Martin Luther King: The Angry Asian??...

Growing up in the 60s in Southern California I always had friends that were all races. My father was a boy scout leader and our troop had about every ethnic group represented and we all shared everything. I didn't know what racism was about until I joined the Air Force and was stationed in South Carolina in '65-'67. What a wake-up call even for a white guy from California. My black friends and I could do nothing together off base. Martin Luther King was much respected by me and I don't think the sculpture does him justice. For AMERICAN MONUMENTS only AMERICAN and in this case BLACK AMERICAN artist should have been considered.
You must have missed the Watts And L.A Roits

I was 18 in '65 when the Watts Riots took place and at the time it didn't seem like a race riot as much as poor people rioting. I don't recall whites being beaten or targeted. I seem to remember a white face or two in the crowds looting stores. I had to make a delivery to a business just a couple of blocks from the rioting at the time and at no time did I feel threatened by anyone I came in contact with. It just seemed like a poverty rebellion. Maybe I'm wrong, It's a 50yr old memory. I lived about 20 miles south of the rioting and it didn't seem to involve anyone I knew, black or white.

I appreciate your objective posts. :thup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FY0be8yzY&feature=related]The Watts Riots - YouTube[/ame]

Statue is an embarrasment. If MLK was alive, his reaction would be, "Yikes, my likeness was outsourced!".

Yes it was outsourced and the Chinese Artist tried to present him as an angry Mao-like Revolutionary zealot. He of course wasn't about that at all. He preached Peace,Love,and Unity. This statue should be ordered torn down immediately. It's a sad disgrace.

Got yourself a little agenda going there? How many times do you want to repeat that?

Growing up in the 60s in Southern California I always had friends that were all races. My father was a boy scout leader and our troop had about every ethnic group represented and we all shared everything. I didn't know what racism was about until I joined the Air Force and was stationed in South Carolina in '65-'67. What a wake-up call even for a white guy from California. My black friends and I could do nothing together off base. Martin Luther King was much respected by me and I don't think the sculpture does him justice. For AMERICAN MONUMENTS only AMERICAN and in this case BLACK AMERICAN artist should have been considered.

Surprise! YOU are a racist!

condiwashingtonmonument.jpg

Condolezza Rice Washington Monument Photoshop :-D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hUbhMHqHoM"]Condoleezza Rice: From the Mountain Top to the Promised Land. - YouTube[/ame]

Condoleezza Rice: From the Mountain Top to the Promised Land. (YouTube)

Video quotes. Music is "Africa" by Toto.

Condoleezza Rice said:
It's really wonderful for the United States. Obviously the election of, now, President Obama was a giant leap in that direction and I think it said something to the world that America is, in fact, what it claims to be. It's a place where circumstances matter less; where you came from doesn't determine where you're going.

I think it showed that we have had this painful, painful history with race going back to the original birth defect of slavery and yet, step by step, little by little, we've overcome it to have first, black secretaries of state and black C.E.O.s of major Fortune 100 companies ... and now all the way to an African American as President of the United States.

It's quite a journey and I always found that when I went around the world it was important to put this into context for people that if you are striving to build democracy in places that are tough or where there hasn't be democracy before, it's always a work in progress. It isn't ever full-blown; it isn't ever something that you stop working at.

Condoleezza Rice said:
We didn't just focus on the threat of 9/11 but also tried to look to deal with root causes so the international compassion agenda which had to do with doubling foreign assistance for Latin America, quadrupling foreign assistance in Africa, tripling it world wide. The President's emergency AIDS relief programme, the Malaria initiative, girls' education.

These were elements of a foreign policy agenda that while not directly responsive to 9/11 were responsive to the idea that you had to make a better world that failed states, hopelessness among people were among the causes of what happened to us and so I am pleased that we were able to do that.

I have a feeling sometimes when I look back over the headlines that it was a bit swamped by 9/11.

Condoleezza Rice said:
We know we have to deal with the world as it is but we do not have to accept the world as it is.

Imagine where we be today if the brave founders of French liberty or of American liberty had simply been content with the world as it was.

They knew that history does not just happen; it is made. History is made by men and women of conviction of commitment and of courage who will not let their dreams be denied.

610x.jpg

WASHINGTON - JANUARY 12, 2009: U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks during a news conference at the Department of State January 12, 2009 in Washington, DC. Rice attended the news conference of the release of 'The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief 2009.'

Rice for President Yahoo Group

"Condoleezza Rice for President in 2012. Join this group of supporters from everywhere on the world wide web."

rice-for-president : Rice for President

All Peter Dow's Condi videos
DrCondiRice's Channel - YouTube

Chinese sculptor Lei Yixin is the creator of the monumental tribute to Martin Luther King and many are very unhappy with his finished product. The statue portrays Martin Luther King in a very angry Asian/Mao Tse Tung-like pose and facial expression. Obviously Mr. Yixin is a big fan of Mao Tse Tung and Marxism. He was clearly the wrong choice to create this memorial tribute. The statue does not capture the true essence of Martin Luther King in any way. It's very sad.

You ought to look at the China connection as an opportunity ... :eusa_drool:

chairwomanrice.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpfV7PCOrs]Condoleezza Rice: China in Condi's hand. - YouTube[/ame]
Condoleezza Rice: China in Condi's hand. (YouTube)

Forum List

Back