Lost my wife of 47 years to cancer tonight.

BY EMILY DICKINSON
Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed Us –
The Dews drew quivering and Chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity –

My wife and I have been a couple since 1968. I hope I go first. Love to you.
1610812665194.png

Last edited:
We’re like a big dysfunctional family on USMB, and I wanted everyone here to know.
Sorry to hear.
I haven't really gone public yet, but now I will. Wife just had double mastectomy and prognosis is good. She will avoid chemotherapy and radiation and just do hormone therapy. Still has more reconstructive surgery in the next few months. She is 44.
Been a bummer of a holiday season.

2020 went out with an explosion it seems, hopefully 2021 will be better for her and you - glad her prognosis is good!

Lost my mom a week ago, not the same as losing your wife, but I still know how your feel buddy.

I'm sorry to hear that Uncensored...my Mom is 86 almost 87, I can't begin to imagine losing her, we are very close, hugs to you :smiliehug:

We’re like a big dysfunctional family on USMB, and I wanted everyone here to know.
Sorry to hear.
I haven't really gone public yet, but now I will. Wife just had double mastectomy and prognosis is good. She will avoid chemotherapy and radiation and just do hormone therapy. Still has more reconstructive surgery in the next few months. She is 44.

2020 went out with an explosion it seems, hopefully 2021 will be better for her and you - glad her prognosis is good!
Thank you, and all well wishers.
51ALjaIW1qL._AC_SX569_.jpg

So sorry for your loss Cellblock.
I know what you are going through.
I lost Mr. P from heart disease in June of last year. We were married for 37 yrs.

You will go through many emotions all at once
and it can become overwhelming.
We all are here for you if you need help working through them.
But good friend's and family will help get you through it.
My best advise is to keep yourself busy.

Sorry to hear.
Sorry to hear, but she did the right thing with the mastectomy. It's running on the female side of my family, but none have died from it yet (sister is in her second battle with it). Thank God medical understanding and technology has gotten better and better over the years, but it appears that we've still got alot more work to do in the battling it dept.. God bless your family during these trying times, and keep looking up (more so than ever in each days passing), no matter what life brings, because in the end we win.
Prayers up for your sister in her second battle against breast cancer, and I hope she wins. :hands:

So sorry for your loss Cellblock.
I know what you are going through.
I lost Mr. P from heart disease in June of last year. We were married for 37 yrs.

You will go through many emotions all at once
and it can become overwhelming.
We all are here for you if you need help working through them.
But good friend's and family will help get you through it.
My best advise is to keep yourself busy.

Dear Ms, Peach. Hope you're doing okay. :huddle:

Forum List

Back