DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Brian Williams: "I graduated from MIT"

DOH !!!!!!

MSNBC
stated on March 5, 2020 in an MSNBC segment:

“Bloomberg spent $500 million on ads. The U.S. population is 327 million. He could have given each American $1 million and still have money left over.”

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is rich, but he's not that rich.

The false inflation of Bloomberg's wealth started when a journalist incorrectly tweeted that he could've used his $500 million in 2020 ad spending and "given each American $1 million and still have money left over." Then, without anyone breaking out a calculator, the tweet ended up on MSNBC's 11th Hour with Brian Williams, with both the host and The New York Times' Mara Gay going along with it.

"Somebody tweeted recently ... with the money he spent he could've given every American a million dollars," Gay said of Bloomberg on the show. "When I saw this on social media tonight, it kind of all became clear," Williams said before reading the false tweet out loud. "Don't tell us if you're ahead of us on the math here," Williams continued. Someone should've. "It's true, it's disturbing," Gay continued. It is very much not the former.

Brian Williams And An MSNBC Guest Did Some Very Bad Math On The Bloomberg Campaign
Could Mike Bloomberg have given us all $1 million each with the money he spent running for president??

By Clarissa-Jan Lim Clarissa-Jan LimBuzzFeed News Reporter
Last updated on March 6, 2020, at 12:07 p.m. ET

Posted on March 6, 2020, at 11:20 a.m. ET

• Twitter Tweet
  • Facebook Share
  • Copy Copy

sub-buzz-443-1583510147-7.png

Joe Raedle / Getty Images/BuzzFeed News

Cable news networks get criticized a lot for their political coverage these days, but it's rare that they are mocked because of a math problem.

On MSNBC's 11th Hour with Brian Williams on Thursday night, guest Mara Gay, a member of the New York Times editorial board, brought up a tweet with a glaring mathematical miscalculation while discussing former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg's decision to drop out of the Democratic primary.

"Bloomberg spent $500 million on ads. The US population is 327 million. He could have given each American $1 million and still have money left over. I feel like a $1 million check would be life-changing for most people. Yet he wasted it all on ads and STILL LOST," writer Mekita Rivas tweeted on Super Tuesday. (Rivas has since made her Twitter account private.)

Bloomberg had bet on big Super Tuesday returns, spending half a billion dollars to flood the airwaves in states that voted on March 3. He ended up winning in only one place: the US territory of American Samoa. He dropped out the next day.

Hey cool guys !! I just found a $50 dollar bill, I can now go out and buy three pizzas, and still have about a $100.00 left over !!

Forum List

Back