Love this quote by a protestor

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

700 arrested after protest on NY?s Brooklyn Bridge - Boston.com

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

EiG4DEBVenvq4meyY17CxWJ6o1_400.jpg

Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

I think you have to go deeper than that.
The education debt is not really by choice now is it? The alternate is no education at all.
How about we address the fact that tuition is becoming absurd. Since the government began bankrolling college education for the masses - same as with the mortgage industry, it has created a false demand and therefore a bubble is becoming well established.
Schools are building new housing apartments like there is no tomorrow...building new wings on to existing buildings etc. etc. - all to accommodate a massive population of kids who have absolutely no business going to college.
Perhaps these two young adults were not among the kids who shouldn't be there - perhaps they belonged in college - but they have no choice in paying $20,000 a year - do they?

The education debt is not really by choice now is it?

Absolutely it's a choice.

Have they ever heard of working their way through college instead of taking out loans?
That's what I did.

No shit, they could have eaten rice and beans in college and been able to keep all the money they are now making sitting on the Wall Street.

The education debt is not really by choice now is it? The alternate is no education at all.
How about we address the fact that tuition is becoming absurd. Since the government began bankrolling college education for the masses - same as with the mortgage industry, it has created a false demand and therefore a bubble is becoming well established.
Schools are building new housing apartments like there is no tomorrow...building new wings on to existing buildings etc. etc. - all to accommodate a massive population of kids who have absolutely no business going to college.
Perhaps these two young adults were not among the kids who shouldn't be there - perhaps they belonged in college - but they have no choice in paying $20,000 a year - do they?

There are always choices.

The point is, even If you go to Columbia the job market is so shitty you can't get a good job.
But hey, way to attack the citizen and not Wall Street. When is the right going to wake up?

The point is, even If you go to Columbia the job market is so shitty you can't get a good job.
But hey, way to attack the citizen and not Wall Street. When is the right going to wake up?

And what's wrong with pointing out when the Citizen is wrong?

Why should Wall Street get the blame for his dumb actions and statements?

So they are dumb because they took out a loan for a college education, which is usually considered a good investment. They didn't say they are getting financial aid, they said they were getting a loan.
What if they said they were paying a mortgage? Would you think differently about this person?
What if this person was a tea party member?

The only problem here, is it is a college student who is taking a loan out to achieve the american dream.

Best Ivy League Schools By Salary Potential

Wouldn't a degree from a Ivy League school be a good investment? Well, at least before Wall Street drove us into a recession.

The point is the citizen is wrong.
But hey, way to blame the wrong people for the shitty economy and high cost of education.

So they are dumb because they took out a loan for a college education, which is usually considered a good investment. They didn't say they are getting financial aid, they said they were getting a loan.
What if they said they were paying a mortgage? Would you think differently about this person?

The only problem here, is it is a college student who is taking a loan out to achieve the american dream.

Wouldn't a degree from a Ivy League school be a good investment? Well, at least before Wall Street drove us into a recession.

It is not considered a good investment by anyone with a brain. They probably have a degrees in Elizabethan English.

It is not considered a good investment by anyone with a brain. They probably have a degrees in Elizabethan English.
So going to a school that is in the top 25 for graduate salary statistics is a bad investment?

One has to wonder if you guys think only rich people should get a Ivy League education, and have a better chance at earning a larger income.

My real point is, the only reason most have a problem with this person is they are a college student. If it was a tea party member with a home mortgage it would be a different story.

Wasn't it the tea party, and the right that made a big deal about the bail outs?

The point is the citizen is wrong.
But hey, way to blame the wrong people for the shitty economy and high cost of education.

So Wall Street had nothing to do with getting us into a recession? I think anyone with a brain would know they did.

Oh! I forgot, the right puts most of the blame on teachers unions and welfare moms.

Wall Street shouldn't get the blame for the actions of some individual.

But the financial industry SHOULD get blame for being part of this machine which took us over the edge. And the funny thing is, when I talk to my colleagues on Wall Street about this, they basically all agree. They just don't agree on how to resolve it. But we all know we fucked up. The average citizen should be pissed off.

Have they ever heard of working their way through college instead of taking out loans?
That's what I did.

Same here.

I'll openly admit I didn't 'have to' work my way through college. However, I did work. Not to pay my tuition, but most certainly to pay for food, rent and shit. Surprisingly, it did not kill me. It gave me an understanding of the value of money. And I am thankful for that education.

The quote sounds like something Swallow would say

:confused:

Being upset at being unemployed or under employed as a pretty direct result of Wall Street's actions is a bad thing?

New Topics

Forum List

Back