McConnell backs measure to change Senate rules, dismiss impeachment without articles

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is backing a resolution to change the Senate’s rules to allow for lawmakers to dismiss articles of impeachment against President Trump before the House sends them over.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) announced on Thursday that McConnell has signed on as a co-sponsor to the resolution, which he introduced earlier this week.

Spokesmen for McConnell didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about his support.

Changing the rules would either require a two-thirds vote or for Republicans to deploy the "nuclear" option.

The resolution would give the House 25 days to send articles of impeachment over to the Senate. After that, a senator could offer a motion to dismiss "with prejudice for failure by the House of Representatives to prosecute such articles" with a simple majority vote, according to Hawley's proposal.

McConnell has repeatedly lashed out at Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for delaying sending over the two articles of impeachment.

"This is what they have done: They have initiated one of the most grave and most unsettling processes in our Constitution and then refused to allow a resolution," he said on Thursday.

SNIP

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

------------

Keep holding those articles hostage and next week you can wipe your ass with them! Nasty bastard!

Former Senator Richard Bryan fact checks McConnell on Clinton impeachment trial procedure: “we had the benefit of witness input before any of the proceedings began... this is totally different in my view”

Former Senator Richard Bryan fact checks McConnell on Clinton impeachment trial procedure: “we had the benefit of witness input before any of the proceedings began... this is totally different in my view”
2 words...tough shit!...ROTFLMFAO!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is backing a resolution to change the Senate’s rules to allow for lawmakers to dismiss articles of impeachment against President Trump before the House sends them over.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) announced on Thursday that McConnell has signed on as a co-sponsor to the resolution, which he introduced earlier this week.

Spokesmen for McConnell didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about his support.

Changing the rules would either require a two-thirds vote or for Republicans to deploy the "nuclear" option.

The resolution would give the House 25 days to send articles of impeachment over to the Senate. After that, a senator could offer a motion to dismiss "with prejudice for failure by the House of Representatives to prosecute such articles" with a simple majority vote, according to Hawley's proposal.

McConnell has repeatedly lashed out at Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for delaying sending over the two articles of impeachment.

"This is what they have done: They have initiated one of the most grave and most unsettling processes in our Constitution and then refused to allow a resolution," he said on Thursday.

SNIP

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

------------

Keep holding those articles hostage and next week you can wipe your ass with them! Nasty bastard!
Works for me.

Hurry up Mitch the MSM thinks Nancy is winning the PR battle. The senate needs to put a time limit on Nancy's grandstanding.

McConnell already dismissed an impeachment trial by stating he was going to FIX THE TRIAL, not be impartial..... So 6 or 1/2 dozen to me....

Neither, is justice.

McConnell already dismissed an impeachment trial by stating he was going to FIX THE TRIAL, not be impartial..... So 6 or 1/2 dozen to me....

Neither, is justice.

After the partisan lynching in the House by Schiff and Nadler stop whining about "justice".
Mitch will give the "Articles" all of the seriousness that they deserve, and then dismiss them.

The Senate should just go ahead and set the date for the trial to start, then dismiss the impeachment, with prejudice, for lack of evidence if the articles of impeachment haven't been delivered...

I thought Pelousy and Shifforbrains were hot to trot to impeach Trump?? Why not send the articles to the Senate and get that show on the road??

What a giant shit show. Guess they don't care that McConnell can null and void the whole thing.

What a waste of tax dollars and they are paving the way for a Trump win in 2020.

Forum List

Back