McConnell is being urged by Republicans to vote to convict in Impeachment trial

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US

The lobbying started in the House after the January 6 attack on the Capitol and in the days leading up to impeachment. But it's now more focused on Sen. Mitch McConnell, the powerful minority leader who has signaled he may support convicting Trump.

"Mitch said to me he wants Trump gone," one Republican member of Congress told CNN. "It is in his political interest to have him gone. It is in the GOP interest to have him gone. The question is, do we get there?"

McConnell knows that the life of the Republican Party is on the line. Not only is the Dear Leader a cancer on this country, he is a cancer on the Republican Party. If the GOP really want to remain a viable political force in the US, they must cut the strings of trumpism once and for all. If McConnell does not lead the GOP member of the Senate with a vote of Guilty, they will all be sorry for years to come.

Trump helped Mitch lose the Senate so yeah, I imagine this is true. The problem is Mitch did as much to lose the Senate as Trump did.

The lobbying started in the House after the January 6 attack on the Capitol and in the days leading up to impeachment. But it's now more focused on Sen. Mitch McConnell, the powerful minority leader who has signaled he may support convicting Trump.

"Mitch said to me he wants Trump gone," one Republican member of Congress told CNN. "It is in his political interest to have him gone. It is in the GOP interest to have him gone. The question is, do we get there?"

McConnell knows that the life of the Republican Party is on the line. Not only is the Dear Leader a cancer on this country, he is a cancer on the Republican Party. If the GOP really want to remain a viable political force in the US, they must cut the strings of trumpism once and for all. If McConnell does not lead the GOP member of the Senate with a vote of Guilty, they will all be sorry for years to come.
mconnel is a fucking jerk....didnt have the balls to stand up to trump before....now he is a big tough guy....

mconnel is a fucking jerk....didnt have the balls to stand up to trump before....now he is a big tough guy....

The GOP has been spineless for decades.

McConnell is exceedingly calculating, so no doubt he's playing this as carefully as possible. He has to weigh getting rid of Trump (which he understandably wants to do) with the damage it would cause his party.

He coddled this buffoon for four years, putting party over country. Tough shit.

Trump helped Mitch lose the Senate so yeah, I imagine this is true. The problem is Mitch did as much to lose the Senate as Trump did.
And Trump sent a mob after his ass …. after all Mitch did for him over 4 years. LOL And he want's his legacy to be the Sup Ct, not Trump.

McConnell's run his last race, imo. Who wants to end up like Feinstein? I'm not sure he'll vote to convict. But I expect guys like him and Rove and Hogan want to find someone new. Maybe like Crenshaw. Tom Cotton reportedly shut down the voting against certifiying Biden's election.

Whoever the moron was that put Doug Collins in against Kelly Loeffler should be sent packing.
She would not have had a runoff election if Collins did not split the GOP vote.

I think at this point, McConnell is actually in the Convict camp. Since the Dear Leader doesn't even have legal representation, the odds of conviction are high.

Think about it. The Dear Leader lied for months, urging his cult to take every action they could to give him a second term. After losing multiple times in court. After he illegally pressured multiple election officials to "find votes" for him...he decided that a bloody coup was the only option. He and his fellow sedition planners used volatile words to his rally and called to action all those who he had been convinced that the election was stolen. He told them to march on the Capitol. These people were ready for violence and he knew it. Many were dressed in military garb and some even had armor on. The Dear Leader knew full well that the attack on the Capitol was going to be "wild." He deserves full credit for the act of sedition.

What greater act of treachery must a president commit before he is Impeached and prevented from ever holding public federal office in this country again. His actions and words caused the loss of life...and very nearly the loss of our Country.

Plus, when the facts come out, I very much believe he was far more involved in this act of sedition than we know at this point. If he is, he will be charged criminal charges and tried as a private citizen.

If he votes to convict Trump then he has the moral high ground to vote to convict Biden and Harris in 2022.

McConnell is exceedingly calculating, so no doubt he's playing this as carefully as possible. He has to weigh getting rid of Trump (which he understandably wants to do) with the damage it would cause his party.

McConnell took the tiger by the tail.

Whoever the moron was that put Doug Collins in against Kelly Loeffler should be sent packing.
The Georgia method is supposed to be the most democratic. If you don't have majority support, they keep holding elections until somebody does.

The Georgia method is supposed to be the most democratic. If you don't have majority support, they keep holding elections until somebody does.
Also known as a "jungle primary", followed by a runoff if no one gets >50%.
Point being you should only run one fucking candidate, not two.

McConnell took the tiger by the tail.
I don't doubt that for all his changing the rules in the last 6 years, and fucking over Garland, McConnell really loves the Senate institution. Trump literally incited an attempted aggravated assault on senators, including the republicans. HE's pissed. But he has less warm blood than Hillary. He openly says the gop's future is non-Trump, so that's his aim. But convicting Trump might not be the best way to get there.

Republicans serving their last term like McConnell is?

He coddled this buffoon
for four years, putting party over country. Tough shit.
The question tiion is, amount rank and file TTrump supporters; following the insurrection, the pardons of the sleazy characters and cronies, Trump's abhorrent behavior, his mishandling of the pandemic, and his contemptible attitudes that appeal only to the worst of Americans, is this dwindling base of conspiracy nuts worth it?

What's the upside of worrying about such a gang of nuts?

Forum List

Back