Making English the Official Language

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Object of A Proposition: English as A National Language
By Ed Feulner, Chicago Sun-Times
February 21, 2007

In the mid-1950s, French educator Jacques Barzun said, "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball." He correctly recognized the sport as a cultural touchstone that united us.

Half a century later, finding a tie that binds us as a nation is a little tougher. So let's go back to basics. How about the English language?

This probably seems like common sense. After all, English is already universal. It's not only spoken by an overwhelming number of Americans, it's also understood by hundreds of millions worldwide. It's the language of aviation, and thus international commerce, as well as the default language of the Internet. Everyone, from stock traders in New York to software designers in Mumbai, uses English to conduct business.

But instead of using the power of our native tongue to unite the country, our official policy has been to balkanize the United States.

for full article:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/feulner/265620,CST-EDT-FEUL21.article

I see all these nay sayers that believe it isn’t right to make anyone speak English. I have to reflect to my years in California and the rage of ebonics and the money spent to teach kids this gibberish in schools and then speaking only Spanish to Spanish speaking students in schools. And I wonder who is allowing this to happen or what kind of kick backs is being given to the California School system?
And I believe it is the right time to squelch all these other ideas and government programs that continue to enable foreigners to remain English free. How hard is learning English? Well it is claimed to be one of the more difficult languages to learn next to Mandarin Chinese. I learned Japanese by watching TV back twenty years ago and having to be around English speaking people you’ll pick it up. I have a true example of how a Spanish speaking guy learned English in 6 months. Our guy was from Puerto Rico and he joined the Navy. Well his buddy translated everything for him in Basic training and our guy picked up a little but not much. Well our guy came to our ship and we all spoke English except him and his nick name was NSE (no speak the English) he was a hard working guy and he became pretty funny once he adapted to our world. I can say after 6 months with us not only could he speak darn good English with a heavy accent but he could use the F- word like a champ! So my point is this:
Screw all these people that think it is unconstitutional because it isn’t and if we go to a foreign land many times people don’t speak English and we have to learn a few words to get by. Make it official and quit enabling foreigners on our dollar to remain stubborn and English free!

What is the official national language in America? I assumed it was already English. Based on printed money, the legal system, politics, news, etc.

English IS our official language. We use other languages as a convenience for those who have not learned English. Because we are a land of immigrants.

Want to get around the nay-sayers? Those people who think it is wrong to officially force a language down others throats I mean?

Draft a law that says English is the official Language of the .gov.

No multilingual anythings and translators only provided for diplomatic, law enforcement, or judiciary reasons.

Then leave it up to the individual to adapt or get left out in the cold.

The dec of Indep and Bill o Rileyights are english - just someone wants to make it official? Makes sense, feeling threatened by other cultures and want to make a symbolic move. (threatened isnt the right word, but you know)

If I understand the flip side correctly, multilingualism is or has been declared a right.

Meaning that if Bobby only speaks GreekOrthodoxHeathenJew, he is still entitled to a public education. In order to provide Bobby with the education, the system is now required to provide instruction in GreekOrthodoxHeathenJew. Bobby is encouraged to take ESL classes (at state expense) but isn't required to. All the requirements are on the state.

My idea is intended to protect Bobby's right to speak GreekOrthodoxHeathenJew at any time and place he wishes. But, it relieves the taxpayer of the burden of accommodating Bobby for his entire life because he chooses not to learn English.

Another example is that Bobby wants to be a citizen. So his tests, interviews, etc must be in GreekOrthodoxHeathenJew. When he votes he has a limited right to expect the ballot to be specially made for him in GreekOrthodoxHeathenJew. On ballots, I think there is a lower limit before a multilingual requirement is enforced. But you get the picture.

Makes sense... adults should have to learn at own expense, kids too - but I see also the idea that since kids can learn new languages easily and quickly - that providing funds to teach esl will save money and time in long run, as trying to deal with adults who never learned (though its their own fault) still becomes a hassle for the rest. Dunno, maye some esl is lesser of two evils...

pegwinn said:
If I understand the flip side correctly, multilingualism is or has been declared a right.

Yup, by a liberal of course. It escapes me how Clinton could issue an executive order to enforce such a "right" that really is not related to his running of the executive branch. Seems to me that this matter should have been voted upon by the legislative branch instead.

Executive Order 13166, issued by Bill Clinton in the summer before he left office, mandates that any group that receives any federal funding must provide its services in any foreign language that may be spoken by someone likely to receive those services. So instead of having one official language, in practice we have dozens.

Forum List

Back