McDonald's president who made $7.4 million last year says proposal to pay fast-food workers $22 an hour is 'costly and job-destroying'

OK I will give you one chance to explain your thinking. Here is the context.

They used to be those kinds of jobs. Manufacturing jobs that paid well went overseas. Farm jobs get done by illegals.

Your conclusion is that since other jobs left, then McDonald's jobs should magically pay more.

Explain why.

I did. More than once. Pay people to work or pay others to care for them. If people work where they can not make ends meet, the taxpayers pick up the slack. You pay one way or the other.

Not at all. Of course they want to make profit. That's the idea of having a business in the first place. But there is only so much profit one can make while staying nose to nose with competitors.

Labor and benefits is the largest expenditure for most any business. You try to get the labor done paying the least just like you or I do when we hire a mechanic, a plumber, a lawn care company. Businesses don't do anything different than what we do.
You get what you pay for.

If the place down the street is offering better money, they will hire away your best employees leaving you to replace them with less capable employees and a less desirable customer experience.

Thus my connecting service at fast food restaurants (the bottom of the employment barrel) with the state of the economy.

The issue with this is, the higher companies start paying people, the higher prices for goods and services become. In the end it all equals out until people start bitching they want to be paid higher wages again.
No. That's wrong and a lie you've been fed.

COMPETITION dictates prices on the sales side just as it does on the labor side.
Raise your prices and, unless there is an accompanying increase in quality, people go elsewhere.

They, owners and management, want you to scare you about labor costs but their intent is to maximize profits at the cost of quality and you are helping.

Why does a bacon cheeseburger at "five guys" cost $10 while the same burger at Wendys is $6?
Perceived quality of product and service.
FG pays its lowest people a buck more an hour than wendys

If the place down the street is offering better money, they will hire away your best employees leaving you to replace them with less capable employees and a less desirable customer experience.

Thus my connecting service at fast food restaurants (the bottom of the employment barrel) with the state of the economy.

That may be the case if you're looking for somebody to put a 70K addition on your house, but how much talent does one need to sweep a floor or dump french fries out of the hopper and salt them? These are non-skill jobs and that's why they pay what they do. I don't say that in a derogatory way because when I was younger I worked minimum wage jobs myself. It paved the way to better paying jobs until I found a line of work where I was needed by employers more than I needed them.

That may be the case if you're looking for somebody to put a 70K addition on your house, but how much talent does one need to sweep a floor or dump french fries out of the hopper and salt them? These are non-skill jobs and that's why they pay what they do. I don't say that in a derogatory way because when I was younger I worked minimum wage jobs myself. It paved the way to better paying jobs until I found a line of work where I was needed by employers more than I needed them.
Just because there's a job opening doesn't mean someone should be doing it. Where does this awful idea come from?

If everyone become a therapist, the job would pay minimum wage. Once again, you are living in the past. It was a part time job back when people could get factory jobs. Now those jobs are now overseas.
Yeah, no shit. That's the point. Not everyone can/will become a PT. They have a skill that's worth more money than the burger flipper or register operator. Same with truck driver, or electrician or plumber etc. Those are careers because it requires a skill. They are jobs you can make a good living at because not everyone is willing or able to acquire that skill. And there are plenty of jobs available which require a skill which pay well and have room to grow. You just have to be not lazy and go get them.

Society will, there will be no other choice.

That's part of the problem. Society keeps picking up the tab for people too lazy to do the work required to make it. We also keep telling those people it's not their fault that they should be able to support themselves and a family working at a minimum skill job. That's a lie. You shouldn't. That's not who those jobs are for, and if you choose to stay in them that's your choice but it's not my problem if you cant make ends meet. Here's some uncomfortable truth people need to hear. Sometimes you have to hold a job you dont necessarily like in order to make it. Life isnt all unicorn farts and rainbows.

What you are describing is the market setting the cost of labor not the government. One is good the other not so much.

