Longmire

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I cut the chord to cable last December and now stream my entertainment. I got hooked on Longmire before it was on Netflix and now I'm catching up.
I also read all the Longmire books. The TV show is nothing like the books except the characters, and one of the main characters, the female lead deputy is not how I pictured her to be at all.

I was thinking, last night, while watching one of the best (to me) episodes so far (somewhere in the 6th season) there are some really good actors and actresses who guest on the show- I had never heard of any of the main character actors until this show, except Lou Diamond Phillips. The last several episodes featured Graham Green whom I do recognize, and there was Gerald McRaney from the old Simon and Simon series who was featured in several episodes.

Also, the Bosch series has some good actors- I'm glad to see the platforms offering more people opportunity to display and get paid for their talent.

Never read the books. Watched it when it was first put out on Netflix. Not a bad series.

I watched it from beginning to end...sorry it's gone. I understand the town where it was based (at least was supposed to be based) had a few events to honor the show and its star. Cool.

Isn't it interesting how Lou Diamond Phillips can be plugged into any role that requires an "ethnic"? He can pass for Mexican, Native American, Asian, whatever.

• Banned
Never read the books. Watched it when it was first put out on Netflix. Not a bad series.
They were good books- if you like the atmosphere of the west- and I do.
CJ Box series about Joe Pickett game warden are actually better- I've read he and his wife negotiated making it a series but determined the producers wouldn't stick close enough to the actual stories and declined the offer.
For that I gained a great deal of respect for him.
The Bosch series books were/are really good and so is the TV show. But it isn't the books.
Lonesome Dove, my favorite movie of all time was a good movie. So is the book a good book. I've thorough;y enjoyed both multiple times.
Electric Mist, with Tommy Lee Jones was a good movie, and the Dave Robicheaux books by James Lee Burke are excellent reading. I always keep a pen handy when reading his books to mark lines and even paragraphs that make you think.

I cut the chord to cable last December and now stream my entertainment. I got hooked on Longmire before it was on Netflix and now I'm catching up.
I also read all the Longmire books. The TV show is nothing like the books except the characters, and one of the main characters, the female lead deputy is not how I pictured her to be at all.

I was thinking, last night, while watching one of the best (to me) episodes so far (somewhere in the 6th season) there are some really good actors and actresses who guest on the show- I had never heard of any of the main character actors until this show, except Lou Diamond Phillips. The last several episodes featured Graham Green whom I do recognize, and there was Gerald McRaney from the old Simon and Simon series who was featured in several episodes.

Also, the Bosch series has some good actors- I'm glad to see the platforms offering more people opportunity to display and get paid for their talent.
New season of Bosch starts today. We really like it.

• Banned
I watched it from beginning to end...sorry it's gone. I understand the town where it was based (at least was supposed to be based) had a few events to honor the show and its star. Cool.

Isn't it interesting how Lou Diamond Phillips can be plugged into any role that requires an "ethnic"? He can pass for Mexican, Native American, Asian, whatever.
From what I've read it's filmed mostly in New Mexico-

• Banned
New season of Bosch starts today. We really like it.
I did too, but Amazon and I got cross ways and I cancelled my prime membership- I watched all the episodes last year and was looking forward to this year- but, it, and Longmire are kind of like Lay's Potato Chips- I can't do just one :auiqs.jpg:and getting in on a new season means just one at a time- so I'll stay with netflix and get the whole bag when I'm ready LOL

They were good books- if you like the atmosphere of the west- and I do.
CJ Box series about Joe Pickett game warden are actually better- I've read he and his wife negotiated making it a series but determined the producers wouldn't stick close enough to the actual stories and declined the offer.
For that I gained a great deal of respect for him.
The Bosch series books were/are really good and so is the TV show. But it isn't the books.
Lonesome Dove, my favorite movie of all time was a good movie. So is the book a good book. I've thorough;y enjoyed both multiple times.
Electric Mist, with Tommy Lee Jones was a good movie, and the Dave Robicheaux books by James Lee Burke are excellent reading. I always keep a pen handy when reading his books to mark lines and even paragraphs that make you think.
Thanks for the recommendations but when it comes to reading material I much prefer things written on a slightly more thought provoking plane such a "A brief History of time" or " God created the integers" by Stephen Hawking. Or Brian Greene "quest for the ultimate theory"

Thanks for the recommendations but when it comes to reading material I much prefer things written on a slightly more thought provoking plane such a "A brief History of time" or " God created the integers" by Stephen Hawking. Or Brian Greene "quest for the ultimate theory"
You're welcome- I prefer to read stories, by good writers, who thoroughly research the projects- then apply the idea that knowledge isn't biased in its origin- for instance- "I Am Pilgrim" is an excellent read with well researched material on the origin of the Catholic Church/religion-
Good authors, IMO, use a psychological bent to their projects and many use actual History for reference- and James Lee Burke uses quotes, put into modern language of many famous philosophers and writers- good authors engage the reader, which, IMO, requires depth and understanding of human nature and a keen ability to present it, eloquently, sometimes prosaically-
History: An author I used to read, Elmer Kelton, wrote a story titled "The Time It Never Rained"- I actually remember adults in my family talking about the drought his story was about- the characters were a conglomerated mixture of the men and families he grew up around on a ranch in west Texas- it opened my eyes to how the gov't intervenes in our lives = knowledge, a first hand accounting- which led me to look at a lot of things differently = thought stimulating.
I say used to read because I've read nearly every book he's written- he died a few years ago so he's not producing anymore- one of his more famous stories was "The Good Old Boys" starring Tommy Lee Jones- it too was based on actual history, with fictional characters.

The book I'm reading now, Uncommon Valor, is History about WW2 and Iwo Jima (with real people)- it's a good story and enlightening = thought stimulation.
One thing I have learned from reading (besides the fact that I don't like technical manuals, regardless of content) is that it is thought stimulating- no matter what the material or the project and when presented in an engaging (to the reader) manner it will stimulate thought. That is THE reason I use political message boards- to stimulate thought- outside the box of the talking head stenographers on TV and radio- it is THE reason I post links from alternative sources- to stimulate thought.

Enjoyed the show. I liked the last little scene with the....

Well, you'll find out.
I watched the last episode night before last - the last scene was fitting- and, it reminded me- my sons and I went on a driving vacation years ago to Montana (from the Houston area)- we went 2500 miles, saw a lot and didn't see anything- somewhere, in Colorado (IMS) we passed a big, wide and long, very green open space with trees at the far end to our left and mountains to our right. I told the boys, the oldest was maybe 14, the youngest 9, that if I won a lottery I'd love to find a place like that and just start riding a horse with nothing for company but me and a cell phone- so that scene holds a special place in my memory-

I tried to watch Ozark- couldn't get into it.
Last night I started Godless. So far so good.

I tried to watch Ozark- couldn't get into it.
Last night I started Godless. So far so good.
Godless was pretty good.
People forget how much blood we spilled settling this land..... and not that long ago either.

People forget how much blood we spilled settling this land
Indeed- relentlessly- I expect they don't "think" about it- I find it ironic when I bring up how racist (and religiously dogmatic) people were that those who are quite racist and very religiously dogmatic agree with me that the actions were atrocious- it's ironic they don't see the same traits in themselves-

People forget how much blood we spilled settling this land
Indeed- relentlessly- I expect they don't "think" about it- I find it ironic when I bring up how racist (and religiously dogmatic) people were that those who are quite racist and very religiously dogmatic agree with me that the actions were atrocious- it's ironic they don't see the same traits in themselves-
I'm reading "Empire of The Summer Moon" right now, SC Gwynne..... every day was savage back then.

Forum List

Back