Looking for a DA 22 lr revolver

I have to call bullshit on this. I have three Taurus revolvers, they are all ultra-reliable and accurate. I have had my .41 magnum Tracker for 20 years and have shot the piss out of it, it is still like new and going strong. My 357 and 22 mag snubbies are both going strong after many range sessions. They are inexpensive, not cheap. They are less expensive because they are made in Brazil. No other reason. And made on actual S&W equipment.

Just like every other brand including S&W you are going to find a lemon now and then. The big question to ask is "Do they stand behind their fireams and fix or replace anything defective?" and with zero hassle? I can attest that they do. The first 357 snubbie I ordered arrived defective right out of the box. They replaced it no questions asked and the replacement has run perfectly through hundreds of rounds. The press loves bad news and ignores any good news out there. That's why most of the press on Taurus is showing problems. Not the manufacturer's fault that the press is stupid. I have seen some very bad press on Charter Arms too. Do I believe it? No. They are in the same boat as Taurus ... a brand prima donnas with more money than brains look down their noses at.

I love my stainless 942 M 22 magnum

The grips on this are mango wood that I found somewhere on-line, and I got the Taurus medallions from a cheap set of plastic grips and used a forstner bit and inlaid them into these grips.

View attachment 567242

Then you got three of the seven reliable Taurus ever made. Congrats. Compared to SW and Ruger, Taurus makes junk.. In the lesser quality revolvers, I’d take a Charter Arms over any Taurus, any time , anywhere

Last edited:
They are less expensive because they are made in Brazil. No other reason. And made on actual S&W equipment.
Ha ha.
Thats just advertising crapLola you bought…..like fine Corinthian leather. Their quality control is shoddy and the materials use are substandard. They can only get away with it, because they aren’t made in the USA and enough of you gunners go for cheapies.

Then you got three of the seven reliable Taurus ever made. Congrats. Compared to SW and Ruger, Taurus makes junk.. In the lesser quality revolvers, I’d take a Charter Arms over any Taurus, any time , anywhere
You are obviously one of those prima donna S&W fan boys with more money than brains. You have my condolences. Your opinions are junk ... my Taurus revolvers are fine handguns. Tape a quarter to your opinion of Taurus and it might be worth two bits.

Now you listen here! This Mike, the supreme commander of this topic! You boys drop those attitudes, shake hands and then swap guns! Yawl can then polish them for the other!

Speaking of a complete lack of brains, if Taurus guns were indeed junk as you huff and puff about, Taurus would no longer be in business. Insteaad they are thriving. :cool:
In spite of dolts like you who spent three times as much money for their gun and just can't get their inflated egos around the fact that they wasted 2/3 of their money on hype. :auiqs.jpg:
Just too much butt-hurt for your ego to deal with. :iyfyus.jpg:

You are obviously one of those prima donna S&W fan boys with more money than brains. You have my condolences. Your opinions are junk ... my Taurus revolvers are fine handguns. Tape a quarter to your opinion of Taurus and it might be worth two bits.
Yup…It was Ruger or SW, nothing else. That’s all I shoot now for revolvers. Taurus has not done anything to change my mind. Show me how many US PD that uses Taurus. Like said, I’d take one as a gift and uses it till it till it failed or tired of it, then throw it away. I’d be too embarrassed to sell of trade to anyone who depended upon a hand gun.

Last edited:
I need a .22 DA revolver and after looking around I figured a Taurus 942 3 inch barrel would be a good choice. Not too pricey and having a good rep.

View attachment 489394

You can see them advertised for around 350.00. My wife like to shoot 22's and doesn't like my clunky Ruger SA that I have. So I thought a small DA revolver with a medium barrel length would be good except for one thing. Nobody that I have checked with has one. There are two gun stores and a pawn shop here and I called one and they said they had a Ruger LCR 22 DA so I went down and looked and it was a 22 mag and I didn't want that because I don't have any ammo for it and the ammo is expensive when you can find it. The guy said you could shoot lr in it in the same cylinder, and while that is true, it's not a good idea. I did it once with a Ruger Single Six inadvertently by loading the mag cylinder with lr ammo. It shot fine but the empties were really hard to punch out afterward. I later measured the mag ammo and the case is about 15 thousandths larger in diameter than the lr case. So it was a no go. Besides it was more than I wanted to pay at $550.00.

