Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz say they control Kevin McCarthy in new interview

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
In newly released interviews with Time Magazine, Republican Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene gloated that they have control over California Rep. and House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy.

If Republicans take back the House in this year’s midterm elections — as political analysts expect — Gaetz, Greene and other members of the so-called "MAGA Squad" could have undue influence in who becomes the next speaker. This, Gaetz and Greene said in the Time article, means McCarthy needs to curry favor with them if he hopes to become speaker.

“Greene is forthright about the fact that she expects to have some leverage over McCarthy if he seeks the Speakership, and she intends to make the most of it,” the author of that article, Molly Ball, wrote. “Whoever wants to be the next speaker, Greene tells me, is going to have to earn her backing—and that of her allies.”

Gaetz said McCarthy’s subservience to him was apparent in two separate instances that occurred earlier this year. The first was when McCarthy told the rest of the Republican caucus he would call Gaetz and admonish him for repeatedly assailing Rep. Liz Cheney after the Jan. 6 Capitol riots.

“Gaetz tells me that McCarthy did subsequently call him, but the conversation went rather differently,” Ball wrote. “The interaction, Gaetz says, felt more like a box-checking exercise than a tongue-lashing.”

This is what politics have been reduced to in this country.

We knew McCarthy was weak when he ran to Mar La Go and kissed Trump's ass.

I don't mind the tone of your post. Nearly entirely fact-free, but full of invective. Standard for message boards.

But you should try to be a little honest in your subject line. "expects to have some leverage" =/= control.

In newly released interviews with Time Magazine, Republican Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene gloated that they have control over California Rep. and House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy.

If Republicans take back the House in this year’s midterm elections — as political analysts expect — Gaetz, Greene and other members of the so-called "MAGA Squad" could have undue influence in who becomes the next speaker. This, Gaetz and Greene said in the Time article, means McCarthy needs to curry favor with them if he hopes to become speaker.

“Greene is forthright about the fact that she expects to have some leverage over McCarthy if he seeks the Speakership, and she intends to make the most of it,” the author of that article, Molly Ball, wrote. “Whoever wants to be the next speaker, Greene tells me, is going to have to earn her backing—and that of her allies.”

Gaetz said McCarthy’s subservience to him was apparent in two separate instances that occurred earlier this year. The first was when McCarthy told the rest of the Republican caucus he would call Gaetz and admonish him for repeatedly assailing Rep. Liz Cheney after the Jan. 6 Capitol riots.

“Gaetz tells me that McCarthy did subsequently call him, but the conversation went rather differently,” Ball wrote. “The interaction, Gaetz says, felt more like a box-checking exercise than a tongue-lashing.”

Did Gaetz traffic young girls to McCarthy?

Yea because McCarthy has proven he is a Strong Leader and he is nobody's man.
Anyone who is an elected official elected by elected officials will be many people's man, no matter what letter is after their name or what color they are.

My point is that Gaetz did not say "subservient" speaking of McCarthy's relationship to himself. That's an absurd idea, and I'm sorry to see that you fell for it.

AWESOME, that’s great news. The GOP desperately needs about 500 more Boebert, MTG, Gaetz types in politics.

Its a bit chilling isnt it. There must be a threat to democracy when one of the main parties does not believe in democracy.
Time for a new centre right party in the US. based around Team Normal.

Anyone who is an elected official elected by elected officials will be many people's man, no matter what letter is after their name or what color they are.

My point is that Gaetz did not say "subservient" speaking of McCarthy's relationship to himself. That's an absurd idea, and I'm sorry to see that you fell for it.
Gaetz said McCarthy’s subservience to him was apparent

What does "said" mean?

Gaetz said McCarthy’s subservience to him was apparent in two separate instances that occurred earlier this year.
do you have a quote from him saying that? your OP has a title, which is similar to rhe MSDNC title in your link but nobody has Quite form him actually saying that

Forum List

Back