Lucid Motors

There are a few noteworthy companies getting ready to launch electric vehicles, and one suspects that most of them will fail. I'm kinda watching Careers - Rivian.

The cars described in the link are a loooooooooong putt indeed. Not many customers are going to pony up a six figure price for an untested, unproven car, when there are established brands selling cars that have something behind them. THeir specs are great, but what is the actual added value when you go from a 250 mile range to 400? It's something but how much is it really?

The web site reminds me of something a late uncle of mine used to say—“If you can't impress them with facts, dazzle them with bullshit.”

The web site appears to be designed to dazzle, while providing very little actual information. I'm left with the impression that I really don't know much more about this company or its products than I did before I visited their web site, but there cannot be much substance behind either the company or the product, or else they would have presented more substance than they did.

That's just from a very terse visit. Perhaps there is some substantial useful information the site, but it's not apparent to a casual visitor.

Looks like a Hyundai.

The Corvette E-Ray prototype has been spotted...

Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-E-Ray-PHEV-Prototype-Spy-Shots-January-2020-002-768x512.jpg

Lucid Air Grand Touring: A phenomenal EV that shows the future is here

Alien technology is here.

That was my initial reaction after taking Lucid’s (LCID) Air sedan in my initial test drive, and that feeling stuck with me. The car is a remarkable package that makes it one of the most special cars on sale today — quite simply because it seems to come from some place other than Earth.

California-based Lucid began making powertrain components and battery packs for the Formula E electric racing series, so its technical chops and race-proven performance credentials are real.

The Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance

This technology and expertise has trickled down into the model offered for review, the Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance edition, notched right below the top of the Dream edition line, which were the first models that rolled off the assembly line at Lucid’s factory in Casagrande, Arizona.

In Air Grand Touring in Performance trim as tested, the car boasts a rather insane 1,050 hp with an range of 516 miles — higher than any other EV available.

Design principles and the California effect

On first blush the Lucid Air appears impossibly long and low to the ground. Though it looks stretched like a limo — such is the nature of its low-slung body and short roofline — it is no longer than a Mercedes E-class. It’s evocative of a coupe or a Porsche Panamera style sedan that features a low profile greenhouse.

Design-wise the Air might not be for everyone, but my test model in Cosmos silver with polished platinum-colored finishes on the roof gave it a refined look.

Its interior is where the Lucid really sets itself apart from competitors like the Tesla Model S.

Lucid has done a phenomenal job with materials and fit and finish. Nappa leather engulfs the cabin, along with a suede-like microfiber material on the dash and ceiling panels. Metal trim splits the dash horizontally and is also featured on the door handles and lower console.

(I thought ‘The Garage’ was about automotive topics)

Have you seen this new auto company? Wow!

I test drove one. Nicer build quality than a Tesla, and better power/range. A little cheaper. I give Lucid a couple of years until they are irrelevant.

Forum List

Back