Male's right to abortion.

BobPlumb

VIP Member
Jul 16, 2013
It is the position of prochoice people that abortion is not murder. The fetus before viability outside the womb does not have a right to life that trumps the will of the potential mother. Thus, the pregnant female may legally use abortion as a method of birth control if she decides that she does not want the responsibilities of a child for any reason. She may even get an abortion against the wishes of the potential father.

However, if the male does not want a child, the female can go through with the pregnancy anyway. The male currently has no choice at this point but the female does. The male could be on the hook for 18 years of child support if the female has the baby.

I purpose that if a fetus is not a baby, not a legally protected human life, then the male should be able to op out of his responsibility for the pregnancy. He should be able to legally inform the female that if she does not use the available contraception of abortion, then she is responsible for the child that is born as a consequence of the pregnancy.

Prochoice people, am I wrong? Why or why not?

So, women should be 100% responsible for a live birth even though the male is 50% responsible for the pregnancy?

This is what dead beat dads believe and, on a very practical level, they're correct.

IMO, both men and women have sovereign rights over their own bodies. They also have responsibility for their actions and equal responsibility for their children.

If you don't want to support your children, don't make them. Take responsibility for what you say and do.

It is the position of prochoice people that abortion is not murder. The fetus before viability outside the womb does not have a right to life that trumps the will of the potential mother. Thus, the pregnant female may legally use abortion as a method of birth control if she decides that she does not want the responsibilities of a child for any reason. She may even get an abortion against the wishes of the potential father.

However, if the male does not want a child, the female can go through with the pregnancy anyway. The male currently has no choice at this point but the female does. The male could be on the hook for 18 years of child support if the female has the baby.

I purpose that if a fetus is not a baby, not a legally protected human life, then the male should be able to op out of his responsibility for the pregnancy. He should be able to legally inform the female that if she does not use the available contraception of abortion, then she is responsible for the child that is born as a consequence of the pregnancy.

You can go to court and voluntarily terminate parental rights, which will also relinquish any obligation or responsibility.

Both parties can do that.

2nd but not likely to happen, a pre-talk with potential sex partner about their stand on abortion/pregnancy once you know where they stand if you disagree choose not to sleep together.

You can go to court and voluntarily terminate parental rights, which will also relinquish any obligation or responsibility.

2nd but not likely to happen, a pre-talk with potential sex partner about their stand on abortion/pregnancy once you know where they stand if you disagree choose not to sleep together.
you cant get out of paying support for the child.

So, women should be 100% responsible for a live birth even though the male is 50% responsible for the pregnancy?

This is what dead beat dads believe and, on a very practical level, they're correct.

IMO, both men and women have sovereign rights over their own bodies. They also have responsibility for their actions and equal responsibility for their children.

If you don't want to support your children, don't make them. Take responsibility for what you say and do.

and thus you prove the hypocrisy that the OP is talking about.

If the court grants you termination of parental rights you can.

They wont. Even if you had the mothers consent which you need they wont. The only waty you get out of paying support is to prove your not the father OR the mother has your replacement adopt the child otherwise your are screwed. This is the reality of our courts the mothers right to your money to them is absolute.

Dead beat dads (and, although not as common, women) simply refuse to pay.

Unless you are going to grant the male equal say the law is a farce. There have been instances of men wanting the child and the woman aborting it anyway. A just society would allow for a man to disavow responsibility within the period at which abortions are legal.

Actually, a just society would outlaw abortion, but since that's not happening, giving men second class status when they are half of the baby is an abomination.

Not necessarily

If you don't want to be on the hook for 18 years of child support, don't knock anyone up.

Pretty simple concept. I have no sympathy for a man in that position.

If you don't want to be on the hook for 18 years of child support, don't knock anyone up.

Why do you want the government involved in parental responsibility?

Why do you want the government involved in parental responsibility?

Who said I did?

Forum List

Back