McCarthy Pledges Commission To Look At Social Security, Medicare Cuts

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) announced Wednesday he was launching a commission tasked with looking at budget cuts – and he suggested Social Security and Medicare could come under his scalpel.

His pledge came just months after vowing such cuts to mandatory spending programs were off the table.

You don’t think his billionaire handlers gave him his marching orders do you?

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) announced Wednesday he was launching a commission tasked with looking at budget cuts – and he suggested Social Security and Medicare could come under his scalpel.

His pledge came just months after vowing such cuts to mandatory spending programs were off the table.

RAWSTORY again......

People on SSI hardly get enough to survive as it is. I hope we can all agree to vote out all these filthy anti-old, poor and disabled idiots in 2024. They must pay for their act of cruelty.
Hardly get enough to survive under Joe Bitem's economic disaster. But their SS would of gone a lot farther, if President Trump was in office, gasoline and food prices kept low, and many people working thus contributing to SS. But alas, you fucking morons allowed the big steal of 2020 and now you are bitching about a RAWSTORY hit job.

The revelation that the US govt gave $1.3 Billion to china and Russia to study gender equaluty, cats, and other BS proves there is more than enough fraud, waste, and abuse that can be cut.

The problem is that politicians don't look at the US budget as THEIR budget and US tax revenue as THEIR own money. Politicians would NEVER fund the BS they spend our money on if it came out of their own pockets.

This Congress needs to burn in Hell

We need to look at making these programs solvent but it shouldn't be just looking at cuts only. We will need to do a combination of things. Frankly, I believe it should be means tested. Why the very rich get social security checks is beyond me and I defend the rich from the left's nonsense all the time.

We need to look at making these programs solvent but it shouldn't be just looking at cuts only. We will need to do a combination of things. Frankly, I believe it should be means tested. Why the very rich get social security checks is beyond me and I defend the rich from the left's nonsense all the time.

Because they paid into it just like everyone else.

I don't give a crap that they paid into it. They pay into a lot of other things and never get their money back.

And this seems a good system to you?

Hey, you ended up doing great with your life, so we are keeping all your money.

So, what would you put the limit at for not getting an SS?

As I have said before (and been punished for it!), Social Security benefits the very rich and the very poor while screwing the middle class who pays for most of it. The very rich stop paying Social Security taxes at a relatively low income level, while the poor receive benefits way beyond what they have paid into the system.

Means testing will merely confirm Social Security's status as a welfare program. It is already in place to the extent that its benefits become taxable over certain income levels. The only reason it has not become completely means tested is the public's belief that they are actually paying into a trust account with their names on it. This "trust" is quickly disappearing.

And this seems a good system to you?

Hey, you ended up doing great with your life, so we are keeping all your money.

So, what would you put the limit at for not getting an SS?
They pay into a lot of things where they get no money back. I don't know what the logistics of it all would be but I'd say if you have a net worth of over one million dollars AND receive more than 400K in income from all sources then you get stiffed SS. I'd probably be in favor of them still having Medicare.

Social Security is already means tested.

WW

Yes.

Then why does Bill Gates get a SS check?

Or you don't know what means testing means.
If we look at a single person. There are three differences in Social Security based on other income:
  • Make under $25,000 and the Federal Income Tax on all Social Security retirement is 0%.
  • Make between under $25,000 and $33,999 and the Federal Income Tax is charged on 50% of an individuals Social Security retirement.
  • Make between over $34,000 and the Federal Income Tax is charged on 85% of an individuals Social Security retirement.
For Social Security, the degree to which it is taxed is a function of how much other income you have. The very poster child of means testing.

WW

Yes.

Or you don't know what means testing means.
If we look at a single person. There are three differences in Social Security based on other income:
  • Make under $25,000 and the Federal Income Tax on all Social Security retirement is 0%.
  • Make between under $25,000 and $33,999 and the Federal Income Tax is charged on 50% of an individuals Social Security retirement.
  • Make between over $34,000 and the Federal Income Tax is charged on 85% of an individuals Social Security retirement.
For Social Security, the degree to which it is taxed is a function of how much other income you have. The very poster child of means testing.

WW
Means testing SS means that Bill Gates wouldn't get a social security check.

Means testing SS means that Bill Gates wouldn't get a social security check.

No it doesn't. means testing means that the how much you receive varies based on how much income you have.

People with low incomes get a bigger effective benefit that those with slightly higher incomes and more than those with high incomes.

That is means testing.

Now if you want to say "incomes above such-n-such shouldn't receive any benefits". That is fine, that is also means testing. However to say that currently Social Security isn't means tested, is false.

WW

Forum List

Back