Looking for a DA 22 lr revolver

I would buy it over the Ruger wrangler in a heart beat. Owned the wrangler for six months for a while. It had a poorly designed loading gate that was a “ pain” using as it cut into your thumb and was very stiff to use. The aux .22 mag is a no brainer. Now, the convertible Ruger six imo, is better, but not worth the $$$ as this brand seems very reliable.
Traded the wrangler for a power battery powered hand tool .
I've seen side by side comparisons of the Wangler and the Rough Rider, almost everyone picked the Rough Rider over the Wrangler. I have handled both and liked the feel of the RR best, wanted one with a bird heads grip until I handled it.

No it is not stupid. I don’t buy automobiles that don’t have a the best reputation for reliability either. If
you want to “ collect “ less reliable automobiles or firearms for other reasons, that’s fine. We all do things like that during our lives. You get what you pay for more often then not. Heck, just because it’s cheap and expendable, you might want a Taurus for that reason…..especially if it’s infrequently used. That’s your decision.

Yeah, once again, no shit. I buy whatever I want. I have the money to do so. I buy what I like.

But comparing a 400 vs a 1000 dollar gun is asinine.

I've seen side by side comparisons of the Wangler and the Rough Rider, almost everyone picked the Rough Rider over the Wrangler. I have handled both and liked the feel of the RR best, wanted one with a bird heads grip until I handled it.

I don't like Ruger revolvers. They are too large because of tbe manufacturing method. I have a lot of Colt SAA's. I love them because they feel perfect in my hand.

I also agree about birds head grips, they suck.

I don't like the Bisley grip either.

While the DA .22 market is pretty thin friends don't let friends buy a Taurus revolver.....Period, end of story.

I'd go with the Ruger Wrangler (I own two) if price is a consideration as they work. They are far and away superior to the Rough Rider in every respect that counts. You lose nothing in the fact that it's only available in .22 LR either.

You can find you a much nicer used S&W DA Model 17 or 18 for around double what a Tracker would cost.....I picked the Model 17 up for around $425.00 and the Model 18 for $650.00 in the last year or so.

2 003 (2).JPG

I took a rather distressed (finish wise) Ruger Single Six and cut it down to 4.75" and it's turned into a fine knockabout field .22 that I don't have to worry about.....I gave $150.00 for the revolver and put $125.00 worth of smith work into it.

There are deals to be had but you have to put in the work to find them and have cash in hand when you do. ;)

2 001 (2).JPG

Yeah, once again, no shit. I buy whatever I want. I have the money to do so. I buy what I like.

Not always, especially it the expensive gun is a piece of crap compared to the much cheaper one.

I don't like Ruger revolvers. They are too large because of tbe manufacturing method. I have a lot of Colt SAA's. I love them because they feel perfect in my hand.

I also agree about birds head grips, they suck.

I don't like the Bisley grip either.
The LCR line has completely eliminated the “too large” problem. No other company in the business responds to their customer wish list like Ruger does with quality well engineered firearms at a fair price.,

Imo, they may not produce the very best firearms ( except their game hunting rifles are among the very best) , but no company offers the variety they do With reliability second to none. I never buy a new firearm with first checking Ruger for their offerings and then using it as a bench mark. Yes, an sp101 is a little heavy vs other snubbys . but it’s still the most shootable sub nose in a .357 revolver you can buy after decades. There is nothing in the Taurus line that comes close to Ruger offerings…..let alone S&W.

Btw, 400 vs 1000 is made up comparison. On,y the S& W line is over priced. Rutgers are far closer to Taurus price wise. And their engineering. and quality is far superior.

Btw, 400 vs 1000 is made up comparison. On,y the S& W line is over priced. Rutgers are far closer to Taurus price wise. And their engineering. and quality is far superior.

Not really. My S&W consistently outshoots high end target pistols.

You get what you pay for.

The wrangler is a cast alloy copy of the Single Six. It’s strong and is accurate and should be very reliable. But, it’s no single Six and the function is nothing to cheer about. . . But it’s just fills a nitch for a beginner reliable gun at bargain basement price.

