Mayor Pete learning about problems facing rail infrastructure by spending a week living as a train!

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
:auiqs.jpg:

WASHINGTON—In an attempt to assess the problem from the ground up, transportation secretary nominee Pete Buttigieg told reporters Friday he was learning about the challenges facing the nation’s outdated rail infrastructure by living as a train for a week.​
“ I’ve spent seven days as a cross-country passenger train, transporting thousands of Americans under my own power so I can better understand the plight of our great railways,” said Buttigieg, who demurred when asked whether President Biden, a well-known Amtrak enthusiast, would be hopping aboard his new Cabinet member for a round-trip express ride from D.C. to Wilmington, DE.​
“I intend to complete a multiday route between New York and Los Angeles, and while I know it will be tough to hit all the stops on time, I can’t think of a better way to get acquainted with America’s proud but neglected rolling stock, or meet its aging, dilapidated tracks. And when I roll through your town, feel free to climb into my café car, grab a cup of coffee, and share any concerns you have about rail travel.”​
At press time, reports confirmed the former South Bend, IN mayor had derailed at 80 mph, leaving 27 passengers dead and another 54 gravely injured.​

kowtsdxcpftw6mf5nhfw.jpg

What a doofus. Amtrak is an irrelevant part of cross-country travel in America. Right now, except for the NY to Washington DC area, its just a trip into nostalgia.

A lot more people drive the Interstate system. Mr. Buttigieg should be driving if he wants a cross country junket to assess US transportation and that would give him an opportunity to examine out nation's gay rest stops

If Petey is specifically interested in rail and rolling stock, bringing in executives from Norfolk Southern and other rail lines would be a lot easier and comprehensive than a junket.

What a doofus. Amtrak is an irrelevant part of cross-country travel in America. Right now, except for the NY to Washington DC area, its just a trip into nostalgia.

A lot more people drive the Interstate system. Mr. Buttigieg should be driving if he wants a cross country junket to assess US transportation and that would give him an opportunity to examine out nation's gay rest stops

Well - Europe, China and Japan spent tens of billions if not trillions on high speed rail. I guess you know more than they do!

Ive heard that *biden cancelled keystone so that warren buffett would benefit from oil being railed on trains

Well you heard from some stupid person who doesn't know anything about the oil business or pipelines.

Well - Europe, China and Japan spent tens of billions if not trillions on high speed rail. I guess you know more than they do!

The Saudis have also built high speed rail services all over the country.

Japan, China and Europe are a lot more densely populated nations. Sort of like near NY and Washington in America, where railroads are viable for passenger travel

Japan, China and Europe are a lot more densely populated nations. Sort of like near NY and Washington in America, where railroads are viable for passenger travel

Saudi Arabia isn't densely populated and they have high speed rail going north, south, east and west.

No one wants to ride a fucking train. Dems wasn’t to send us back to the 1800’s.

I love trains and train travel.

I had some friends who did a Euro vacation in 2019 before the pandemic and another who married a Chinese gal and visited her folks. They all RAVED about the high speed rail, the cleanliness and the speed. And my cousin and her family live near Paris right near a rail line and they scoot around Europe several times a year. They own one old car for the short drive into town for groceries.

If we continue the buffoonery on being last among developed nations in infrastructure, we'll be forever ridiculed.

No one wants to ride a fucking train. Dems wasn’t to send us back to the 1800’s.

I had some friends who did a Euro vacation in 2019 before the pandemic and another who married a Chinese gal and visited her folks. They all RAVED about the high speed rail, the cleanliness and the speed. And my cousin and her family live near Paris right near a rail line and they scoot around Europe several times a year. They own one old car for the short drive into town for groceries.

If we continue the buffoonery on being last among developed nations in infrastructure, we'll be forever ridiculed.

I used to live in Switzerland and I took trains all over Europe.

I have also ridden trains up and down the East Coast to Florida and a far West as Birmingham. I really love train travel. We are last among developed nations in many categories.

Saudi Arabia isn't densely populated and they have high speed rail going north, south, east and west.
While I agree on improvements to get closer to world standards, I would not have used the Saudis (an autocratic regime that funded 9/11, on occasion hold the world temporarily to ransom with oil prices and supply to the detriment of the United States and whose leader sanctions and carries out high profile murders of political dissidents. I do not want us to be like the Saudis.

I have also ridden trains up and down the East Coast to Florida and a far West as Birmingham. I really love train travel. We are last among developed nations in many categories.

Yep, but our trains and theirs are night and day. I too enjoy the clickety-clack of riding Amtrak - Relaxing.
But 80 vs 200-250 mph? I'll take the latter!

America leads the way , however, in road transportation and private automobiles.

And that's a lot more practical and convenient for people.

A private car allows me to determine my own route, and my own schedule, and enjoy portal to portal service.

If I wanted to travel to Chicago (for example) by train, After getting a ticket, I would have to drive or get a ride to Alliance Ohio and be there at the time the train arrives (at 1:39 a.m. each night)

Then, I would need a ride from the train station in Chicago to my final destination there, taking a Uber, rent a car, get a ride, whatever.

Not very convenient compared to getting in my automobile at the time I want , driving direct to the exact location in Chicago I need to go to.

Yep, but our trains and theirs are night and day. I too enjoy the clickety-clack of riding Amtrak - Relaxing.
But 80 vs 200-250 mph? I'll take the latter!

If you are in a hurry, a jet travels a lot faster than the fastest train.

America leads the way , however, in road transportation and private automobiles.

And that's a lot more practical and convenient for people.

A private car allows me to determine my own route, and my own schedule, and enjoy portal to portal service.

If I wanted to travel to Chicago (for example) by train, After getting a ticket, I would have to drive or get a ride to Alliance Ohio and be there at the time the train arrives (at 1:39 a.m. each night)

Then, I would need a ride from the train station in Chicago to my final destination there, taking a Uber, rent a car, get a ride, whatever.

Not very convenient compared to getting in my automobile at the time I want , driving direct to the exact location in Chicago I need to go to.

Your opinion is noted - But rejected. Your anecdotal experience is based on trains in the US. Travel abroad, and that opinion would change. Either that or visit Portland Oregon sometime and ride the Max Light Rail. You can get anywhere in the metro area for about 2 bucks and the trains run every 15 minutes.

Forum List

Back