Yeah, no shit. That's the point. Not everyone can/will become a PT. They have a skill that's worth more money than the burger flipper or register operator. Same with truck driver, or electrician or plumber etc. Those are careers because it requires a skill. They are jobs you can make a good living at because not everyone is willing or able to acquire that skill. And there are plenty of jobs available which require a skill which pay well and have room to grow. You just have to be not lazy and go get them

At one time a person could leave high school and find a job in manufacturing that would allow them a middle class life. Now those jobs are gone. You keep ignoring this.

That's part of the problem. Society keeps picking up the tab for people too lazy to do the work required to make it. We also keep telling those people it's not their fault that they should be able to support themselves and a family working at a minimum skill job. That's a lie. You shouldn't. That's not who those jobs are for, and if you choose to stay in them that's your choice but it's not my problem if you cant make ends meet. Here's some uncomfortable truth people need to hear. Sometimes you have to hold a job you dont necessarily like in order to make it. Life isnt all unicorn farts and rainbows.

The jobs are gone. They are located all over Asia.

I did. More than once. Pay people to work or pay others to care for them. If people work where they can not make ends meet, the taxpayers pick up the slack. You pay one way or the other.
Society gravitates in directions. Older people value independence. So, we built infrastructure for that. What if we had the elderly still living with their children in homes built for that over the decades? Of course, extreme feminism would be affected also as it is an artificial construct built on massive taxes and a positive for a percentage of the people involved who are above the curve. We see the massive poverty that still exists even after spending tens of trillions of dollars on it.

At one time a person could leave high school and find a job in manufacturing that would allow them a middle class life. Now those jobs are gone. You keep ignoring this.
Even if that were true, (and it's not) what's your point? Other jobs have replaced those jobs that have left. We've added over a 100 million people (not including the illegal immigrants) to the country since 1980, and yet unemployment is low, businesses are scrambling to find people to work. Your argument that these jobs dont exist is bull shit. People are just unwilling to do them because they are hard. I
The jobs are gone. They are located all over Asia.

All those places sound like US cities. Who knew they were in Asia.....

Even if that were true, (and it's not) what's your point? Other jobs have replaced those jobs that have left. We've added over a 100 million people (not including the illegal immigrants) to the country since 1980, and yet unemployment is low, businesses are scrambling to find people to work. Your argument that these jobs dont exist is bull shit. People are just unwilling to do them because they are hard. I

All those places sound like US cities. Who knew they were in Asia.....

Let's take this one.

https://www.jobs2careers.com/search/results?q=manufacturing&l=Jacksonville, Fl&distance=48

Look at those jobs. Those are singular jobs. Yes, a person can train to be a service technician for Toyota. Millions can not.

Even if that were true, (and it's not) what's your point? Other jobs have replaced those jobs that have left. We've added over a 100 million people (not including the illegal immigrants) to the country since 1980, and yet unemployment is low, businesses are scrambling to find people to work. Your argument that these jobs dont exist is bull shit. People are just unwilling to do them because they are hard.

Absolutely. In my former career they are short over 50,000 drivers. They can't find people to do the job. You can make into the six figures driving a truck depending on what you're willing to do, but even with that kind of money, nobody wants to work. School is pretty cheap and they all guarantee placement in a job once you get your CDL. You won't make any real money for the first year, but after that, you will be in very high demand with a promising career.

Five Guys vs Wendys

Let's take this one.

https://www.jobs2careers.com/search/results?q=manufacturing&l=Jacksonville, Fl&distance=48

Look at those jobs. Those are singular jobs. Yes, a person can train to be a service technician for Toyota. Millions can not.
yeah but there are 58 listings, in one city for one job description. now add in Electrician, plumber, drywall hanger, drywall finisher, laborer, welding, truck driver, carpenter, mason, etc. Your argument that the jobs dont exist is FUCKING BULL SHIT.

What you are describing is the market setting the cost of labor not the government. One is good the other not so much.
OK
Then let's do away with all those right to work laws and give unions the identical protections as businesses.

But wait! You hate unions because by forcing higher wages via negotiation that precious profit is diminished and the wealthy don't get as much.

Forum List

Back