Zone1 Many Protestants think anyone who does not leave the Catholic Church is eternally damned!

I think plenty of people abstain from
fornication
adultery
abortion
adult murder
child molestation
masturbation
grand theft
treason

etc.... etc.. it's possible.
”Etc…etc” Therein lies the problem.

According to the article in the link below wearing short shorts is a mortal sin and so is missing Sunday Mass without good reason and/or unnecessary work on Sunday.

It also seems a lot of Catholics don’t take mortal sin all that seriously. Many democrats are Catholic but are pro abortion. Nancy Pelosi is one.

The research I did showed there are more mortal sins than what you suggest.
It was not meant for you to conclude murder is the only mortal sin, which is why I included the three parts of a mortal sin! Let's take atheism as an example.

First, one has to have been a practicing Catholic who is completely rejecting his previous beliefs.
That person is cognizant that this is an act against God.
S/he separates with God knowing s/he is choosing--and may be in danger of--eternal separation.

Or, one may hold true recognition, they never had any belief in God. To be true to themselves (and to God should there be one) they bring that truth into the light. They are still determined to live a good life, become a good person. Should there be a God, they feel more comfortable standing before Him in truth rather than in pretense. This is not a mortal sin. In fact, Paul in one of his letters notes that those who have no belief, instead of being judged in the light of the love and mercy of Christ, will be judged by their own hearts--and one's own heart can be, by far, the less forgiving judge.

To sum up: When it comes to mortal sin, intent matters. A lot.

”Etc…etc” Therein lies the problem.

According to the article in the link below wearing short shorts is a mortal sin and so is missing Sunday Mass without good reason and/or unnecessary work on Sunday.

It also seems a lot of Catholics don’t take mortal sin all that seriously. Many democrats are Catholic but are pro abortion. Nancy Pelosi is one.

pelosi is a liar and not just about being Catholic

and it IS a mortal sin to wear sexually-arousing (or potentially so) clothes to Mass or anywhere else.

and it IS a mortal sin to wear sexually-arousing (or potentially so) clothes to Mass or anywhere else.
I see your point but I wonder how many women confess the mortal sin of wearing short shorts or a bikini to their priest at confession.

Since I am not a Catholic does the Priest have the person say a number of Hail Marys As punishment for mortal sins?

I think much of the the problem with the Catholic Church is Catholics.

Most Protestants realize the Catholic Church does not condone abortion and then they see Catholics like Pelosi who support it.

At least her Archbishop stopped Pelosi from receiving Holy Communion in his archdiocese. Kudos to Archbishop Cordileone.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may no longer receive Holy Communion in her home archdiocese of San Francisco after publicly supporting abortion as a Catholic politician. The Catholic Church considers abortion — the destruction of a human person — a grave evil.

The archbishop of San Francisco, Archbishop Salvatore J. Cordileone, announced his decision Friday after spending months trying to contact and meet with the California Democrat. His decision, he says, is a pastoral one and not a political one.

Over the years, Pelosi has defended abortion while citing her Catholic faith. Here are 10 examples.

Most Catholics in the U.S. are "cafeteria" Catholics. They accept most of the teachings but reject or ignore others. The most obvious example is artificial birth control. It is condemned by the Catholic Church, but most Catholic couples use one form of ABC or another and don't give it a second thought.

I personally believe that the Church is simply wrong on that issue.

Keep in mind that the only teachings of a Pope that are Catholic Dogma are pronouncements that are formally ex cathedra (from the seat of Peter). That has not happened in more than a hundred years (Immaculate Conception, 1854).

While it is easy to look back through history and find things that the Catholic Church has taught and done seemed to be off base, most of these (not all, certainly) are gross exaggerations and distortions. For example, Galileo was not excommunicated for teaching that the sun was the center of the solar system. I'll leave it at that. The Church is the only institution that can credibly claim origins with Christ and the Apostles. Protestantism itself is absurd. You can't have every preacher in the land reading the Bible independently and deciding what it means. The Holy Ghost promised to guide his church; s/he can't be guiding it in different directions on fundamental matters.

I see your point but I wonder how many women confess the mortal sin of wearing short shorts or a bikini to their priest at confession.

Since I am not a Catholic does the Priest have the person say a number of Hail Marys As punishment for mortal sins?
all priests are different but a lot o them say to do such

I like priests who tend to tailor an act of penance to the person's personal situation/sin but most don't seem to be creative like that .. This is btw one of the things that would make me dislike the NO Church if nothing else: very rude and sometimes totally uncaring priests. you can tell they don't care about you when they yell at you in the confessional or argue with you or whatever.. I don't go very often. I would like to.. I will go to a SSPX.. had a very good confession with a SSPX priest about 8 months ago.. there were no weird glitches..

Most Catholics in the U.S. are "cafeteria" Catholics. They accept most of the teachings but reject or ignore others. The most obvious example is artificial birth control. It is condemned by the Catholic Church, but most Catholic couples use one form of ABC or another and don't give it a second thought.

I personally believe that the Church is simply wrong on that issue.

Keep in mind that the only teachings of a Pope that are Catholic Dogma are pronouncements that are formally ex cathedra (from the seat of Peter). That has not happened in more than a hundred years (Immaculate Conception, 1854).

