Many paths...one God?

" Not all who wander are lost. " Just wanted to tell you, what a beautiful thought that is and how true it is. Have a great day and a great life. I plan on it, hope you do too.
I do, and I am having a great life. Wishing the same right back to you. :)

the 1st century was not about those who have control over their own lives ... The Jews were dominated by so many play became discouaged but complacent with it, well at least most of the Jews. There were those who took up the sword against the Romans, many martyrs. Their version of a messiah was a strong warrior that would leave them out of bondage. He never came for them.

Yep. But one proved it.
Matthew 27:63
Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Then, He did.
Mohammad said he's come back, and when he didn't, Muslims proclaimed he came back in spirit.

God proved who He was to the Jews through His prophets. They told the future. And did it with 100% accuracy. No man can do that. That is one of many ways we know that the Bible was authored by God, and penned by man. The many codes embedded in the Bible is another.
God verified His authority in the New Testament through Christ. Christ was the very first person on earth to break through the barrier of death.
And again, prophecy. Revelation is being fulfilled at break neck speed.
If you believe that story.

And the Jews don't think Jesus was the messiah, neither do the Muslims.

So if there was just one god and he wants to be worshiped in a particular way why not just tell everyone the same thing?

This is why I think gods and religion are human inventions.

There are just too many differences

Are you absolutely certain of this, or is it your own conclusion? As I just laid out, there can be other conclusions--equally as valid.
It makes more sense than a god telling different people that he wants different things.

If you believe that story.

And the Jews don't think Jesus was the messiah, neither do the Muslims.

So if there was just one god and he wants to be worshiped in a particular way why not just tell everyone the same thing?

This is why I think gods and religion are human inventions.

There are just too many differences

But there are commonalities too. I think each religion is a language that attempts to make sense of something we can't fully understand.

I'm gonna take a whack at this one. Number one, I got no idea what God wants me to do, I'm kinda making it all up as I go, day by day. I believe we each have free will to believe what we want to or believe to be right and true, but that doesn't mean it is or isn't. My current belief system is my decision, as is the case with every other person on Earth. I can't see any sense in God wanting people to believe and follow different religions, where's the logic in that? IMHO, God has not been all that forthcoming about what religion to follow, so all I can see is that it's up to each of us to make that call ourselves. What I do not believe is that anyone who makes the wrong decision will be roasted in hell for an eternity.
If the Bible, or the Torah, or the Koran were the actual words of a god as these religions claim then why are they different?

These books are said to be the instruction of the one god but they don't all say the same thing.

In my experience religions people don't like to think they are left in the dark to figure it out.

I find it a difficult pill to swallow that a god has taken a personal interest in every single person that has lived and died on earth.

I don't believe in heaven or hell. IMO those are not too different than scaring kids to be obedient because the boogie man will get them if they don't.

But there are commonalities too. I think each religion is a language that attempts to make sense of something we can't fully understand.
That still doesn't account for the differences in the actual word of the one god.

The god of the bible is supposed to be omnipotent. Why is it so difficult for an omnipotent god to tell everyone the way he wants them to worship?

And that brings up another question. Why does a god need to be worshiped at all?

If the Bible, or the Torah, or the Koran were the actual words of a god as these religions claim then why are they different?

These books are said to be the instruction of the one god but they don't all say the same thing.

In my experience religions people don't like to think they are left in the dark to figure it out.

I find it a difficult pill to swallow that a god has taken a personal interest in every single person that has lived and died on earth.

I don't believe in heaven or hell. IMO those are not too different than scaring kids to be obedient because the boogie man will get them if they don't.

Amazing that you have it all figured out then

Any middle school science student will tell you that it is nearly impossible to control all the variables even in simple lab experiments. Any teacher will tell you understanding comes in various ways at various times. Teachers will also advise you students often misunderstand the concept being presented.

Are you agnostic based on what someone told you? Or, did you come by agnosticism through a number of things?

If your answer is, "A number of things", then understand the same is true for most people of faith--any faith.

People most likely come by atheism, agnosticism, and faith based on the many different variables within themselves as a unique person with unique experiences--and desires. I think deep down people know what they want to be--atheist, agnostic, believer--and pick up data and experiences that support their own interest.
But we're speaking of an omnipotent god who can create entire universes not some lab experiment.

If the omnipotent god wanted people to follow his word and worship him it should be an easy thing to give everyone the same instructions

Any middle school science student will tell you that it is nearly impossible to control all the variables even in simple lab experiments. Any teacher will tell you understanding comes in various ways at various times. Teachers will also advise you students often misunderstand the concept being presented.

Are you agnostic based on what someone told you? Or, did you come by agnosticism through a number of things?

If your answer is, "A number of things", then understand the same is true for most people of faith--any faith.

People most likely come by atheism, agnosticism, and faith based on the many different variables within themselves as a unique person with unique experiences--and desires. I think deep down people know what they want to be--atheist, agnostic, believer--and pick up data and experiences that support their own interest.
All agnosticism states is there is not enough evidence to state that gods do or don't exist.

There very well may be a god or gods but I don't think those gods have anything to do with the religions people on earth subscribe to.

But we're speaking of an omnipotent god who can create entire universes not some lab experiment.

If the omnipotent god wanted people to follow his word and worship him it should be an easy thing to give everyone the same instructions

He gave us free will. Free will people will make up their own religions. ETA: even false religions having nothing to do with God. He knew this. See, Commandment One--false idols

He gave us free will. Free will people will make up their own religions. ETA: even false religions having nothing to do with God. He knew this. See, Commandment One--false idols
Right, to worship or not but why are the books that are supposed to be the very words of the one god different?

And you are assuming the bible you use is the correct one. You may very well be wrong.

Either these books were authored by the one god or they were authored by men. There can be no other choices.

This is a good thread. I have waatched a bunch of talks between christians and people of other faiths. They all seem to agree on values, society, relationships, etc. Only differ in ceremonies and traditions, who they pray to, and what they do to show they are subservant to God. The worshipping

Right, to worship or not but why are the books that are supposed to be the very words of the one god different?

And you are assuming the bible you use is the correct one. You may very well be wrong.

Either these books were authored by the one god or they were authored by men. There can be no other choices.

So wait, when you go to the shampoo aisle and every bottle claims to make your hair full and thick and luxurious, you say none of these can be true because they all claim to be true? Or one can be true but no others?

That's odd

Or wait--do you have other means of investigating claims?

Also why can it not be true that One book was authored by the one God, and others are false religions? Why can there be "no other choices"? Who said?

This is a good thread. I have waatched a bunch of talks between christians and people of other faiths. They all seem to agree on values, society, relationships, etc. Only differ in ceremonies and traditions, who they pray to, and what they do to show they are subservant to God. The worshipping
The things people agree on are the most acceptable behaviors to society.

I don't think that these things were dictated to people by gods but rather cam about via the very messy processes of human and societal evolution.

So wait, when you go to the shampoo aisle and every bottle claims to make your hair full and thick and luxurious, you say none of these can be true because they all claim to be true? Or one can be true but no others?

That's odd

Or wait--do you have other means of investigating claims?
So all the various religious books that are the word of the one god are nothing but advertisements? Haven't we all learned that advertising and truth are antithetical?

The thing is there is no way to investigate the claims in any religious texts.

So all the various religious books that are the word of the one god are nothing but advertisements? Haven't we all learned that advertising and truth are antithetical?

The thing is there is no way to investigate the claims in any religious texts.

So you have never bought any product that performed as good or better than advertised? All advertising is false?

New Topics

Forum List

Back