Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

• Banned
A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

A tip is something you give for good service rendered. A tip is voluntary.

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

Yes 15% generally when its charged upfront. I generally tip 20% when the level of service is good. This is a service industry. As such, the customer can only determine level of satisfaction. I always thought the idea was to WORK for the tip!

db_waiter1.gif

I ate out once when I was in SF. It was a placxe on the water but that is about all i remember. I think it was a seafood place...I had a lot of drinks.

• Banned

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

For good service we leave at a minimum 25% .... We are known for leaving 50%+ That is becasue we want to...and reward good service. We never leave nothing... for bad service we leave $5. ... and that is them making $15/hour...of which they are NOT worth.

Yes 15% generally when its charged upfront. I generally tip 20% when the level of service is good. This is a service industry. As such, the customer can only determine level of satisfaction. I always thought the idea was to WORK for the tip!

db_waiter1.gif

yeah but when you have pretentious clientele who is going to squabble over a few bucks.

"Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?"

NO!!!!!!! I would not pay a mandated gratuity. I will tip my 15% for fair service and 20% for good service. I expect a 15% added gratuity for party's 8 and over, because this takes up a lot of time and space and often the one server is left little. Cheapskates.

I have found that servers give better service when they don't know how much they will be receiving. If they know in advance, many will just know that the big bucks will be forthcoming and their service could become lax. Free money makes one work less, not more. It becomes an entitlement and we have seen how THAT negates incentive and puts ppl to work....LMAO***

"Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?"

NO!!!!!!! I would not pay a mandated gratuity. I will tip my 15% for fair service and 20% for good service. I expect a 15% added gratuity for party's 8 and over, because this takes up a lot of time and space and often the one server is left little. Cheapskates.

I have found that servers give better service when they don't know how much they will be receiving. If they know in advance, many will just know that the big bucks will be forthcoming and their service could become lax. Free money makes one work less, not more. It becomes an entitlement and we have seen how THAT negates incentive and puts ppl to work....LMAO***

you and i know that.... these idiots sure dont.

We are back of the house and know waiters crap....:lol:

Last edited:
well, i'm not certain the servers are going to improve their pay...they should know their own state laws on this, you would think?

read this, california law regarding tips that are a gift vs service fees....seems like this would apply....a service charge is not a tip....

6.Q.Is a mandatory service charge considered to be the same as a tip or gratuity?

A.No, a tip is a voluntary amount left by a patron for an employee. A mandatory service charge is an amount that a patron is required to pay based on a contractual agreement or a specified required service amount listed on the menu of an establishment. An example of a mandatory service charge that is a contractual agreement would be a 10 or 15 percent charge added to the cost of a banquet. Such charges are considered as amounts owed by the patron to the establishment and are not gratuities voluntarily left for the employees. Therefore, when an employer distributes all or part of a service charge to its employees, the distribution may be at the discretion of the employer and the service charge, which would be in the nature of a bonus, would be included in the regular rate of pay when calculating overtime payments
Tips and gratuities

well, i'm not certain the servers are going to improve their pay...they should know their own state laws on this, you would think?

read this, california law regarding tips that are a gift vs service fees....seems like this would apply....a service charge is not a tip....

6.Q.Is a mandatory service charge considered to be the same as a tip or gratuity?

A.No, a tip is a voluntary amount left by a patron for an employee. A mandatory service charge is an amount that a patron is required to pay based on a contractual agreement or a specified required service amount listed on the menu of an establishment. An example of a mandatory service charge that is a contractual agreement would be a 10 or 15 percent charge added to the cost of a banquet. Such charges are considered as amounts owed by the patron to the establishment and are not gratuities voluntarily left for the employees. Therefore, when an employer distributes all or part of a service charge to its employees, the distribution may be at the discretion of the employer and the service charge, which would be in the nature of a bonus, would be included in the regular rate of pay when calculating overtime payments
Tips and gratuities

yes.... they will tack a 18% serviace charge/tip... onto a party of 8 or more

what the waiters here are looking for is 25% our of everyone. So tables for 2 or 4. They already make money hand over fist.... but they want more. Most of whom do not even deserve 5%

snip from my link:
San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Not a chance, but when I travel to Montreal it's worse.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

A tip is a choice, not a demand. I would not enter any restaurant that applies an indiscriminate charge for a tip.

It's patently distasteful to me.

Tips and gratuities

what the waiters here are looking for is 25% our of everyone. So tables for 2 or 4. They already make money hand over fist.... but they want more. Most of whom do not even deserve 5%

snip from my link:
San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,
and i am saying if they TACK that tip on to the check automatically, it THEN becomes a service charge....and because it becomes a service charge, then the OWNER now controls it.....he can keep half if he likes, or give you some as a bonus, of which all of it would be taxed and count as pay, not tips....

the whole thing is absurd, but even more so, because those waiters and waitresses, if they got their wish, are screwing themselves, in many more ways than one.....

Tipping should be done away with altogether. It is a stupid tradition.

Tips and gratuities

snip from my link:
and i am saying if they TACK that tip on to the check automatically, it THEN becomes a service charge....and because it becomes a service charge, then the OWNER now controls it.....he can keep half if he likes, or give you some as a bonus, of which all of it would be taxed and count as pay, not tips....

the whole thing is absurd, but even more so, because those waiters and waitresses, if they got their wish, are screwing themselves, in many more ways than one.....

Gotcha.

Most do not declare any tips that come in as cash. They only declare what is on a credit card charges, as that can be tracked.

Yes, i think they will be screwing themselves. I wont eat anywhere that would do that.

A tip is a choice, not a demand. I would not enter any restaurant that applies an indiscriminate charge for a tip.

i thought a 15% service charge is added to all restaurant checks in Canada? When i went to quebec on holiday, the 15% tip was mandatory.....plus in many places in europe, it was like that too!

i don't like a mandatory tip/service charge either!

its San Francisco... what can i say.

Forum List

Back