Magnificent Pillars of Creation sparkle in new James Webb Space Telescope image

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
I'm puttin this in photography because I'm more interested in the technology than the inevitable debate. It's a stunning photo.

''Located in the constellation Serpens, some 7,000 light-years away, the magnificent Pillars of Creation are column-shaped clouds of interstellar dust and gas that are part of the Eagle Nebula. The first image of them, taken in 1995 by the James Webb Space Telescope's predecessor, the Hubble Space Telescope, stunned astronomers with its intimidating beauty.

The new photograph obtained by Webb's Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) reveals the pillars in much greater detail, with fine structures of the clouds emerging with clarity and hundreds of previously invisible stars sparking throughout the image. Many of these stars were born just a few hundred thousand years ago, NASA said in a statement(opens in new tab).''

stsci-01gfnn3pwjmy4rqxkz585bc4qh.png

I'm puttin this in photography because I'm more interested in the technology than the inevitable debate. It's a stunning photo.

''Located in the constellation Serpens, some 7,000 light-years away, the magnificent Pillars of Creation are column-shaped clouds of interstellar dust and gas that are part of the Eagle Nebula. The first image of them, taken in 1995 by the James Webb Space Telescope's predecessor, the Hubble Space Telescope, stunned astronomers with its intimidating beauty.

The new photograph obtained by Webb's Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) reveals the pillars in much greater detail, with fine structures of the clouds emerging with clarity and hundreds of previously invisible stars sparking throughout the image. Many of these stars were born just a few hundred thousand years ago, NASA said in a statement(opens in new tab).''

stsci-01gfnn3pwjmy4rqxkz585bc4qh.png

What a shame someone trod mud on the picture.

(PS: of COURSE it's amazing even if it is muddy).

Greg

Forum List

Back