Matthew 12:40

.oldschool,
re: "Perhaps 'heart of the earth' has a different meaning than you imagine."

Perhaps, but that would be an issue for a different topic. Maybe you could start one.
"O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD." (Jer 22:29)

.oldschool,
re: "O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD." (Jer 22:29)"

I don't understand. You quoted my comment to you in post #192 but I don't see what Jeremiah 22:29 has to do with it. I wonder if you might explain why you think that it does?

.oldschool,
re: "O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD." (Jer 22:29)"

I don't understand. You quoted my comment to you in post #192 but I don't see what Jeremiah 22:29 has to do with it. I wonder if you might explain why you think that it does?
Just trying to show that "earth" doesn't always mean "dirt" in scripture.

.oldschool,
re: "Just trying to show that 'earth' doesn't always mean "dirt" in scripture."

And as I said previously, that is an issue for a different topic. If you want to discuss the meaning of "heart of the earth" you should start a new topic.

Matthew 12:40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

May I ask why it matters? Don't know about "6th day" folks.......seems to me we have Jesus crucified on Friday (daylight - before the beginning of Passover), then Saturday, then Sunday........known in Christianity as Resurrection Sunday generally...........I don't see what it matters though.......
Christ rose on the morning of the 4th day.

The Original Tree,
re: "Christ rose on the morning of the 4th day."

That is an issue for a different topic.

Matthew 12:40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

May I ask why it matters? Don't know about "6th day" folks.......seems to me we have Jesus crucified on Friday (daylight - before the beginning of Passover), then Saturday, then Sunday........known in Christianity as Resurrection Sunday generally...........I don't see what it matters though.......

Given the Matthew 12:40 quote, if Jesus were crucified on Friday, how do you get three nights if Jesus appears to Mary on Sunday Morning?

onefour1,
re: "Given the Matthew 12:40 quote, if Jesus were crucified on Friday, how do you get three nights if Jesus appears to Mary on Sunday Morning?"

Unless tipofthespear tries to explain it by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language, this topic does not apply to him.

tipofthespear,

re: "May I ask why it matters?"

When asked by the scribes and Pharisees for a sign of his authority, the Messiah said that the only sign would be His entombment for three days AND three nights. If He didn't spend that time in the tomb, then He would not qualify as the Messiah. So why do you think that it is not important as to the length of time?

Do you know of any writing that was asked for in the OP?

Ok, so you are trying to "discredit" Jesus based on the "particular reading" of a specific Scripture...........I read it as it is written.....both in the KJV and the CJB, and I have no problem understanding that Jesus was in the tomb for three days and nights......it may not have been a complete 72 hour time, but do not care, nor believe anyone would try to count it down to the very second, and if Jesus was resurrected ONE OR TWO seconds early, they would then PROCLAIM: AHA! SEE! HE IS NOT THE MESSIAH!

Don't forget when Jesus spoke of destroying the Temple, and He said He would raise it in three days..........and there are other references as well. Buy yourself a KJV, or other translation, and spend some time studying...........there is much to learn...

Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies
What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

1. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
  2. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
  3. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
  4. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus

In Ezekiel it does speak of a sanctuary; however, that doesn't necessary mean a building of brick, mortar and stone. It infers to a spiritual abode (a bodily sanctuary. I do believe that another temple will be built, but it will be in response to the Anti-Christ, who will then desecrate it with his image after 3.5 years. I do see that the Jews are returning to Israel as we draw near the the Messiah's emanate return to catch away His Church. After the 7 year Time of Jacob's trouble, the Messiah will return along with His Church to lock away the Adversary and rule/reign for 1000 years. This is all in the future. The Messiah's first and foremost job was to pave a way of salvation by being the perfect sacrifice for sin. This He has done. The Word of GOD does't indicate all this would happen in one shot. To everything there is a season...

Isaiah 8:14
"And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem."
And doesn't the verse above fit Jesus to a "T". So tell me, do you find Jesus offensive and a bitter pill to swallow? I've read what you have written, and it doesn't sound at all like the notion of Jesus the Messiah/Christ doesn't make you uncomfortable to say the very least. Think on that...

