Making fossil fuels more expensive in order to promote green energy will not work

All I know are historical prices of gas compared to the price of oil
Based on oil under $100 a barrel, we are paying $1 a gallon of gas too much

Cool. What were the historical ratios over the last 10 years? Over the last 20 years?

Are you sure it's not $1.02 too much? Or $0.98 too much?
I'll have to examine your data before I can agree with your number.

The price of oil right now is $98 a barrel
We have had oil above $100 a barrel many times in the past and gas prices stayed below $3.50 a gallon

How do oil companies charge $4.50 a gallon for gas made from oil at $98 a barrel??
I give you credit for knowing much more than that.

Your mistake here is the typical lib-Dem mistake of static reasoning. Static reasoning typically looks at two factors only, one cause and one effect, without looking at the many effects of any change, especially when dealing with economics. For example, a lib-Dem might say, "Raise the minimum wage to fifteen dollars, and the result will be that everyone who works a minimum wage job now will be making more than twice the money!"

For that example, I'll give you credit for understanding the absurd fallacy of that, and knowing what other factors we should take into account when proposing doubling the minimum wage. But you don't seem to understand what other factors besides price per barrel of oil go into pricing a gallon of gas.

I'm not an expert on oil production and pricing. I probably don't know that much more about it than even Hunter Biden, famous for knowing nothing. But just at a glance, I know that the regulations are not the same now as they were in previous times when oil was above $100 per barrel. I know that we have had inflation since then. Either of those two factors blow your logic out of the water, and I can't imagine that there are not many others.

The price of oil right now is $98 a barrel
We have had oil above $100 a barrel many times in the past and gas prices stayed below $3.50 a gallon

How do oil companies charge $4.50 a gallon for gas made from oil at $98 a barrel??

Do you understand that that final price at the pump for gasoline does not just reflect the legitimate cost of producing that gasoline, with a meager markup?

It also includes all the excessive taxes that government imposes on the production of that gasoline along the whole of the process of doing so, and it also includes the costs of complying with excessive burdensome government regulations imposed on the companies and processes.

Do you understand that that final price at the pump for gasoline does not just reflect the legitimate cost of producing that gasoline, with a meager markup?

It also includes all the excessive taxes that government imposes on the production of that gasoline along the whole of the process of doing so, and it also includes the costs of complying with excessive burdensome government regulations imposed on the companies and processes.

The US has the highest production costs in the world and sloppy environmental standards. We're not as sloppy as Venezuela, but but we can't hold a candle to Saudi Arabia.

Oh please……

Those taxes and regulations haven’t changed in the last year
What has changed is the price BIG OIL is charging for gas.

When the price per barrel went past $100 a barrel they quickly raised their prices above $4 a gallon till it reached $5

Now that oil is back under $100, they still cling to $4.50 a gallon

Oh please……

Those taxes and regulations haven’t changed in the last year
What has changed is the price BIG OIL is charging for gas.

When the price per barrel went past $100 a barrel they quickly raised their prices above $4 a gallon till it reached $5

Now that oil is back under $100, they still cling to $4.50 a gallon

No matter what other excuses you may cling to, I simply do not see how any rational person can look at government taking up to twenty to forty times as much in taxes on a product, as what the manufacturer of that product makes in profits from it, and conclude that the manufacturer is the problem with regard to how much that product costs the consumers.

When the oil companies are making at least as much in profit on the sale of gasoline as what government is taking in taxes, then perhaps you'll have a vestige of a point.

Janet Yellen did not "admit," but rather proudly stated that this is indeed the reason for the Team Biden's attacks on the U.S. fossil fuel industry.

The problem with pushing gasoline prices up to force average Americans to buy far more expensive electric cars is that switching to electric cars does not eliminate the use of fossil fuels. There are two reasons why that plan will not work:

First of all, electric cars are produced at enormous costs to the environment and using large amounts of fossil fuels. The reason electric cars are more expensive than gasoline powered cars it the greater amount of energy it takes to produce them. Not to mention the negative impact on the environment of mining the lithium for the huge EV batteries (see bottom of post).

Second, electric cars still use energy. Electricity is energy. Electricity has to be generated to be useful. Perhaps Team Biden envisions every American having an electric car parked under their home windmill or solar panel array. Won't happen in our lifetimes. Electricity for EV's will continue to be generated by diesel and coal fired electric plants, to be sent to the homes of those with EV's in their garages. Even in the distant future if Americans do all have renewable energy at home, again, resources will have to be spent and the environment damaged by producing the equipment to capture that renewable energy.

Someday, perhaps hundreds of years from now, we will move away from fossil fuels, simply because they are finite. Also because alternative technology advances will make wind, solar or perhaps some other form of energy practical. It will be a gradual move driven by those two factors, similar to letting out the clutch and applying the gas. It is not helpful to either jam the gas pedal or pop the clutch. That produces a bumpy start and a likely stall (see bottom of post).

