Master and commander is good movie

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Just saw it for the first time since it came out
Wow was this movie utterly superb despite not making much money
Non stop entertaining , an early 1800s navy movie between the pursuit to the death between a British and French ship as both engage in wits

Non stop entertaining , an early 1800s navy movie between the pursuit to the death between a British and French ship as both engage in wits

Oh yes - I saw this when it first came out. First class movie. I still play the DVD a few time a year.

The ending was a tad bewildering ?
They said something like the captain is not dead and the doctor died months ago , then they change course to pursue the ship again .

Oh yes - I saw this when it first came out. First class movie. I still play the DVD a few time a year.

The movie failed at the box office as the crowds were far more into sci-fi than realism

The definitive book series about the Georgian Navy in the Napoleonic Wars (1803 - 1815) are the 16 novels (and one short story) of the "Horatio Hornblower" series.

When Patrick O'Brian decided to write the Jack Aubry novels (starting with "Master and Commander" first published in 1969) he knew they would be compared with Hornblower books that were incredibly popular.

He decided to make Jack Aubrey the exact opposite a character from Hornblower. While Hornblower was tall, thin, and dark haired. Aubrey was blonde, short, and a bit overweight. Hornblower was always serious, was very closed mouthed, and not particularly friendly (although his men loved him). Aubrey is quite talkative, loves a good joke and loves a party.

The one area where completely differ is their attitude towards music. Aubrey loves music and is an enthusiastic, if not accomplished, musician. The first time he meets his close friend Stephen Maturin in the book "Master and Commander" is at a musical concert in Minorca. The two men actually get into an argument over Aubrey getting carried away and beating his foot to the music just slightly off the beat. Hornblower, on the hand, hated music and admitted he was completely tone deaf.

That is my favorite movie, hands down.

New Topics

Forum List

Back