What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making fossil fuels more expensive in order to promote green energy will not work

Toddsterpatriot

Diamond Member
Reaction score
All I know are historical prices of gas compared to the price of oil
Based on oil under $100 a barrel, we are paying $1 a gallon of gas too much

Cool. What were the historical ratios over the last 10 years? Over the last 20 years?

Are you sure it's not $1.02 too much? Or $0.98 too much?
I'll have to examine your data before I can agree with your number.

OP
Seymour Flops

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The price of oil right now is $98 a barrel
We have had oil above $100 a barrel many times in the past and gas prices stayed below $3.50 a gallon

How do oil companies charge $4.50 a gallon for gas made from oil at $98 a barrel??
I give you credit for knowing much more than that.

Your mistake here is the typical lib-Dem mistake of static reasoning. Static reasoning typically looks at two factors only, one cause and one effect, without looking at the many effects of any change, especially when dealing with economics. For example, a lib-Dem might say, "Raise the minimum wage to fifteen dollars, and the result will be that everyone who works a minimum wage job now will be making more than twice the money!"

For that example, I'll give you credit for understanding the absurd fallacy of that, and knowing what other factors we should take into account when proposing doubling the minimum wage. But you don't seem to understand what other factors besides price per barrel of oil go into pricing a gallon of gas.

I'm not an expert on oil production and pricing. I probably don't know that much more about it than even Hunter Biden, famous for knowing nothing. But just at a glance, I know that the regulations are not the same now as they were in previous times when oil was above $100 per barrel. I know that we have had inflation since then. Either of those two factors blow your logic out of the water, and I can't imagine that there are not many others.

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The price of oil right now is $98 a barrel
We have had oil above $100 a barrel many times in the past and gas prices stayed below $3.50 a gallon

How do oil companies charge $4.50 a gallon for gas made from oil at $98 a barrel??

Do you understand that that final price at the pump for gasoline does not just reflect the legitimate cost of producing that gasoline, with a meager markup?

It also includes all the excessive taxes that government imposes on the production of that gasoline along the whole of the process of doing so, and it also includes the costs of complying with excessive burdensome government regulations imposed on the companies and processes.

surada

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Do you understand that that final price at the pump for gasoline does not just reflect the legitimate cost of producing that gasoline, with a meager markup?

It also includes all the excessive taxes that government imposes on the production of that gasoline along the whole of the process of doing so, and it also includes the costs of complying with excessive burdensome government regulations imposed on the companies and processes.

The US has the highest production costs in the world and sloppy environmental standards. We're not as sloppy as Venezuela, but but we can't hold a candle to Saudi Arabia.

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Reaction score

Oh please……

Those taxes and regulations haven’t changed in the last year
What has changed is the price BIG OIL is charging for gas.

When the price per barrel went past $100 a barrel they quickly raised their prices above $4 a gallon till it reached $5

Now that oil is back under $100, they still cling to $4.50 a gallon

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Oh please……

Those taxes and regulations haven’t changed in the last year
What has changed is the price BIG OIL is charging for gas.

When the price per barrel went past $100 a barrel they quickly raised their prices above $4 a gallon till it reached $5

Now that oil is back under $100, they still cling to $4.50 a gallon

No matter what other excuses you may cling to, I simply do not see how any rational person can look at government taking up to twenty to forty times as much in taxes on a product, as what the manufacturer of that product makes in profits from it, and conclude that the manufacturer is the problem with regard to how much that product costs the consumers.

When the oil companies are making at least as much in profit on the sale of gasoline as what government is taking in taxes, then perhaps you'll have a vestige of a point.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List