Massive Star Just Vanished

2.5 Million time brighter than the sun, and now it's gone. No explosion, it's just gone.

Stuff like this makes me sure the universe is a simulation

He just vanished!

46edb661-db67-42f1-81f3-66f9d5f02857_289581_RETINA_PORTRAIT_16_9.jpg

The article says it's a variable star ... and it went dim ... er ... I kinda thought that's what the "variable" in variable star means ... meh ... slow news day or something ...
No. It didn't "go dim", it went black. I promise, the career physicists and astronomers who are observing and commenting on this know how variable stars usually behave.

The article says it's a variable star ... and it went dim ... er ... I kinda thought that's what the "variable" in variable star means ... meh ... slow news day or something ...
No. It didn't "go dim", it went black. I promise, the career physicists and astronomers who are observing and commenting on this know how variable stars usually behave.

The article itself brought up dust ... and how little we understand super-massive blue giant variable stars ... but they were interviewing career astrophysicists ... who do indeed use the word "dim" to mean "no longer observed" ... unless you honestly believe the star did go black a trillion years before anyone was expecting anything in the universe to do so ...

This is unusual behavior ... I thought that was clear in the article ...

The article itself brought up dust
Yes, because they are looking for an explanation, as "variable star" doesn't cut it.
unless you honest believe the star did go black a trillion years before anyone was expecting anything in the universe to do so ...
I am not sure. Neither are they. But they do admit that such a thing may have happened for reasons they do not understand.

yes it is unusual, as large stars aren't known to just go black.

Science is taught to children as if it is fact, but so much in science is uncertain and subject to constant change.

For example, when I was a child they taught us dinosaurs were reptiles.

Now, they teach children dinosaurs are the ancestors of birds.

Pluto was a planet, they taught us when I was a child.

Now, Pluto is not a planet.

There was a museum where they had a dinosaur skeleton set up.

A new bone was found and the scientists realize they had made an error, and the bones were re-arranged.

Global warming, we are told, is science, and yet, if you disagree that it is caused by humans, you are treated like a heretic.

Evolution is a theory, but if you question it, that makes you a religious fanatic.

For example, when I was a child they taught us dinosaurs were reptiles.
They are.

Now, they teach children dinosaurs are the ancestors of birds.
They are.

Pluto was a planet, they taught us when I was a child.

Now, Pluto is not a planet.
Which had nothing to do with learning anything new. It's just a label.

Global warming, we are told, is science, and yet, if you disagree that it is caused by humans, you are treated like a heretic.
No, you are just treated as someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

Evolution is a theory, but if you question it, that makes you a religious fanatic.
No. Scientists question and test this theory every single day. What you are doing is not "questioning", it is doubting and denying. A person who questions actually seeks answers. And they are willing to accept good answers. You are not. So do not confuse your irrational denial with skepticism.

New Topics

Forum List

Back