Looks like Microsoft

Too late...
The real backlash started when Ubuntu tried the first "one size fits all" approach with Unity, Microsoft didn't learn from Ubuntu's mistake and tried the same thing with Windows 8. We know how well that went over, they somewhat changed it with Win 10 bringing back at least a version of the old Start Menu with Tiles attached because a lot of people liked that.
You want the old Win 7 or XP style Start Menu? Buy and download Startisback for $4 and no more Windows 10 Start Menu. Get Win10Apps for free to uninstall all the bloatware that MS hasn't already removed and get Winaero's free Windows Tweaker to take care of just about everything else. I've spent about the same amount of time configuring my Linux distos as I have my Windows machines and all the games I like play on Windows but not on my Linux.

The only reason I keep a machine with Widoze on it anymore...It's my gamer.
Well good for you...... :dunno:
Look, everything changes we change with it or not. I'm learning that despite some things I don't like Win 10 is a good, solid operating system but I'm also using equipment that is relatively new so I don't have the upgrade issues many have with older machines and drivers. Besides I have Windows driver update turned off, I update my own drivers, problem solved, I also have telemetry completely disabled. I use a Local Account to log in so I'm not signed into Microsoft unless I choose to be and Cortana doesn't run at all on my machines.
Win 10 is better than when it started which was almost Nazi'sk in it's approach.
It was horrible.
Today, it is better. My main issues with it is slow boot up, comparatively, and the annoying signon page that fairly often messes up with our laptop. Not sure of it is Win 10 or the HP laptop. Fairly often you open the laptop...the sign on blur page appears...you login and then suddenly it goes to sleep again... apparently we are not alone in this.
Other than that, using Winaero it is quite usable.

Is really learning to play well with others. And listening to the end users, in this instance pretty much from watching the Edge market share tumble like a boulder rolling down a mountain over the last few years.

The new Edge Chromium to be released January 15th is a radical change for Microsoft and potentially a good thing for end users.

The new Edge browser is faster and more reliable than ever

I think this is a good deal honestly. It will force both sides to remain competitive.

Anything that operates better in Edge, will naturally be replicated in Chromium. It's safe to assume such replications will filter through Chrome products eventually.

Equally, whatever innovations on the Chrome side, will naturally filter into Edge.

And of course, we can assume that all innovations on either side, will force the rest of the market to maintain parity.

So this can only be a good long term benefit for all customers.

At first I was completely against this, because of my unique dislike of all things Microsoft. But the more I considered the market effects, it is nearly impossible to see how this would be bad.

No
Quite the opposite.
It literally reinforces Google's control.
It s more like "if you can't beat em' join em'.
And that is what Microsoft is doing. Instead of employing X number of employees and resources in a losing battle against Chrome... they threw in the towel and joined up.
In as little as 2 years one company will control 99% plus of the worlds internet experience. Including the ability to throttle/censor and direct information.
That is a terrifically bad thing.

Not sure you're not over exaggerating here. Even Google is aware that such control could bring about potential violent backlashes, with any luck they're smart enough not to go down that road.

As of July, Google enjoyed 88.61% of the global search market share. One company. Almost 90%. Of the entire world.
Bing will end. Sooner than later. As you point out, Steve Balmer is gone, and with him also left the monumental arrogance and wasting $100's millions on projects and propping up failed ideas. Bing is one of those failures. It barely exists.
When it dies, Google will gain another 3%, making them control just over 92%.
Google controls what you see, most of the time, primarily by who pays them the most money to appear towards the top of what you are searching for.
That information may even be false, or at best misleading. The internet is how people get information overwhelmingly. And having one company, which is controlled by a hand full of board members...means literally a handful of people currently controls 90% of what people see when they search on the internet.

Bing goes away and I'll use Duck Duck Go more than I do now...Have as much google as practicable disabled on my phone...Never liked google that much from the beginning.

Oh God, at first Google was the f*cking bomb. I hated most other browsers... never liked Yahoo! and certainly not MSN... AOL was God awful etc.
They all sucked. And then came this beautiful thing. A screen with nothing more than the search bar. LOVED it. And it's speed destroyed everyone else. It wasn't even close. But alas... then it became a public traded global company and then everything became about $$$ and the beauty gave way to a tightly controlled search result by the top bidder.
And BTW...just sayin... you realize duckduckgo is built on Google. If Google shut down...DDG would be out of business immediately.

The real backlash started when Ubuntu tried the first "one size fits all" approach with Unity, Microsoft didn't learn from Ubuntu's mistake and tried the same thing with Windows 8. We know how well that went over, they somewhat changed it with Win 10 bringing back at least a version of the old Start Menu with Tiles attached because a lot of people liked that.
You want the old Win 7 or XP style Start Menu? Buy and download Startisback for $4 and no more Windows 10 Start Menu. Get Win10Apps for free to uninstall all the bloatware that MS hasn't already removed and get Winaero's free Windows Tweaker to take care of just about everything else. I've spent about the same amount of time configuring my Linux distos as I have my Windows machines and all the games I like play on Windows but not on my Linux.

