Man Exonerated After 19 Yrs In Prison -- Good Cops Matter

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"On Wednesday, after 19 years’ incarceration, Hicks, 45, was, at last, exonerated. The Philadelphia District Attorney’s Conviction Integrity Unit agreed with Hicks and his lawyers, civil-rights attorney Susan Lin, and the Innocence Project, that the case was built on lies — possibly to cover up the unjustified shooting — that were contradicted by newly analyzed and compelling forensic evidence."

So basically, a woman was dragged into an alley and raped; a van pulled up and this caused the attacker to flee; Hicks came out and saw the victim and ran to try to help -- at this time, the police pulled up; thought Hicks was the rapist and shot him multiple times...they later claimed he pulled a gun on them and lunged at them...he was subsequently convicted of rape among other charges....case closed right??

Well it took 19 years to find out that all of this was a lie....and the evidence was available to prove this at the time but withheld...Evidence like how the cops planted a gun on Hicks, a gun that was later found to have belonged to a police officer, never reported stolen....evidence like the cops claiming to have shot Hicks who was facing towards them when in reality he was shot in the back...evidence like video footage that corroborated Hick's innocence but was withheld from his lawyers until after the trial...that video footage shows the attacker running away from the scene wearing a gray hoodie matching witness accounts -- while Hicks wore a coat with no hoody...

When we say good cops matter, we are talking about the cops who don't frame innocent people and obstruct justice just to cover for their mistakes -- the officers and prosecutors responsible never received any punishment and are still on the job....one of those officers later was found liable in a 2016 civil lawsuit where he dragged a taxi driver falsely accused of stealing a cell phone out of his cab, assaulted him, and told him if he did not like it, he could “go back to his country.”

"On Wednesday, after 19 years’ incarceration, Hicks, 45, was, at last, exonerated. The Philadelphia District Attorney’s Conviction Integrity Unit agreed with Hicks and his lawyers, civil-rights attorney Susan Lin, and the Innocence Project, that the case was built on lies — possibly to cover up the unjustified shooting — that were contradicted by newly analyzed and compelling forensic evidence."

So basically, a woman was dragged into an alley and raped; a van pulled up and this caused the attacker to flee; Hicks came out and saw the victim and ran to try to help -- at this time, the police pulled up; thought Hicks was the rapist and shot him multiple times...they later claimed he pulled a gun on them and lunged at them...he was subsequently convicted of rape among other charges....case closed right??

Well it took 19 years to find out that all of this was a lie....and the evidence was available to prove this at the time but withheld...Evidence like how the cops planted a gun on Hicks, a gun that was later found to have belonged to a police officer, never reported stolen....evidence like the cops claiming to have shot Hicks who was facing towards them when in reality he was shot in the back...evidence like video footage that corroborated Hick's innocence but was withheld from his lawyers until after the trial...that video footage shows the attacker running away from the scene wearing a gray hoodie matching witness accounts -- while Hicks wore a coat with no hoody...

When we say good cops matter, we are talking about the cops who don't frame innocent people and obstruct justice just to cover for their mistakes -- the officers and prosecutors responsible never received any punishment and are still on the job....one of those officers later was found liable in a 2016 civil lawsuit where he dragged a taxi driver falsely accused of stealing a cell phone out of his cab, assaulted him, and told him if he did not like it, he could “go back to his country.”

Yeah,
I once saw a Democrat punch an old lady in the face.....for no reason !!!

Democrats are SCUM and should be eliminated.

Yeah,
I once saw a Democrat punch an old lady in the face.....for no reason !!!

Democrats are SCUM and should be eliminated.
I understand you are incapable of taking Democrats dick out your mouth - but practice your fetish on another post....this ain't the one....

^^^ What good difference would doing such a thing make?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Urinating in one person's yard will never make your own grass any greener.

Man, Philadelphia sounds like a shit hole. Why does the black and brown majority of voters keep electing people that treat them like that?

Me? If I were you, I would punish the people that did that, by voting for the other guy.

I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but think it though.

People oppress and kill you, instead of SUPPORTING THEM, you DON'T SUPPORT THEM.

Then, someone else is in charge, and maybe they will do a better job.

Man, Philadelphia sounds like a shit hole. Why does the black and brown majority of voters keep electing people that treat them like that?

Me? If I were you, I would punish the people that did that, by voting for the other guy.

I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but think it though.

People oppress and kill you, instead of SUPPORTING THEM, you DON'T SUPPORT THEM.