As almost always, the free market would be the best way to determine when we should start making that switch. The idea that industry, left to make its own decisions, would wait until the last drop of oil is out of the ground to start looking at alternative sources is absurd.

Processing of Lithium Ore

The lithium extraction process uses a lot of water—approximately 500,000 gallons per metric ton of lithium. To extract lithium, miners drill a hole in salt flats and pump salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface. After several months the water evaporates, leaving a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then filtered and placed into another evaporation pool. After between 12 and 18 months of this process, the mixture is filtered sufficiently that lithium carbonate can be extracted.

South America’s Lithium Triangle, which covers parts of Argentina, Bolivia and Chile, holds more than half the world’s supply of the metal beneath its salt flats. But it is also one of the driest places on earth. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, mining activities consumed 65 percent of the region’s water, which is having a large impact on local farmers to the point that some communities have to get water elsewhere.

As in Tibet, there is the potential for toxic chemicals to leak from the evaporation pools into the water supply including hydrochloric acid, which is used in the processing of lithium, and waste products that are filtered out of the brine. In Australia and North America, lithium is mined from rock using chemicals to extract it into a useful form. In Nevada, researchers found impacts on fish as far as 150 miles downstream from a lithium processing operation.

Lithium extraction harms the soil and causes air contamination. In Argentina’s Salar de Hombre Muerto, residents believe that lithium operations contaminated streams used by humans and livestock and for crop irrigation. In Chile, the landscape is marred by mountains of discarded salt and canals filled with contaminated water with an unnatural blue hue. According to Guillermo Gonzalez, a lithium battery expert from the University of Chile, “This isn’t a green solution – it’s not a solution at all.”

As soon as I typed that about clutch and gas, I knew the analogy would be lost on most of those I intend this post for.

This scam has never been about protecting the environment. It's about shutting down the engine of capitalism, which is fossil fuels.

Hardly

It is missed opportunity to convert decades ago
Now we are paying the price

For decades it was, why convert to alternative fuels when gas is so cheap?

Now, we are finding out why
The alternatives Carter was talking about were nuclear and synthetic petroleum. Synthetic petroleum is made from coal and is at least as bad for the environment as natural oil. In the seventies there was no solar or wind power. Carter wanted to get out of OPEC’s stranglehold on our economy.

Excess SAUDI oil?
WTF? Just don't import it...............right?

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is a U.S. Government complex of four sites with deep underground storage caverns created in salt domes along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coasts.

The SPR was filled to its then 727 million barrel authorized storage capacity on December 27, 2009; the inventory of 726.6 million barrels was the highest ever held in the SPR.

Prior to Hurricane Gustav coming ashore on September 1, 2008, the SPR had reached 707.21 million barrels, the highest level ever held up until that date. A series of emergency exchanges conducted after Hurricane Gustav, followed shortly thereafter by Hurricane Ike, reduced the level by 5.4 million barrels.
If you remember we had many tankers anchored off our ports because there was no space to off-load their oil. Demand cratered when the democrats shut down the country. No one was traveling, few people were still commuting to work and most people were staying home.

If you remember we had many tankers anchored off our ports because there was no space to off-load their oil. Demand cratered when the democrats shut down the country.
March 16 2020
President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force on Monday issued new, stricter guidelines to stop coronavirus. This includes a directive to close bars, restaurants and other venues where people gather. His limit for gatherings is ten people, which will scuttle most church-houses across the nation.

Trump said, “My administration is recommending that all Americans, including the young and healthy, work to engage in schooling from home when possible, avoid gathering in groups of more than ten people, avoid discretionary travel and avoid eating and drinking in bars, restaurants, and public food courts.”

March 30 2020
President Donald Trump is extending the voluntary national shutdown for a month as sickness and death from the coronavirus pandemic rise in the U.S.

The initial 15-day period of social distancing urged by the federal government expires Monday and Trump had expressed interest in relaxing the national guidelines at least in parts of the country less afflicted by the pandemic. But instead he decided to extend them through April 30, a tacit acknowledgment he'd been too optimistic. Many states and local governments have stiffer controls in place on mobility and gatherings.

No one was traveling, few people were still commuting to work and most people were staying home.

The alternatives Carter was talking about were nuclear and synthetic petroleum. Synthetic petroleum is made from coal and is at least as bad for the environment as natural oil. In the seventies there was no solar or wind power. Carter wanted to get out of OPEC’s stranglehold on our economy.

There was solar in the 1970s.

If you remember we had many tankers anchored off our ports because there was no space to off-load their oil. Demand cratered when the democrats shut down the country. No one was traveling, few people were still commuting to work and most people were staying home.

Trump was president not the Democrats.

There was solar in the 1970s.
It was damned rare and expensive if it existed. I can't remember seeing any consumer-level solar. What I can remember was solar water heating. Photovoltaic panels were in their infancy and were limited to specialty uses like satellites.

Forum List

Back