Lost Love/Lust.. the ones that got away

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not complaining, I have far more than I could have hoped for but sometimes you kind of wonder about the ones that got away or you let slip through your fingers.

I recall one in particular, a beautiful auburn haired bomb shell, 5ft 7 and perfect in every detail. We met at college and immediate fireworks began. Lets just say.. hot..hot..hot .. and here there and everywhere. Sheez.. well after about a month she dropped me to go off and marry her long time love awaiting her in Hawaii.. I tell ya .. women , I felt used but abundantly satisfied..but alas I still wonder..

----------------------------------:eusa_boohoo:

1. Washington Irving
Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.

2. Otomo No Yakamochi
Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

3. Anonymous
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop.

4. Jean Anouilh
There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy.

5. Alfred Lord Tennyson
'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

6. Kahlil Gibran
Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

7. Margaret Mitchell
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.

8. G. K. Chesterton
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.

9. Samuel Butler
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all.

10. Socrates
The hottest love has the coldest end.

Lost Love Quotes: Top 10 Lost Love Quotes

Last edited:
I didn't really date much,mostly because the two major relationships in my life lasted for many years. But I can think of three.

#1 Dated for about 6 mos my freshman year of high school. Great guy,but at the time he was too clingy (not really the word I was looking for but...). Used to walk me to all my classes,to the bus stop before and after school, call me the second I got home etc. After we stopped going out...it took awhile, but we became pretty good friends and he would visit me at work or just come by sometimes. He is the one guy that always brings a smile to my face when someone mentions his name.

#2 Another great guy...had a huge crush on him for many years. We never dated though, I think mostly because of the timing. He was dating someone or I was. Did go to the movies,the mall and a ball game as friends. We also did write to each other a lot ( he moved to Texas, and then later was in the Navy). We gradually lost contact. I think about him sometimes too.

#3 Same kind of situation,went out a few times when he would come home from college during the summer months( kept contact via letters during the year),but didn't really have a relationship. He was a great baseball player,and I used to love to go with him and watch his games when he played in a city league.

This probably falls more into the "summer romances" category than the "lost loves" category. In any event . . .

I was 17. I was also an Explorer Scout (Boy Scouts of America). Each year, our troop went to the High Sierras for a one-week camping trip at Horseshoe Lake in the Mammoth Lakes region. It was the first day of our trip. I was down on the shore of Horseshoe Lake, just messing around, all by myself. Along came this family - Mom, Dad and their two children. One of them (her name was Marilyn) was a perky looking blonde who looked to be about my age. Turned out, she was a year or so older than I.

As they came strolling by, I engaged Marilyn in conversation. We chatted and in a very short period of time I learned that (1) I was very attracted to her and (2) they were camped at Lake Mary, several miles away from where we were camped.

That night, my dad let me borrow his car (he was the Scoutmaster) and I drove down to Lake Mary to see if I could locate Marilyn's camp site. I did - she had given pretty detailed directions. We strolled around for a while and then found ourselves on this bridge. It was completely dark, but there was a full moon. It was obvious that she wanted me to kiss her, so I did.

That started a week of sunshine and youthful romance I remember to this day and, believe me, a long, LONG time has passed since then. I totally abandoned any connection with my scout troop. God bless him, dad let me go. Every day Marilyn and I would hike here and there, all over the Mammoth Lakes area. I was head over heels in love.

Then it was over - as suddenly as it had begun, which seems to be the way with things such as this. She went back home to Menlo Park and I returned to my home in Southern California. For several weeks, we exchanged lengthy and loving letters. Then I got a letter from her confessing that she was "betrothed" to her long time boyfriend named Gil, and they were planning on getting married.

I was heartbroken, of course. But I got over it. And the memories of that wonderful week in the High Sierras will remain with me the rest of my life.

I never saw her again. But within the past year, I got to wondering if I could find her on the Internet. I knew her full (maiden) name and her high school. By golly, I WAS able to find her. I accessed a lengthy bio she had written for some book that some guy had written about their high school graduating class. In it, she wrote of her marriage to, and divorce from, her first husband (Gil). I had to chuckle when she mentioned that, among his many faults, Gil was "insanely jealous." Looking back, I guess he probably had good reason to be, since, as you may recall, she was about to be married to him during our summer romance.

I was able to learn her present married name, (she married a second time - this one stuck)as well as her address and phone number. I debated about calling her but decided against it. It would be most interesting to talk with her after so many decades - to see if she even would remember me (I like to think she would). But I decided against it. Best to let this one lie. Besides, no spouse is overjoyed with old boyfriends (or girlfriends) popping in from out of the dim and distant past.

When did all of this happen? I'm not talking - but "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds was near the top of the Hit Parade. For some reason, whenever I hear that song, it always reminds me of those wonderful, sunny afternoons in the High Sierras for one week in August, so very long ago.

Last edited:
This probably falls more into the "summer romances" category than the "lost loves" category. In any event . . .

I was 17. I was also an Explorer Scout (Boy Scouts of America). Each year, our troop went to the High Sierras for a one-week camping trip at Horseshoe Lake in the Mammoth Lakes region. It was the first day of our trip. I was down on the shore of Horseshoe Lake, just messing around, all by myself. Along came this family - Mom, Dad and their two children. One of them (her name was Marilyn) was a perky looking blonde who looked to be about my age. Turned out, she was a year or so older than I.

