Manchurian Candidate - 1962

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
A captured Korean War Vet. is brainwashed into a Russian controlled assassin. Hollywood was afraid to make the movie for fear of angering the Russians but Frank Sinatra prevailed on his playboy buddy JFK to pave the way for the production which was released around November 1962. A year later to the month a Russian controlled assassin would be in a book depository in Dallas Tx. waiting for JFK to drive by.

A captured Korean War Vet. is brainwashed into a Russian controlled assassin. Hollywood was afraid to make the movie for fear of angering the Russians but Frank Sinatra prevailed on his playboy buddy JFK to pave the way for the production which was released around November 1962. A year later to the month a Russian controlled assassin would be in a book depository in Dallas Tx. waiting for JFK to drive by.

Wasn't a bad movie. Even the remake was good, maybe even better from what I remember.

Manchurian Candidate was on this evening on Turner Classic Movies.
I wasn't aware of the pressure by Frank Sinatra and the effort by JFK to get the movie made until Ben Mankowitz gave a little talk after the movie was over and noted the Sinatra- JFK relationship that got the movie approved. The assassin in the book depository was my own opinion.

Forum List

Back