Look, everything changes we change with it or not. I'm learning that despite some things I don't like Win 10 is a good, solid operating system but I'm also using equipment that is relatively new so I don't have the upgrade issues many have with older machines and drivers. Besides I have Windows driver update turned off, I update my own drivers, problem solved, I also have telemetry completely disabled. I use a Local Account to log in so I'm not signed into Microsoft unless I choose to be and Cortana doesn't run at all on my machines.
Well, when the day comes that I need to get an updated machine with MS on it, I'll keep this thread bookmarked so I can make most of the tweaks I want to make it as familiar as possible.

Thanks for all the info. :)

Too late...

Win 10 is better than when it started which was almost Nazi'sk in it's approach.
It was horrible.
Today, it is better. My main issues with it is slow boot up, comparatively, and the annoying signon page that fairly often messes up with our laptop. Not sure of it is Win 10 or the HP laptop. Fairly often you open the laptop...the sign on blur page appears...you login and then suddenly it goes to sleep again... apparently we are not alone in this.
My bootup is fast even after taking out the apparently faulty M.2 drive and falling back on the fairly old HDD. I have no issue with the sign-on page and that can be changed with Winaero if I wanted to.
My primary message in the OP is that it would appear Microsoft is finally listening, pretty sure that was MS ultimately dumping all the old guard who resisted the idea that Microsoft could go the way of the dodo if they didn't change.

I think this is a good deal honestly. It will force both sides to remain competitive.

Anything that operates better in Edge, will naturally be replicated in Chromium. It's safe to assume such replications will filter through Chrome products eventually.

Equally, whatever innovations on the Chrome side, will naturally filter into Edge.

And of course, we can assume that all innovations on either side, will force the rest of the market to maintain parity.

So this can only be a good long term benefit for all customers.

At first I was completely against this, because of my unique dislike of all things Microsoft. But the more I considered the market effects, it is nearly impossible to see how this would be bad.
No
Quite the opposite.
And that is what Microsoft is doing. Instead of employing X number of employees and resources in a losing battle against Chrome... they threw in the towel and joined up.
In as little as 2 years one company will control 99% plus of the worlds internet experience. Including the ability to throttle/censor and direct information.
Not sure you're not over exaggerating here. Even Google is aware that such control could bring about potential violent backlashes, with any luck they're smart enough not to go down that road.

As of July, Google enjoyed 88.61% of the global search market share. One company. Almost 90%. Of the entire world.
Bing will end. Sooner than later. As you point out, Steve Balmer is gone, and with him also left the monumental arrogance and wasting $100's millions on projects and propping up failed ideas. Bing is one of those failures. It barely exists.
Google controls what you see, most of the time, primarily by who pays them the most money to appear towards the top of what you are searching for.
That information may even be false, or at best misleading. The internet is how people get information overwhelmingly. And having one company, which is controlled by a hand full of board members...means literally a handful of people currently controls 90% of what people see when they search on the internet.
Bing goes away and I'll use Duck Duck Go more than I do now...Have as much google as practicable disabled on my phone...Never liked google that much from the beginning.
Oh God, at first Google was the f*cking bomb. I hated most other browsers... never liked Yahoo! and certainly not MSN... AOL was God awful etc.
They all sucked. And then came this beautiful thing. A screen with nothing more than the search bar. LOVED it. And it's speed destroyed everyone else. It wasn't even close. But alas... then it became a public traded global company and then everything became about $$$ and the beauty gave way to a tightly controlled search result by the top bidder.
And BTW...just sayin... you realize duckduckgo is built on Google. If Google shut down...DDG would be out of business immediately.
I would bounce between Yayhoo! and Google and compare the results...Even used a lot of Lycos back then.

Too late...

It was horrible.
My bootup is fast even after taking out the apparently faulty M.2 drive and falling back on the fairly old HDD. I have no issue with the sign-on page and that can be changed with Winaero if I wanted to.
My primary message in the OP is that it would appear Microsoft is finally listening, pretty sure that was MS ultimately dumping all the old guard who resisted the idea that Microsoft could go the way of the dodo if they didn't change.
On the same note...truly fascinating to me, is what possible reason did M$ keep Balmer for so long? I mean just how many abysmal failures was he allowed to make?
I remember a video some years back when they started Zune, and he so confidently scoffed at a comment made about how was Zune going to compete... he honestly believed it would take over because it was Microsoft. It didn't occur to him it wouldn't.
Certainly one of the worst CEO's of all time.

No
Quite the opposite.