As they came strolling by, I engaged Marilyn in conversation. We chatted and in a very short period of time I learned that (1) I was very attracted to her and (2) they were camped at Lake Mary, several miles away from where we were camped.

That night, my dad let me borrow his car (he was the Scoutmaster) and I drove down to Lake Mary to see if I could locate Marilyn's camp site. I did - she had given pretty detailed directions. We strolled around for a while and then found ourselves on this bridge. It was completely dark, but there was a full moon. It was obvious that she wanted me to kiss her, so I did.

That started a week of sunshine and youthful romance I remember to this day and, believe me, a long, LONG time has passed since then. I totally abandoned any connection with my scout troop. God bless him, dad let me go. Every day Marilyn and I would hike here and there, all over the Mammoth Lakes area. I was head over heels in love.

Then it was over - as suddenly as it had begun, which seems to be the way with things such as this. She went back home to Menlo Park and I returned to my home in Southern California. For several weeks, we exchanged lengthy and loving letters. Then I got a letter from her confessing that she was "betrothed" to her long time boyfriend named Gil, and they were planning on getting married.

I was heartbroken, of course. But I got over it. And the memories of that wonderful week in the High Sierras will remain with me the rest of my life.

I never saw her again. But within the past year, I got to wondering if I could find her on the Internet. I knew her full (maiden) name and her high school. By golly, I WAS able to find her. I accessed a lengthy bio she had written for some book that some guy had written about their high school graduating class. In it, she wrote of her marriage to, and divorce from, her first husband (Gil). I had to chuckle when she mentioned that, among his many faults, Gil was "insanely jealous." Looking back, I guess he probably had good reason to be, since, as you may recall, she was about to be married to him during our summer romance.

I was able to learn her present married name, (she married a second time - this one stuck)as well as her address and phone number. I debated about calling her but decided against it. It would be most interesting to talk with her after so many decades - to see if she even would remember me (I like to think she would). But I decided against it. Best to let this one lie. Besides, no spouse is overjoyed with old boyfriends (or girlfriends) popping in from out of the dim and distant past.

When did all of this happen? I'm not talking - but "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds was near the top of the Hit Parade. For some reason, whenever I hear that song, it always reminds me of those wonderful, sunny afternoons in the High Sierras for one week in August, so very long ago.

Great story .. well written

Nice story! Sounds like you two had a wonderful time together...bet she does remember that trip. Those are the kind of sentimental memories women will pull out of the past, and daydream about later on in life. You will probably be a thoughtful smile on her face that someone will ask about someday. ;)

Great story .. well written

Nice story! Sounds like you two had a wonderful time together...bet she does remember that trip. Those are the kind of sentimental memories women will pull out of the past, and daydream about later on in life. You will probably be a thoughtful smile on her face that someone will ask about someday. ;)

Thanks to both of you. Hope you enjoyed reading about it. Obviously, I sure enjoyed living it.

BTW - this was the 1950's at a time when good girls didn't go all the way until after they were married. She was a good girl, in spite of her roving eye. So don't conjure up any visions of something that - fortunately or unfortunately - never happened.

It was still a perfect week.

Wow George..

I really enjoyed reading that..

I can probably guess that an event like that will be remembered forever, for both of you..

I don't carry a torch for anyone. It was fun seeing a few old boyfriends at my high school reunion, but when I think back, I was pretty much into bad boys in my younger days. When I decided it was time to settle down, I picked just the opposite. It was a choice I don't regret.

Now my next husband will be..... lol

For some reason I sense the unseen and mysterious presence of restraining orders in this thread.

I am a medium.

Have you lost a love?

Ah hell, it is nothing a good imagination can not cure with some masturbationary power. (I claim copywrite on, in and for the word masturbationary).

Just do not look behind the curtain when you are worshiping the Mighty Wizard of Oz.

Last edited:

What a great story!

I'm not complaining, I have far more than I could have hoped for but sometimes you kind of wonder about the ones that got away or you let slip through your fingers.

I recall one in particular, a beautiful auburn haired bomb shell, 5ft 7 and perfect in every detail. We met at college and immediate fireworks began. Lets just say.. hot..hot..hot .. and here there and everywhere. Sheez.. well after about a month she dropped me to go off and marry her long time love awaiting her in Hawaii.. I tell ya .. women , I felt used but abundantly satisfied..but alas I still wonder..

1. Washington Irving
Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.

2. Otomo No Yakamochi
Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

3. Anonymous

4. Jean Anouilh

5. Alfred Lord Tennyson

6. Kahlil Gibran
Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

7. Margaret Mitchell
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.

8. G. K. Chesterton

9. Samuel Butler

10. Socrates

The ones that get away, Lumpy 1, are the ones I send on their way...:lol: And we are all richer for the experience.

1. Washington Irving

2. Otomo No Yakamochi

3. Anonymous

4. Jean Anouilh

5. Alfred Lord Tennyson

6. Kahlil Gibran

7. Margaret Mitchell

8. G. K. Chesterton

9. Samuel Butler

10. Socrates

The ones that get away, Lumpy 1, are the ones I send on their way...:lol: And we are all richer for the experience.

No regrets....:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back