They did have 200 rounds of 45 acp which I bought for 120 dollars. I left an went to the other gun store and struck out there too, as he didn't have any. Zip for the pawnshop too. So I went home and gave up on it realizing that missus would have to wait. Then I remembered a feed store here that sold ammo and just for grins I called them and asked if they sold guns. They did. I asked if they had a DA 22lr revolver and they had 2, both Ruger LCRx models, one 22lr and one 22wmr with three inch barrels. They took trades also, so I got the pistol I wanted to get rid of and went down there and got it and had to pay 100 plus my trade in. The wife like it so all's well.

This is it. SA trigger pull is around 5 pounds and it's an 8 shot.

View attachment 489405
S&W makes a number of excellent .22 caliber revolvers. For example this Model 317 Kit Gun.

1637707479755.jpeg

(Note: if you use tis link you have to pick .revolver and 22LR.)

Another good choice for 22LR is a Ruger Mark IV

1637707790205.jpeg

Speaking of a complete lack of brains, if Taurus guns were indeed junk as you huff and puff about, Taurus would no longer be in business. Insteaad they are thriving. :cool:
In spite of dolts like you who spent three times as much money for their gun and just can't get their inflated egos around the fact that they wasted 2/3 of their money on hype. :auiqs.jpg:
They aren’t in business for many military or police handguns in the US. Geesus, Jennings Raven and others sold guns for a long time. Taurus, you never know. Their quality control is inconsistent. You can get one that shoots fine and the next one is a lemon. I’ll let you have your life depend on it….not me.

S&W makes a number of excellent .22 caliber revolvers. For example this Model 317 Kit Gun.

View attachment 567688

(Note: if you use tis link you have to pick .revolver and 22LR.)

Another good choice for 22LR is a Ruger Mark IV

View attachment 567692

Both excellent handguns. And either could be worth more in ten years then you paid for it…..especially a Kit Gun. Have an SR 22 which is excellent too. Also, an S&W air weight can’t be beat….

Now you listen here! This Mike, the supreme commander of this topic! You boys drop those attitudes, shake hands and then swap guns! Yawl can then polish them for the other!
Ha ha
Seriously ? I’m going to trade my S&W .357 Model 66 for anything made by Taurus. Let’s take a vote !!!
Would you supreme commander ? I’ll trust your opinion now.

Remember, IMO they are junk compared to the better revolvers from S&W, Colt, Ruger etc.

Sure, they may be better if Raven made a revolver or they brought back the old H&R.
seriously, if you want to save money, consider a Charter Arms Revolver…not my first choice, but…
Charter Arms makes a whole line of .22 revolvers……and they all work, made in the USA all with good warrantees.

Last edited:
Ha ha
Seriously ? I’m going to trade my S&W .357 Model 66 for anything made by Taurus. Let’s take a vote !!!
Would you supreme commander ? I’ll trust your opinion now.
Well, Mister Man, my Illudium Q-36 space modulator will beat your gun easily!

1637712581979.png

Here is my .22 revolver. It is a Taurus 942 M .22 mag. 8 rounds. Great shooter! Fits in my vest pocket. And its big brother, my 357 mag 605. and their really big brother, my .41s mag Tracker. All are great guns. I am a fan of Taurus. I think the Ruger LCR line is butt ugly. All of my .22LR guns are semi-autos. My little Beretta Bobcat lives in my blue jeans pocket ... if I have pants on, it is there!

If you are 100 yards away and I am shooting at you with any of these Taurus handguns, even the snubbies, you are in deep trouble.
I got one of these!

1637717553643.png

Remember, IMO they are junk compared to the better revolvers from S&W, Colt, Ruger etc.

Sure, they may be better if Raven made a revolver or they brought back the old H&R.
seriously, if you want to save money, consider a Charter Arms Revolver…not my first choice, but…
Charter Arms makes a whole line of .22 revolvers……and they all work, made in the USA all with good warrantees.
We have already established that your opinion isn't worth two bits if we remove the quarter taped to it. S&W or Ruger don't even MAKE an 8-shot .22LR revolver let alone one in .22WMR. Both S&W and Ruger have the occasional lemon hit the market, so we can apply your "logic" to them as well ... hit or miss, sometimes a good one sometimes junk.

I will say the the most accurate and fun .22 I have is my Ruger Competition with a nice red dot and a full compliment of Volquartsen parts.
MKII RUGER COMPETITION GRIP2 R.JPG

Forum List

Back