The LCR line has completely eliminated the “too large” problem. No other company in the business responds to their customer wish list like Ruger does with quality well engineered firearms at a fair price.,

Imo, they may not produce the very best firearms ( except their game hunting rifles are among the very best) , but no company offers the variety they do With reliability second to none. I never buy a new firearm with first checking Ruger for their offerings and then using it as a bench mark. Yes, an sp101 is a little heavy vs other snubbys . but it’s still the most shootable sub nose in a .357 revolver you can buy after decades. There is nothing in the Taurus line that comes close to Ruger offerings…..let alone S&W.
I really tried to like the LCR but never warmed to it, I even bought one (3") with the hammer option and soon sold it off.

I guess I was spoiled too many years with my 1970 Colt Cobra and it remains my EDC. For some reason that makes no sense a Colt snubby shoots "longer" for me. I can shoot it as well as a 4" S&W.

I've been tempted to try a .22 LCR but I can't see it replacing even my old High Standard Sentinel. That and it's flat-out fugly lookin'....It looks as if it was built mostly as a afterthought.

OIP.RNL4nn6hUE_wa_BFV2uVgwHaFc

The wrangler is a cast alloy copy of the Single Six. It’s strong and is accurate and should be very reliable. But, it’s no single Six and the function is nothing to cheer about. . . But it’s just fills a nitch for a beginner reliable gun at bargain basement price.
The trigger-pull can be cut by half by simply dropping one leg of the trigger spring off it stud. It's a simple as taking off one side of the grip and dropping a leg off.

w 001 (2).JPG

It's a old Blackhawk trick but unlike the Blackhawk you don't have to worry about light primer strikes. You can do the same to the New Model Single-Six too.

I'm happy for it and all Ruger fanbois but I'll still take the Rough Rider.

The reason I cut down a Single-Six was because I sorta wanted a Barkeep but could not get past the fact that it was still a Heritage....Well that and you have to use the supplied stick to push the empties.

OP you might look around for a vintage High Standard DA 9-shot revolver, they can even be had that look like a SA revolver but are double action....In fact my first .22 revolver was a H-S Hombre.

I've been looking for a H-S Posse for years but I've not seen one in the wild....Same as the Hombre but with a inch shorter barrel.
92197b15a3cf67738ec85d8106bc9141.jpg

Not really. My S&W consistently outshoots high end target pistols.

You get what you pay for.
Exactly.
Maybe we weren’t clear. Ruger makers two versions of the single action .22.:
The wrangler would not be my preference over the RR. It’s also a better bang for the buck over the convertible .22:from Ruger. But is it better ?

I really tried to like the LCR but never warmed to it, I even bought one (3") with the hammer option and soon sold it off.

I guess I was spoiled too many years with my 1970 Colt Cobra and it remains my EDC. For some reason that makes no sense a Colt snubby shoots "longer" for me. I can shoot it as well as a 4" S&W.

I've been tempted to try a .22 LCR but I can't see it replacing even my old High Standard Sentinel. That and it's flat-out fugly lookin'....It looks as if it was built mostly as a afterthought.

OIP.RNL4nn6hUE_wa_BFV2uVgwHaFc
I had both an LCR in 9mm and an S&W air weight, and like you couldn’t warm up to it though in some respects it was better then the .38 SW for both trigger pull and carry. But, the .38 had more ammo options from +p to wad cutter target loads. Neither is fun to shoot in the upper end loads. So I traded the Ruger. They are light weight firearms and imo, meant more for carry and occasional use over range shooting.

Exactly.

Maybe we weren’t clear. Ruger makers two versions of the single action .22.:
The wrangler would not be my preference over the RR. It’s also a better bang for the buck over the convertible .22:from Ruger. But is it better ?
My bad, I misunderstood. I've bought so many firearms, ammo and accessories over the last few years that right now my budget would be hard pressed to buy a squirt gun...........

The trigger-pull can be cut by half by simply dropping one leg of the trigger spring off it stud. It's a simple as taking off one side of the grip and dropping a leg off.

View attachment 570970

It's a old Blackhawk trick but unlike the Blackhawk you don't have to worry about light primer strikes. You can do the same to the New Model Single-Six too.
I could lI’ve with the trigger pull. It was the fking loading gate that was a pita.

Forum List

Back