Last edited:
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a discussion with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase x days and xnights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didnt include at least parts of the x days and at least parts of the x nights?
Three is a sign or a symbol that it means the Coming of the Lord. Yeshua means Savior or Salvation. Jesus name means Savior. And when Jonah exited the fish mouth on the third day. He said Salvation comes from the Lord. That he was saying that it is one of the fruits that God brought forth. And the meaning of it, it is that we have to be in the dark for a certain period (like a trimester or third of a day, week , month, years and etc..) in order to recognize the Light. During this period of darkness without God. That it will have us praying from the heart like the way Jonah prayed. That period will bring us all down to our knees, humble.

2 Peter 3:8
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Psalm 90:4
A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.

John 1:10
He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.

John 14:9
Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Matthew 9:15
Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.

Isaiah 29:13
The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.

John 4:23
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

Jonah 2:9
But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”

Psalm 118:18
The Lord has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death.

Hebrews 12:6

because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer as to which day of the week Jesus was crucified. IIRC, my elementary school Catholicism taught me as Friday and he rose again on the third day Sunday; Catholics have Good Friday and Easter Sunday. A part of a day is counted as a whole day.

"And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath," Mark 15:42 backs it up as the Sabbath is Saturday.

However, I'm Christian since 2012. I don't believe in Catholicism.

What is interesting is some scholars think Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and rose on Sunday. It's complex for me to explain it as it is based on the Jewish calendar and they consider there were two Sabbaths during the Passover week. It goes something like Jesus was buried in the evening of Wednesday which meant it became Thursday on the Jewish Calendar. Jewish Thursday to Jewish Sunday could be counted as three days and three nights.

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer as to which day of the week Jesus was crucified. IIRC, my elementary school Catholicism taught me as Friday and he rose again on the third day Sunday; Catholics have Good Friday and Easter Sunday. A part of a day is counted as a whole day.

"And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath," Mark 15:42 backs it up as the Sabbath is Saturday.

However, I'm Christian since 2012. I don't believe in Catholicism.

What is interesting is some scholars think Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and rose on Sunday. It's complex for me to explain it as it is based on the Jewish calendar and they consider there were two Sabbaths during the Passover week. It goes something like Jesus was buried in the evening of Wednesday which meant it became Thursday on the Jewish Calendar. Jewish Thursday to Jewish Sunday could be counted as three days and three nights.
In the scripture it tells us what was happening during the time of the crucifixion. They were celebrating the Passover, which Jesus was celebrating with His disciples. Where Judas dipped in the bowl at the same time when Jesus dipped into the bowl. The Passover started on Thursday evening at sunset. And the Israelites must devour all of the Passover lamb before the rooster crows. And what they have not finished, must be tossed into the fire. But there were some who gave the leftovers to the non-Jews like the Romans, outside of the gate to finished the rest of it.
The Passover celebration last until sunset, the time when Jesus gave up His spirit. And the Jews that were in the crowd went home to performed the traditional weekly The weekly Sabbath started on Friday at sunset. Which the weekly Sabbath, that they are to stayed in doors during that period, until Saturday at sunset. They are not allowed to glean the fields during that sabbath, which that is why the Pharisees were upset at Jesus' disciples for gleaning the wheat field for food. But then the celebration of the First Fruit started after the weekly Sabbath. Which it was the day that Jesus was born, and born again on that very same day. The day when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, on a Sunday before the sunrise.
And it says in the scriptures that it was the High Sabbath, which that Sabbath comes around every 350 years. The Hebrews were freed from Egypt right after the Passover during a High Sabbath, the seventh Jubilee,. That is why it was very important to God for them to celebrate it. And after they had left Egypt, They roamed in the desert for 10 years, and then they've stayed in the wilderness for another forty years. Which in total amount of years it was 400 years in a strange land that didn't belonged to them.
And it was a High Sabbath when the Hebrews arrived in Egypt. Which they weren't allowed to do any labor for seven years, like when they've left Egypt. Pharaoh wasn't going to let the Hebrews to celebrate by them not working for seven years.

John 20:15
He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?” Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

John 15:1
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.

Genesis 15:13
Then the Lord said to him, “Know for certain that for four hundred years your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own and that they will be enslaved and mistreated there.

Last edited:
Aletheia4u,

I don't see where your comments provide examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime could occur or when no part of a night time could occur. What do you have in mind?

james bond,
re: "I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer as to which day of the week Jesus was crucified."

That would be an issue for a different topic.

Forum List

Back