Marijuana legalization?

bkeating

breating
Dec 31, 2013
New York
If someone is proposing a new law, at least think it through and make it thorough and specific enough. Also, make it so that the less fortunate in the intellectual department can understand it to avoid the uneducated voter. Legalizing marijuana sends messages to America's youth that drugs are in fact, okay. In Colorado it is becoming a big issue when it comes to the recreational use of marijuana; kids are brining it to school (more so than before) and that causes a problem for school districts. While I understand the tax benefits that this may provide, I do think that there are other, more effective ways of doing so; why marijuana? Marijuana is a drug, plain and simple and to make it legal is sending a subliminal message to the youth that drugs are in fact, okay. Now what is stopping the youth from being scared of other drugs, like Math for example. "Hey, marijuana is legal, depicted as bad before, I like the high, so ill stick a needle in my arm, it'll be legal one day!" The mentality of the youth is going to be extremely corrupt because of the very stupid and irresponsible decisions we as "role models" are making today. I think that marijuana should remain ILLEGAL, however I do believe that it should be extremely decriminalized so that people who DO use it, and caught, that their lives aren't ruined because of a little bit of "pot." Now on a different scale, I do believe that marijuana is in fact a safe drug, don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is legalization of such sends a bad message to our youth; not to mention it IS a gateway drug.

Thoughts?

If someone is proposing a new law, at least think it through and make it thorough and specific enough. Also, make it so that the less fortunate in the intellectual department can understand it to avoid the uneducated voter. Legalizing marijuana sends messages to America's youth that drugs are in fact, okay. In Colorado it is becoming a big issue when it comes to the recreational use of marijuana; kids are brining it to school (more so than before) and that causes a problem for school districts. While I understand the tax benefits that this may provide, I do think that there are other, more effective ways of doing so; why marijuana? Marijuana is a drug, plain and simple and to make it legal is sending a subliminal message to the youth that drugs are in fact, okay. Now what is stopping the youth from being scared of other drugs, like Math for example. "Hey, marijuana is legal, depicted as bad before, I like the high, so ill stick a needle in my arm, it'll be legal one day!" The mentality of the youth is going to be extremely corrupt because of the very stupid and irresponsible decisions we as "role models" are making today. I think that marijuana should remain ILLEGAL, however I do believe that it should be extremely decriminalized so that people who DO use it, and caught, that their lives aren't ruined because of a little bit of "pot." Now on a different scale, I do believe that marijuana is in fact a safe drug, don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is legalization of such sends a bad message to our youth; not to mention it IS a gateway drug.

Thoughts?

Let's see alcohol is a very harmful drug deemed to be OK, so is tobacco.

All we are doing is engaging in a hypocritical battle against other drugs that we capriciously deem unacceptable.

We have wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives on a so called war on drugs that has not worked.

So tell me is letting people who already smoke pot do it legally going to make any difference good or bad?

Yes it will. It will save us billions of dollars and thousands more lives. A mere fraction of the money saved would allow us to offer drug addicts treatment instead of prison time.

Thoughts?

Let's see alcohol is a very harmful drug deemed to be OK, so is tobacco.

All we are doing is engaging in a hypocritical battle against other drugs that we capriciously deem unacceptable.

We have wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives on a so called war on drugs that has not worked.

So tell me is letting people who already smoke pot do it legally going to make any difference good or bad?

Yes it will. It will save us billions of dollars and thousands more lives. A mere fraction of the money saved would allow us to offer drug addicts treatment instead of prison time.

