McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference | Richmond Times-Dispatch

After two days of poundings by Democrats, Gov. Bob McDonnell apologized for omitting a reference to slavery in his proclamation designating April as Confederate History Month and amended it to include a condemnation of "the evil and inhumane practice."

I don't know what pisses me off more. The faux outrage by the NAACP and Democrats, or Bob McDonnell's folding like a rug under the pressure.....disgusting.:eusa_hand:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
The Confederate South had reasons to secede, and they are numerous. The Confederate South did not win the war. There is actually an Amendment to the Constitution which directly addresses slavery. Slavery was not considered a violation of "freedom" in the original Constitution, but provision was made for it to start to end.

Beyond that, everything is distoriton. A good case in point is commentator Roland Martin of CNN on Anderston Cooper 360. It starts about half-way down.

CNN.com - Transcripts

On the one hand, the original Secession was about the independence of the Southern States from the rest of it all. At issue was were the legal agreements and decisions regarding slavery. The famous Dred Scott Supreme Court decision had come down against slaves, in support of the slave owners. The Abolitionists were not seen as likely to be supportive of abiding by the Supreme Court decision, and the other rules.

The Secession of the South is better said the irrelevance of that region to what was then the United States of America. The Law Of The Land was not going to applied on their behalf.

Being Southerners, they did manage to split the Democratic Party vote. Republican Abraham Lincoln was elected, mostly with support from the Abolitionist regions. It was not a "De Jure," end of slavery. It was clearly perceived as a "De Facto" kind of end of slavery. Southerners, literally, would have no further Civil Rights regarding their property. The Supreme Court decisions were easily said to be of no concern to the Abolitionists. They had won! The Law was ridiculous, and it was the law of United States, 1860.

Not just planters would be alarmed at the likely impending, turn of events. Millions of Freed Slaves, on the labor market, would effectively destroy the economy of the South. When South Carolina bombed Fort Sumter, the response at the White House was to send in troops. No attempt would be made to isolate the incident, call for a national unity conference, reaffirm the Constitutional guarantees of property, and slave ownership: Or any other measures of reconciliation.

Lincoln called up the troops.

Lincoln had clear plans to kill them all. In the event of overnight Abolition: Any white child of the time could compute that their value to that new labor market would be about an apple a month. That was about real apples, not computers. Even when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation: The newly freed were requesed to work for a living wage, "when allowed."

Even Lincoln could understand about the half-cent a month kind of labor that was going to be on the market.

And so in the linked transcript, emotions run amok and no understanding of the condition of the Slaves or the Slaveholders--or the Southern White Middle Class--is even attempted, even by Anderson Cooper.

Notoriously, CNN is already famous for the ratings "war" it faces with the advertising community. It has none, and they all know.

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(Stupid Man Lincoln make smoke: Even in new media, telegraph, civilization!)

But this proclamation was about Confederate Heritage Month. It sought to educate Vriginians about their ancestors who fought in the war. 99% of whom were too poor to own a single slave. This has NOTHING to do with slavery.

It's been 150 years since slavery was made illegal. Can we move on at some point?

And might I add, it does my Liberal Democrat heart good to see yet another up-n-coming GOP star put his foot in his mouth.

:D

Hmm, a month devoted to celebrating treason?

That seems bad enough without the whole slavery thing...

That is obviously ONE way to look at it, but living down here and knowing just how many Southern soldiers died for state's rights, I have a slightly different view. Hell some Southern states lost nearly 10% of their population due to war deaths. Do these people not have a right to acknowledge those sacrifices?

That is obviously ONE way to look at it, but living down here and knowing just how many Southern soldiers died for state's rights, I have a slightly different view. Hell some Southern states lost nearly 10% of their population due to war deaths. Do these people not have a right to acknowledge those sacrifices?

Germans honor their war-dead, too, and they do so while still acknowledging that what their soldiers were fighting for was morally repugnant.

Germans honor their war-dead, too, and they do so while still acknowledging that what their soldiers were fighting for was morally repugnant.

So you find Southern soldiers who fought to protect their land and proeprty from invading Northern armies repugnant?

But this proclamation was about Confederate Heritage Month. It sought to educate Vriginians about their ancestors who fought in the war. 99% of whom were too poor to own a single slave. This has NOTHING to do with slavery.
How stupid. In 1860, Virginia not only had the largest population of slaves of any state in the Union, 1/3 of Virginia's population were slaves.

Why would you discount the history of 30% of your population because the average person didn't own a slave?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

How stupid. In 1860, Virginia not only had the largest population of slaves of any state in the Union, 1/3 of Virginia's population were slaves.

Why would you discount the history of 30% of your population because the average person didn't own a slave?

Where did I say I was discounting anyone?

So you find Southern soldiers who fought to protect their land and proeprty from invading Northern armies repugnant?

What they were ultimately fighting to preserve was. And that shouldn't just be glossed over.

Where did I say I was discounting anyone?
You are upset with your gov because he caved and mentioned your history more truthfully.

Kind of like the 4th of July. A day devoted to celebrating treason.

Course, it all depends who's committing the treason doesn't it?

Forum List

Back