Then, someone else is in charge, and maybe they will do a better job.

Ok. These corrupt cops did their thing twenty five years ago. The people in charge then are probably dead. Or in a Nursing Home asking an orderly to help change their sack.

Or you could mean Republicans. Real reformers there. In Florida Republicans called on cops who oppose reforms like the Philadelphia Conviction Reviews to come to Florida where they support cops. Cops who were fired for brutality were also welcome.

Or Texas who has most probably executed innocent men? Real push for reform going on in Texas isn’t there?

So where is this example of Republican Reform of the Justice system. I mean other than execute the bastards sooner?

We could look to Orange County California. Republican Stronghold. The Sheriffs Department was found to have a pattern of mishandling evidence and lying about it on Reports. The IAD investigation was shut down after 100 deputies were found to have done it. So they prosecuted two and promised to stop doing it.

Or we can take what the Democrats have started in Philly we can review convictions and create and maintain the Brady lists that are supposed to be done anyway. We can release innocents from incarceration.

Show me the Republicans championing that.

Ok. These corrupt cops did their thing twenty five years ago. The people in charge then are probably dead. Or in a Nursing Home asking an orderly to help change their sack.

Or you could mean Republicans. Real reformers there. In Florida Republicans called on cops who oppose reforms like the Philadelphia Conviction Reviews to come to Florida where they support cops. Cops who were fired for brutality were also welcome.

Or Texas who has most probably executed innocent men? Real push for reform going on in Texas isn’t there?

So where is this example of Republican Reform of the Justice system. I mean other than execute the bastards sooner?

We could look to Orange County California. Republican Stronghold. The Sheriffs Department was found to have a pattern of mishandling evidence and lying about it on Reports. The IAD investigation was shut down after 100 deputies were found to have done it. So they prosecuted two and promised to stop doing it.

Or we can take what the Democrats have started in Philly we can review convictions and create and maintain the Brady lists that are supposed to be done anyway. We can release innocents from incarceration.

Show me the Republicans championing that.

2001? This guy was mayor.

1629902111464.png

A democrat. I quick look at his wikepedia page doesn't show any attempt at doing anything with the police. He did come down hard on the Boy Scouts for not allowing gay Scout Masters. So, there is that.

but, probably not fair to put the blame on him. He was only there a year or so when it happened.

THis guy was mayor from 1992 to 2000, eight years. He didn't do anything about the cops either. He did give same sex couples city benefits, so, there is that.

Mmm, funny how the dems repay the gays for they support, but don't do shit for the blacks.

NOBODY is going to have sympathy for the assholes who did this. They should get the same sentence as they guy they fucked over.

2001? This guy was mayor.

View attachment 530512

A democrat. I quick look at his wikepedia page doesn't show any attempt at doing anything with the police. He did come down hard on the Boy Scouts for not allowing gay Scout Masters. So, there is that.

but, probably not fair to put the blame on him. He was only there a year or so when it happened.

THis guy was mayor from 1992 to 2000, eight years. He didn't do anything about the cops either. He did give same sex couples city benefits, so, there is that.

Mmm, funny how the dems repay the gays for they support, but don't do shit for the blacks.

and Republicans do? Cutting social programs. Belittling the blacks. And in this very thread arguing that innocent men released from Prison where they were wrongfully convicted should be watched carefully to protect us.

Tell me how executing innocents in Texas has helped people? The guilty guy is still out there living free. Committing other crimes right? Tell me how asking cops found to have committed misconduct move to Florida helps anyone?

What is happening now? Why are we debating this? Democrats are examining the record and exposing misconduct. Not focusing on their political rivals. Finding the truth and freeing innocent men. Who objects? Cops. Conservatives. Republicans.

Show me a Republican arguing for Justice Reform to insure innocents don’t go to prison. Show me a Republican who is campaigning on holding misconduct in police accountable. Show me a Republican who is paying even lip service for any kind of accountability within their own ranks? OK. True the Trump Fanboys want anyone who dared speak a discouraging word about Trump. But otherwise it’s all the Democrats.

I can’t change anything from 1991. I can encourage the actions the Democrats are taking today. It is long overdue. But they are doing it while Republicans won’t even consider it in areas they control.

So who should we vote for? The party doing something to expose and end the misconduct or the party that wants to blame everyone but never actually do anything about the issue? Doesn’t that actually encourage the misconduct that saw innocent men incarcerated and executed?

Forum List

Back