I agree with your statement that we are wasting money on the war on drugs, is a fact. However, I do think that alcohol and cigarettes (or tobacco products in general) are already dug too deep in our society to make any drastic laws upon them. All I'm saying is that if you implement a new law that allows the legalization of a drug (as harmless as it may be, or perceived to be, because research on marijuana has been rejected and refused time and time again, so no one really KNOWS if its good or bad) it does send a bad message to the youth, and honestly, who knows where this country would be if marijuana was legalized throughout United States. My personal hypothesis of that is that it will not be good, mainly because of the youth. It is inevitable that the upcoming generations make up, or will make up America's economy for the most part; and by allowing marijuana to be legal I can see them getting unmotivated to do anything, including a career and earning money. I do see the tax benefits (even though that isn't a huge deal) and I do see your point that you WOULD save billions of dollars. Also, marijuana is not the only drug in the war obviously, so what happens with those drugs? legalize them too? No, I say keep them illegal. If you make marijuana legal, it WILL spark curiosity in other drugs, human nature, you want what you cent have. Now, on another note, what about all of the new drugs that are coming out? Some unknown, some known, and the ones that are known are awful for you.

However, as far as thousands of lives go, I think its time that people commit to a change on the war on drugs. It is ridiculous that it is happening, STILL, and the amount of money we spend is gross, it really is time to have priorities, like come on America.

It's not the government's job to protect me from myself.

It's not the government's job to protect me from you.

But....

Is it the government's job to protect YOU from ME?

This will come down to people only allowing into their lives what they choose to be there to a much greater degree than they do now. Look for much more discrimination as non addicts reject addicts.

Legalize marjuana qnd you'll think The Walking Dead is a documentary.

Anyone who wants to smoke pot already does.

Anyone who wants to snort coke already does

We waste billions of dollars fighting a so called war on drugs for nothing.

It's not the government's job to protect me from you.

But....

Is it the government's job to protect YOU from ME?

This will come down to people only allowing into their lives what they choose to be there to a much greater degree than they do now. Look for much more discrimination as non addicts reject addicts.

We could take a fraction of the billions of dollars saved and offer rehabilitation to addicts instead of prison time.

And really addicts are already stigmatized I don't think that will change no matter what.

I usually don't look to Europe for inspiration but I think Portugal has done a great job by decriminalizing drug use.

The resulting effect: a drastic reduction in addicts, with Portuguese officials and reports highlighting that this number, at 100,000 before the new policy was enacted, has been halved in the following ten years. Portugal's drug usage rates are now among the lowest of EU member states, according to the same report.

One more outcome: a lot less sick people. Drug related diseases including STDs and overdoses have been reduced even more than usage rates, which experts believe is the result of the government offering treatment with no threat of legal ramifications to addicts.

Read more: Portugal Drug Policy: Decriminalization Works - Business Insider

They used the money they would have spent on drug enforcement on rehabilitation instead and it seems to be working. I just think the "war on drugs" is a phenomenal waste of money.

I see them every day. Don't need a book or a movie. I just look out the front door.

Well, thank God MJ prohibition is a smashing success, right?

Marijuana is a beneficial plant in the family of plants that can make just about anything better. Dumbass qu33rs generally have a fear of pot and associate it with coke or hard alcohol. In this day and age, dumbasses also believe the mythology of the Bible which is based on foreskin snipping to be friends with Yahweh and being a eunuch to be friend of Jesus so we can't expect miracles in terms of rational intelligence!

Last edited:
Even medical marijuana was a boon to the drug cartels who just took over the medical marijuana pot shops and sold their own supply.

I don't see the great harm in MJ but I still don't believe it should be legal. Maybe decriminalized, but not legal.

Write somebody a ticket for possession and make them pay a fine. Stop the jail time silliness.

I don't see the great harm in MJ but I still don't believe it should be legal. Maybe decriminalized, but not legal.

Write somebody a ticket for possession and make them pay a fine. Stop the jail time silliness.

ok so now its "decriminalized"......what about buying it?.....still illegal?.....

ok so now its "decriminalized"......what about buying it?.....still illegal?.....

Oh hell, I dunno. I haven't spent any time fretting over pot legalities. I don't smoke pot. Ok, I have, I mean, I went to college. :lol:

I'm probably saying keep everything illegal but just reduce penalties.

Now that it's legal, mark my words, sometime in the near future there will be a call from liberals for the government to help low income people pay for their pot.

New Topics

Forum List

Back