I would bounce between Yayhoo! and Google and compare the results...Even used a lot of Lycos back then.
ugh... hated Yahoo!
I distinctly remember being so pissed off during the days of dialup waiting on yahoo to load the 100 photos on it's homepage when all I wanted was to look something up.
Google was a Godsend. It truly was. You could literally do 2-3 searches and be done by the time it took yahoo load the front page. :D.

ugh... hated Yahoo!
I distinctly remember being so pissed off during the days of dialup waiting on yahoo to load the 100 photos on it's homepage when all I wanted was to look something up.
Google was a Godsend. It truly was. You could literally do 2-3 searches and be done by the time it took yahoo load the front page. :D.
Yeah, I remember that was when I steered to Firefox with Adblocker....Cleaned that shit up on Yayhoo! pronto.

Lycos was clean like Google too....Holy Shit, I just looked...They're still around! Lycos.com

Too late...

It was horrible.
On the same note...truly fascinating to me, is what possible reason did M$ keep Balmer for so long? I mean just how many abysmal failures was he allowed to make?
I remember a video some years back when they started Zune, and he so confidently scoffed at a comment made about how was Zune going to compete... he honestly believed it would take over because it was Microsoft. It didn't occur to him it wouldn't.
The Microsoft culture at the time was still a culture of arrogance just like our auto manufacturers in the 70s and early 80s, they thought they ruled the markets and were untouchable.

Too late...
It was horrible.
The Microsoft culture at the time was still a culture of arrogance just like our auto manufacturers in the 70s and early 80s, they thought they ruled the markets and were untouchable.
To be fair to the auto manufacturers, that was the point where the feds started heaping CAFE standards on them.....It was also the point in time where the products of foreign auto manufacturers, rebuilt largely from the Marshall Plan, could be supplied in large enough numbers to the US market to compete...The day of the world being forced to rely on the US for industrial goods was dying.

MS only had to deal with their own hubris.

Too late...
It was horrible.
To be fair to the auto manufacturers, that was the point where the feds started heaping CAFE standards on them.....It was also the point in time where the products of foreign auto manufacturers, rebuilt largely from the Marshall Plan, could be supplied in large enough numbers to the US market to compete...The day of the world being forced to rely on the US for industrial goods was dying.

MS only had to deal with their own hubris.
There was still an arrogance with the auto manufacturing in this country. They were approached by a few individuals who saw the writing on the wall and recommended necessary changes, primarily management changes, changes that would have mitigated the market blows. Those individuals were literally scoffed at, laughed at and sent packing.

Last edited:
ugh... hated Yahoo!
Yeah, I remember that was when I steered to Firefox with Adblocker....Cleaned that shit up on Yayhoo! pronto.

Lycos was clean like Google too....Holy Shit, I just looked...They're still around! Lycos.com
Dogpile.com

If MS really gave a hoot in hell about what their customers wanted, they would have continued improving XP.
Dude, really? Why would you use a horse and buggy in this day and age........?
I don't....You know I'm Linux guy.

Notwithstanding that, XP worked great, was totally stable, and people loved it.....Why reinvent the wheel?

While true, XP was also having trouble keeping up with modern tech. I was reading about adding more hardware and CPU support, was making the existing code bloated.

The reality is, at some point you really do have to start over from scratch. It just is, what it is.

If you really are a Linux guy, then I would assume you know this. When you keep adding and adding and adding to code, with new revision after new revision, you can unfortunately end up with massive encyclopedia of code, where some of the code written by retired programmers, no one has any idea what it does anymore.

Sometimes you need to just start over.

You are right that XP was a good version. I used it up 2013 when I started using Win 7, which I used until 2017.
That said, Windows 10 is better than I expected it to be. So I am not entirely disappointed.
It’s called spaghetti code; MS was famous for it.

If MS really gave a hoot in hell about what their customers wanted, they would have continued improving XP.

Notwithstanding that, XP worked great, was totally stable, and people loved it.....Why reinvent the wheel?

While true, XP was also having trouble keeping up with modern tech. I was reading about adding more hardware and CPU support, was making the existing code bloated.

The reality is, at some point you really do have to start over from scratch. It just is, what it is.

If you really are a Linux guy, then I would assume you know this. When you keep adding and adding and adding to code, with new revision after new revision, you can unfortunately end up with massive encyclopedia of code, where some of the code written by retired programmers, no one has any idea what it does anymore.

You are right that XP was a good version. I used it up 2013 when I started using Win 7, which I used until 2017.
That said, Windows 10 is better than I expected it to be. So I am not entirely disappointed.

Yes. I suspect this is because they had so many different programmers working on different aspects of the operating system, that it was easier to simply link to other portions of code, rather than having a unified structure to the code.

Yes. I suspect this is because they had so many different programmers working on different aspects of the operating system, that it was easier to simply link to other portions of code, rather than having a unified structure to the code.
The poisonous touch of the MBA...
9 women can give birth in 1 month.

I've had Edge Beta installed a few months now, the new Chrome engine Edge, and I've not had a problem with it so far. Runs fast and installs the addons I run and use well.

Of course, their entire layout still sucks, but that is likely because I haven't used MSIE since the late '90s, so I may just need to get used to it again.

Forum List

Back