Maggie Mae thinks illiteracy is genetic.

Allie - dyslexia is often inherited. I'm not sure if race is a signifcant factor (not in my experience) but gender certainly is. There are also different definitions of illiteracy. Some go by state test scores; some are measured by whether someone is a "functional".reader.

The consensus on the "nature/nurture" debate is 50/50. You both may be right.

• Banned
Besides which, I know very well the maven of racism wasn't talking about dyslexia. She was very specific and delineated her belief that not only are black people stupid, they're genetically stupid, and white people somehow made them that way.

I think we can conclude she doesn't even know what illiteracy is.

"il·lit·er·ate [ i líttərət ]

adjective

Definition:

1. offensive term: an offensive term meaning not able to read or write

2. uneducated: having or showing little or no knowledge of a particular subject
artistically illiterate

3. making many language mistakes: full of or making many basic errors in the use of language
illiterate prose."
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861620144/illiterate.html?qpvt=illiteracy+definition

Last edited:
  • Banned
Possibly. Though lots and lots of people with dyslexia are decidely well educated. Lots of doctors have dyslexia, many scholars are.

But it doesn't matter. Maggie Mae, the moron, didn't say "dyslexia is genetic". The buffoon said "illiteracy in black people is genetic."

Which has to be one of the most profoundly 1. racist, and 2. IDIOTIC, statements of the decade.

Since she's on ignore, I don't have a clue what AllieBabba has said in this, her second thread of the day attempting to lure me into combat with her over a comment I made in a THIRD thread. Soon I hope she will wear herself out trying. Self-flagellation is good for ya, Allie. Knock yourself out.

I stand by what I said in the other two threads.

• Banned
She is such an incredible moron.
I wonder if her stupidity is genetic? I rather think it's deliberate.

• Banned
And if I'm on her ignore list, how would she see the threads I start?
I never ignore anyone, so I don't know how it works.
Though it's REALLY a shame she can't see the definition of illiteracy, since we all know she's too painfully stupid to look it up herself.

Possibly. Though lots and lots of people with dyslexia are decidely well educated. Lots of doctors have dyslexia, many scholars are.

But it doesn't matter. Maggie Mae, the moron, didn't say "dyslexia is genetic". The buffoon said "illiteracy in black people is genetic."

Which has to be one of the most profoundly 1. racist, and 2. IDIOTIC, statements of the decade.

And I know all about dyslexia. ;)

Don't think she is being racist, just repeating what some doctors of said.

137th APHA Annual Meeting (November 7-11, 2009): Identifying barriers to genetic literacy among African Americans and Latinos in the community

There is also some other stuff if you google.
I personally think it is environmental, and the white people are to blame, just not our generation so much. ;)

Er..genetic literacy refers to LITERACY about GENETICS.

YOu fucking retards. I can't believe we are having this conversation.

Has anyone on this board progressed past the fourth grade??????

"The need to increase genetic literacy was identified as an important goal of the Michigan State Genetics Plan. This page provides links to publications, courses and web sites that help people make the best use of genetic information, including family health history, for preventing disease and improving health. Also included are links to resources about family support services for individuals with genetic conditions or other special health needs."
Genetic Literacy

I'm sorry, that is just too fucking funny.

If you were my kids I would have taped this ridiculous exchange and sent it in to funniest home videos. It's that stupid.

Since she's on ignore, I don't have a clue what AllieBabba has said in this, her second thread of the day attempting to lure me into combat with her over a comment I made in a THIRD thread. Soon I hope she will wear herself out trying. Self-flagellation is good for ya, Allie. Knock yourself out.

I stand by what I said in the other two threads.

I see Allie now has a THIRD new thread on this subject. Good grief, she's like a rabid dog still gnawing on a bone that's already been picked clean.

The definition of dyslexia has changed to encompass ALL reading problems. They can be inherited or caused by environmental factors such as lack of language development in the early years. Obviously any child who attends school regularly should be at a minimum "functionally literate". If they are not - there is a serious disconnect in the brain - which can be remediated with specialized instruction. A child who is not reading at grade level or not passing an exit exam does not mean that student is illiterate Although that's often the stat that is used.

.I don't see how this is a racial issue, unless Maggie is suggesting that remediation is unavailable in many black schools. And she would probably be correct.

Nature/nurture

No, Maggie meant that ILLITERACY is GENETIC.

She based it on the term of "genetic literacy" which has NOTHING to do with the genetic ability to READ, but the level of knowledge people have about their family genetics.

She's a complete retard.

And I know all about dyslexia. ;)

So I see some of what she says because you copied it. First, I said "theoretically" ignorance could become genetically passed on, but of course AssieBabble intentionally misquoted me.

Now I'll ask some questions:

What about the couple who desperately wants a child to have a specific genetic profile with regard to looks AND intelligence? They go to a sperm bank and read resumes so that they can be better assured they'll get the perfect baby. Must be sperm banks put some measure of confidence in the fact that the sperm of a good looking man who also has a Ph.D in something would be a better choice than a good looking man who was a garbage collector.

What of religious beliefs that are passed on from generation to generation? How often do people switch from Catholic to Jewish? Religious preference is a mental conditioning that eventually becomes a genetic trait.

What about people who appear to be born evil? (And we know they exist...) Isn't that a genetic defect?

How about parents who beat their children? Hasn't research shown that they themselves were beaten as children? Again, is this not a genetic trait?

How often have you heard someone say "He inherited his father's temper"??

There is simply no question in my mind that one inherits a genetic code by association over time. It seems inconceivable that we would ONLY inherit physical tendencies. I don't mind a civil debate on this topic with anyone else, but I refuse to respond to someone who is apparently on a rampage on the subject for some weird reason.

I didn't have to misquote her because I provided a link to her own stupid doofedness.

Forum List

Back