Manchin says NO to end the filibuster and pack the court

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Let me be clear: I will not vote to pack the courts & I will not vote to end the filibuster. The U.S. Senate is the most deliberative body in the world. It was made so that we work together in a bipartisan way. If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate.
Senator Joe Manchin

"I commit to tonight and I commit to all of your viewers and everyone else that's watching, I want to allay those fears, I want to rest those fears for you right now because when they talk about, whether it be packing the courts or ending the filibuster, I will not vote to do that," he continued.

Right now it appears that the US Senate is likely to stay in GOP hands. It was 48-48, but some have declared Tillis(R) the winner in North Carolina, and another (R) in Alaska is leading by 32 points, albeit with a lotta votes to be counted there. It's a big rural state, and dog sleds ain't that fast so cut 'em a little slack. It basically means the GOP already has at least a 50-50 tie in the Senate, with 2 runoff elections in Georgia left to be considered. Georgia is going to do a recount and one of those races (Perdue(R) ) is really close to getting 50% of the vote and avoiding a recount, but in any case the Rs are favored in both runoff contests. And it matters if the GOP retains control of the Senate even if Biden is officially declared to be our next president. Because that means those crazy Far Left lunatics are not going to get any of their agenda through Congress. Biden will have to compromise with the Senate GOP to get anything he wants to do, and the Far Let does NOT want to compromise on anything. AOC is talking about quitting already; pardon my tears of regret as I write this.

There might be some things Biden and the GOP Senate could agree on, and no doubt Biden will be using Executive Orders to do a lot of things which will be immediately challenged by the GOP in court the same as the democrats did to Trump; what goes around comes around. Yes, I know the republicans did the same to Obama, and the democrats did it to Bush before that and so on. Biden can call or unity all he wants, but it ain't going to happen unless and until the democrats negotiate in good faith with the GOP. There are factions in both parties who will fight against that. Lets just say I am somewhat less than optimistic about much compromising and cooperation happening.

But for now I thank God that the democrats will not have free rein to do as they please. As Manchin said, If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate. Instead, you would have mob rule the same as in the House of Representatives. Do you think Nancy Pelosi gives a fuck what the House Repubs want? Not hardly. And when the House reverts back to the GOP, maybe as early as 2022, it'll be the same shit but different party. I hope the US Senate never goes down that path.

Let me be clear: I will not vote to pack the courts & I will not vote to end the filibuster. The U.S. Senate is the most deliberative body in the world. It was made so that we work together in a bipartisan way. If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate.
Senator Joe Manchin

"I commit to tonight and I commit to all of your viewers and everyone else that's watching, I want to allay those fears, I want to rest those fears for you right now because when they talk about, whether it be packing the courts or ending the filibuster, I will not vote to do that," he continued.

Right now it appears that the US Senate is likely to stay in GOP hands. It was 48-48, but some have declared Tillis(R) the winner in North Carolina, and another (R) in Alaska is leading by 32 points, albeit with a lotta votes to be counted there. It's a big rural state, and dog sleds ain't that fast so cut 'em a little slack. It basically means the GOP already has at least a 50-50 tie in the Senate, with 2 runoff elections in Georgia left to be considered. Georgia is going to do a recount and one of those races (Perdue(R) ) is really close to getting 50% of the vote and avoiding a recount, but in any case the Rs are favored in both runoff contests. And it matters if the GOP retains control of the Senate even if Biden is officially declared to be our next president. Because that means those crazy Far Left lunatics are not going to get any of their agenda through Congress. Biden will have to compromise with the Senate GOP to get anything he wants to do, and the Far Let does NOT want to compromise on anything. AOC is talking about quitting already; pardon my tears of regret as I write this.

There might be some things Biden and the GOP Senate could agree on, and no doubt Biden will be using Executive Orders to do a lot of things which will be immediately challenged by the GOP in court the same as the democrats did to Trump; what goes around comes around. Yes, I know the republicans did the same to Obama, and the democrats did it to Bush before that and so on. Biden can call or unity all he wants, but it ain't going to happen unless and until the democrats negotiate in good faith with the GOP. There are factions in both parties who will fight against that. Lets just say I am somewhat less than optimistic about much compromising and cooperation happening.

But for now I thank God that the democrats will not have free rein to do as they please. As Manchin said, If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate. Instead, you would have mob rule the same as in the House of Representatives. Do you think Nancy Pelosi gives a fuck what the House Repubs want? Not hardly. And when the House reverts back to the GOP, maybe as early as 2022, it'll be the same shit but different party. I hope the US Senate never goes down that path.

And here you have example #1 of what's wrong with the Senate. Nothing gets done. There's been no bipartisanship since McConnell came to power. And Manchin contributes to that do nothing philosophy. Which is amusing because his state is one of the poorest in the US.

And here you have example #1 of what's wrong with the Senate. Nothing gets done. There's been no bipartisanship since McConnell came to power. And Manchin contributes to that do nothing philosophy. Which is amusing because his state is one of the poorest in the US.

It wasn't meant to be easy to get things done. That's why we have a bicameral legislature to approve changes in law plus a presidential sign off and a 3/5th requirement for amendments

I believe someone asked the other day whether Joe would go for this and I said he wouldn't.

Senator Joe Manchin

Sooooooooooo............. somebody finally figured out that it's Congress, and not the POTUS, that sets the number of SCOTUS judges?

Why then did they keep asking POTUS and VPOTUS candidates about something they can't do anyway?

Forum List

Back