Manchin warns Democrats: Hit 'pause' on Biden's $3.5T plan

Who is out to destroy President Biden's agenda? Answer: Democrats.

At least two Senate Democrats oppose the $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation package, and House Progressives have said they will kill the popular bipartisan infrastructure bill that easily passed in the Senate.

Roll Call explains. "Democrats should “hit the pause button” on their still-developing $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, according to one of the party’s key swing votes, West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin III.

"He cited the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the initial economic recovery that led to inflation spikes, and the recent U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan as reasons to hold off on spending another $3.5 trillion when the national debt is already approaching $29 trillion."

Manchin could add the billions of dollars in damages in the South and Northeast caused by category 4 Hurricane Ida. Unlike past hurricanes, Ida didn't lose her punch once she made landfall.

“We’re running out of tools for the toolbox if we get hit. … There’s an awful lot of things we need to be considering,” Manchin said at the chamber summit, accusing his fellow Democrats of “basically being shortsighted right now” with their plans to pass a $3.5 trillion partisan spending bill."

“I would ask my colleagues and all of the Senate to hit the pause button on the $3.5 [trillion],” he added. “Let’s sit back. Let’s see what happens. We’ve got so much on our plate. … That would be the prudent, wise thing to do.”

The Senator appears to have a point. It seems reasonable.

But not to progressives in the House.

"Manchin’s call for a pause is likely to further exacerbate intraparty tensions between moderates like him, concerned about the size of the reconciliation bill, and progressives who want to spend more," Roll Call.

Roll Call
continues, "House progressives have sought to pressure Democratic moderates like Manchin and Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who also opposes spending $3.5 trillion, by threatening to oppose the [popular, badly needed] bipartisan infrastructure bill they helped negotiate. Progressives have said they’ll only support the infrastructure bill if the Senate passes a “robust” reconciliation bill that fulfills their priorities on climate, health care, affordable housing, child care, immigration and more.

Biden badly needs a win, but it appears the Democrats don't want to give it to him. I suppose they prefer a Republican President in 2024.

Who is out to destroy President Biden's agenda? Answer: Democrats.

At least two Senate Democrats oppose the $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation package, and House Progressives have said they will kill the popular bipartisan infrastructure bill that easily passed in the Senate.

Roll Call explains. "Democrats should “hit the pause button” on their still-developing $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, according to one of the party’s key swing votes, West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin III.

"He cited the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the initial economic recovery that led to inflation spikes, and the recent U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan as reasons to hold off on spending another $3.5 trillion when the national debt is already approaching $29 trillion."

Manchin could add the billions of dollars in damages in the South and Northeast caused by category 4 Hurricane Ida. Unlike past hurricanes, Ida didn't lose her punch once she made landfall.

“We’re running out of tools for the toolbox if we get hit. … There’s an awful lot of things we need to be considering,” Manchin said at the chamber summit, accusing his fellow Democrats of “basically being shortsighted right now” with their plans to pass a $3.5 trillion partisan spending bill."

“I would ask my colleagues and all of the Senate to hit the pause button on the $3.5 [trillion],” he added. “Let’s sit back. Let’s see what happens. We’ve got so much on our plate. … That would be the prudent, wise thing to do.”

The Senator appears to have a point. It seems reasonable.

But not to progressives in the House.

"Manchin’s call for a pause is likely to further exacerbate intraparty tensions between moderates like him, concerned about the size of the reconciliation bill, and progressives who want to spend more," Roll Call.

Roll Call continues, "House progressives have sought to pressure Democratic moderates like Manchin and Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who also opposes spending $3.5 trillion, by threatening to oppose the [popular, badly needed] bipartisan infrastructure bill they helped negotiate. Progressives have said they’ll only support the infrastructure bill if the Senate passes a “robust” reconciliation bill that fulfills their priorities on climate, health care, affordable housing, child care, immigration and more.

Biden badly needs a win, but it appears the Democrats don't want to give it to him. I suppose they prefer a Republican President in 2024.
Unbelievable. We finally agree on something.
My top priorities would be fixing Medicare, bankrupt in 2024, and SS, insolvent in 2033.
After those, the bi-partisan infrastructure Bill looks okay, especially with the "pay-fors" (tax increases).

Forum List

Back