Maya warrior queen may have built the longest 'white road' in the Yucatán

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The road was raised above the surrounding countryside and paved with a plaster made from limestone, resulting in the name "sacbe" — "white road" in Mayan. The Maya built many such roads, but the sacbe between Cobá and Yaxuná is the longest of these, and it would have been a big investment in time and resources, said Traci Ardren, an archaeologist at the University of Miami.

..."We tend to interpret them as activities which sort of proclaim the power of one polity, or at least, the alliance of some nature between the two polities," Ardren said.

"Cobá represents a very traditional classic Mayan city in the form of a dynastic family, which holds all the power and is centered on one place," she said.

But Chichen Itza had a different economic and political model, more "plugged in" to other parts of Mesoamerica; archaeological finds suggest it had links with very distant regions, such as Costa Rica and the American Southwest, she said.
Maya warrior queen may have built the longest 'white road' in the Yucatán | Live Science

How 'bout because not having a road sucked?

Let me see.

This precious lady has not conquered yet the town located miles away from her jurisdiction.

However, rather than sending her troops thru the common paths and possible forest in order to attack by surprise the enemy and obtain a sure victory, she decided to build a pavement road instead.

So, the enemy has had the chance to observe how the road constructors (the queen Public Works Department) did a wonderful well delineated road which included bike and pedestrian traffic, coming their way for them to be invaded.

I don't know much about that queen, but I have the strong feeling that the current archeologists are missing great details about the chronology of the events.

Forum List

Back