mc Afee, premium 3 year support and the key board and mouse that I didn't want. All of that came to $955! I cancelled it. Now I think I shouldn't have. Just have them take off the mouse and keyboard, accident damage. Oh crap. Should I wait for Black Friday sales?
Definitely cancel it, you don't need all that crap.

If you're going with a desktop then I'd recommend at least 6GB of RAM, 8 is better, 4 is the bare minmum. You only need a computer not the mouse or monitor unless you want to upgrade those as well and you can get a good one for under $200.
I like my monitor. It is very big, Dell. And my mouse I like. It's a roller ball.

Did you buy a laptop or desktop?

I negotiated with them for a while. I should have held at $750. They came down from $1200.

Yeah, you are right.

I like my monitor. It is very big, Dell. And my mouse I like. It's a roller ball.
Then by all means keep them.

Did you buy a laptop or desktop?
a desk top. I had a lap top and didn't like it. Gave it away.

Then by all means keep them.
I know I need the 3 year support from Dell. Hade that before. It was worth it.

Forum List

Back