Losing a pet is hard

It had been over 20 years since I lost a dog. We lost our oldest over the weekend after being struck by a car.
I really didn't expect this to hit me as hard it has. I feel like I let our pooch down. :(

hugs.

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it is to loose a beloved pet.

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

It had been over 20 years since I lost a dog. We lost our oldest over the weekend after being struck by a car.
I really didn't expect this to hit me as hard it has. I feel like I let our pooch down. :(

OMG, I am so, so sorry. *hugs* Losing a pet is the worst thing in the world except for losing a friend or family member... because for most of us, our pets are our friends and members of our family.

I have grieved the loss of every one of my pets on a visceral level. Couldn't really eat for days, cried until my skin dried out and flaked. It just tears my guts out. My heart goes out to you. :(

Yeah.........losing a pet sucks.

I had to put my friend Cement Big Cat (freaking cat was HUGE) down this spring because he'd broken his pelvis.

Probably the only pet where I held them in my hands when they came into this world and also held him when he left.

I feel for ya man.

I have 15 dogs I have rescued, all sizes and very friendly, please feel free to have one or more, they need a good home with loving parents.
Is that Arkansas you live in?

Last edited:
Oh Fuel, I'm so, so sorry. We lost one of our cats the same way when he was nearly 20 years old. It's never easy and no words can ease the pain. Just know that others are thinking of you right now. Hang in there. :)

((((F))))

My heart wraps around you today, my sweet friend. Why do we find a way to think we let our loved ones down, when they leave our lives. It just seems to be that way so often. I hope you can try to think of those many, many times when you saw that little pooch happy and having fun and love, with his or her family. Those are the times that matter, my darling. Those and the memories....More ((((F))))

AquaAthena

Cry for 5 minutes straight. Then move on and get a new one. They are all great. Heck, get two of them.

We were on vacation last week and received a call from the woman watching our dog that she had run away. We packed up and rushed home and spent the next three days searching for her. It is like losing a child. Everything reminds you of her and you can't think of life without her
Thankfully, we received a call from the police that someone spotted a stray dog in their neighborhood and we found her

Sorry man. It's like losing family.
It is for us, too. We've lost three. It's never good, unless they're in gross pain, then you're sorry on several levels.

Last edited:

Some forget-me-nots for your loved pet. They were my mother's favorites.

forgetmenots-field-comp.jpg

credits

Forum List

Back