McDonnell issues Confederate history month proclamation

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) has quietly declared April 2010 Confederate History Month, bringing back a designation in Virginia that his two Democratic predecessors -- Mark Warner and Tim Kaine -- refused to do.

Republican governors George Allen and Jim Gilmore issued similar proclamations. But in 2002, Warner broke with their action, calling such proclamations, a "lightning rod" that does not help bridge divisions between whites and blacks in Virginia.

Virginia Politics Blog - Despite previous governors' refusals, McDonnell issues Confederate history month proclamation

So how exactly do we commemorate Confederate History Month? When taking attendance are black kids in April considered only 3/5ths present?

I think I agree with the governor, for one slaves was not the only issue, and wasn't the main one.
I also think learning your states and regions history is very important, we also need to stop putting a stigma on it.

Right wing ....in your face politics

Is that where Bill Clinton learned to fly the Confederate flag?

"Elements of the Stars and Bars are incorporated into the flags that fly over many state capitols. Among them is Arkansas, which flew the dreaded symbol during the entire twelve years that Bill Clinton was governor."http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=24360

How quickly we forget.

I think I agree with the governor, for one slaves was not the only issue, and wasn't the main one.
I also think learning your states and regions history is very important, we also need to stop putting a stigma on it.

I hate to say this, but I actually agree with Luissa. You don't accomplish anything by brushing history under the rug and trying to pretend it never happened, and you sure as hell don't "bridge the gap" - any gap - that way.

Forum List

Back