While it is easy to look back through history and find things that the Catholic Church has taught and done seemed to be off base, most of these (not all, certainly) are gross exaggerations and distortions. For example, Galileo was not excommunicated for teaching that the sun was the center of the solar system. I'll leave it at that. The Church is the only institution that can credibly claim origins with Christ and the Apostles. Protestantism itself is absurd. You can't have every preacher in the land reading the Bible independently and deciding what it means. The Holy Ghost promised to guide his church; s/he can't be guiding it in different directions on fundamental matters.
yes, but at the risk of making you angry.. I say you are doing what you preach against..

You say you disagree w/ the Church on contraception

Then later you criticize protestants for all interpreting the Bible in different ways.

the Church is absolutely correct on contraception.

Of course, Vatican II messed up everything.. and basically sent the message that Catholics could be like Protestants.. make up their own beliefs, essentially.. and so they did.. As one clergyman put it once: The church went from being one that led men to God to one that allowed men to be God or something to that effect. It was The Cult of Man over the Religion of God..

Have you ever read books by (or about) Marcel Lefebvre.. The NO Church doesn't want you to read them (is my take.. and why would they? They don't need any more people leaving..)

all priests are different but a lot o them say to do such

I like priests who tend to tailor an act of penance to the person's personal situation/sin but most don't seem to be creative like that .. This is btw one of the things that would make me dislike the NO Church if nothing else: very rude and sometimes totally uncaring priests. you can tell they don't care about you when they yell at you in the confessional or argue with you or whatever.. I don't go very often. I would like to.. I will go to a SSPX.. had a very good confession with a SSPX priest about 8 months ago.. there were no weird glitches..
Interesting. I can see some value in confessing your sins to a priest. Obviously, as you say, much depends on the priest.

Interesting. I can see some value in confessing your sins to a priest. Obviously, as you say, much depends on the priest.
well, I don't know about "much"

Just bc he is uncaring does not mean you are not sacramentally absolved of your sin.. It's just that it is very distracting when you have a priest.. who.. frankly does not seem to care about people..

maybe he chose the wrong "line of work"?

Anyway, Jesus did give the power to forgive sins to man.. I don't think all men can forgive sacramentally. That is 4 the priest to do.. but in any case.. It is not really the priest who forgives but Jesus working through him

Many Protestants think anyone who does not leave the Catholic Church is eternally damned!

This always sounded SO (and IS) presumptuous! I mean, yeh, you are going to judge a whole (huge) group of people all at once, condemn them all to Hell just because they are Catholic? A Catholic could work at a soup kitchen, be faithful to his wife for 50 years, be a loving father, pay all his taxes... etc... etc but just because he is Catholic, he is toast in the end?

Well, it's no wonder a lot of Catholics do not want to leave the Church to join a so-called church that teaches THAT, even if they are disgruntled at the CC! No, no big surprise there.
A lot of Protestants believe in sola scriptura, meaning the Bible alone is the rule of faith, the only thing to turn to when you need help understanding God.

But they go against the Bible ALL THE TIME.

Jesus himself contradicts this notion many of them have that Catholics all go to Hell.

But I said unto you, that you also have seen Me, and you believe not. [37]

All that the Father giveth to Me shall come to me;
and him that cometh to Me, I will not cast out.

Great news for all sinners, even .. OMG.. Catholics

(It is people who call themselves Catholic but who support abortion who are separated from Christ and in eternal jeopardy ["No murderer has eternal life"-Peter, I believe].. You do have to do one thing, Catholic, Protestant or Other: you have to DO what He says.. )
The very word Protestant is generated by a rejection of Catholic Dogma. THE RCC is what the people were protesting and its doctrine of declaring Tradition as established by Decree from man as being superior to the written word revealed by the Holy Spirit of God. Why should not a Christian call evil .....evil and good.......good? The Christ had no problem with condemning Tradition over the Written Law. (Matthew 23)

Last edited:
I dunno the answer to a lot of afterlife questions

What I can say, though, is

WHEW!

I'm sure glad no one here at the Religion forum is going to Judge Yours Truly!

doomed doesn't begin to say it

I dunno the answer to a lot of afterlife questions

What I can say, though, is

WHEW!

I'm sure glad no one here at the Religion forum is going to Judge Yours Truly!

doomed doesn't begin to say it
Yours truly will be judged just as everyone else will be judged, The words spoken by Jesus Christ and recorded in THE BOOKS (John 12:48) The choice is not yours to make.........God does not need you, you need God (Acts 17:25)

Everyone one, both the Quick and the Dead (2 Tim. 4:1) at the returning of Christ Jesus and His kingdom will be Judged by The Books.......one is the Book of Life the other the inspired words of Jesus Christ, The inspired N.T. The quick or the living will meet Jesus in the air with the human bodies being transformed in the "twinkling of an eye" into incorruptible beings (I Cor. 15:52).........Hades (the abode of the dead awaiting the final judgement) will give up its dead.....and all will be judged by the Books that have revealed God's truth as compared to the Book by which your life is measured against that which is written, The Book of Life (Rev. 20:13)

Forum List

Back